Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 04:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Actually, "slow speed sync" is not an exposure mode setting (on the mode dial), but it is a flash mode setting (in the flash menu), like HSS, wireless, red-eye reduction, etc. With SSS selected, you don't have to use M modes. Just let your camera do the metering (in Program, Tv, Av, etc) and the flash generally will just do a fill, not overpower the scene. I gathered from the OP that the flash was overpowering the subject.

Not suggesting that the camera can read the photographer's mind when metering, but SSS always gets you close, if not right from the first shot. Then shift the program line or flash compensation to adjust as needed.

Just give it a try, that's what it's for, per the manual -- something about "beautifully blended background lighting," to paraphrase.

Edit: On the K-5, the SSS mode is available as an explicit flash selection in P, Sv, and Av modes. Whereas in Tv and TAv modes, (and M mode of course,) SSS is implied by the actual shutter speed which is selected, so SSS is greyed out. See page 183 in the K-5 user manual.

Last edited by Tanzer; 07-18-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Incorrectly described SSS as being applicable in Tv mode.
07-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I can't thank enough the people who replied and offered several ways to do this type of photography.

So, I will, as I mentioned earlier, get out there when time permits, and take a few shots, practicing most of the suggestions.

This is going to be a real "going back to school" project ... my brain seems to function a bit slower these days !

I will be back a post some pics (good or bad ... ) and ask for more info, I am sure.

Cheers for now.

JP
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understand you right:

Do you want to:

"shoot portraits at sunset because the sky is gorgeous but the problems is that your subject comes out as a silhouette or if you use a flash the subject looks washed out. Here is how to get great sunset portraits:
1. Make sure the flash is off
2. Turn your camera from the subject and aim at that sky
3. Hold the shutter half-way down to lock the exposure
4. Keep holding the shutter halfway down and recompose your portrait
5. Now turn on the flash
6. Press the shutter fully to take the shot

Your subject gets fill flash, while still keeping the sky great"

For more tips like this, get this book:
The Digital Photography Book: Scott Kelby: 9780321474049: Amazon.com: Books

P.S: This is a great 'how to' book when beginning to try different kinds of photography. No bs just gets straight to the point
07-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
This depends on the configuration of your camera. Generally, holding the shutter release half pressed won´t lock exposure. That´s what the AE-L button is for.

07-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I think it was the Strobist website that did a nice write up on this which i cannot find now
Basically you use an off camera flash, bare (or with gells) and you balance the sun directly with the flash. You meter for the camera for the background, and let the flash expose the subject.

Edit:
Found it
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09/lighting-102-31-balance-flashsun.html
FYI, I love that website. Basically, the moral of the story, get the flash off the camera
07-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
1. Make sure the flash is off
2. Turn your camera from the subject and aim at that sky
5. Now turn on the flash
6. Press the shutter fully to take the shot

[/I]
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
This depends on the configuration of your camera. Generally, holding the shutter release half pressed won´t lock exposure. That´s what the AE-L button is for.
You'd also need to use MF or the AF button on the rear of the camera. If you tried the above with my camera, you would lock focus at infinity.