Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Celebrate What is Right With the World

Celebrate What is Right With the World by Dewitt Jones. Photographer for National Geographic for over 20 years. An inspirational and moving 22 minute video that is worth the time.

I hope you enjoy
MySpaceTV Videos: Celebrate What's Right With The World by Lazarus! - The Resurrected

03-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

LaRee,
I don't know about you , but I think everyone on this forum should watch that video. It's excellent in word and content.
03-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you, Thank you for posting this. What an amazing individual with a truly inspiring message not only for out photography but for our life.
03-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Banned

Wonderful. thank you for the link.

03-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love Dewitt Jones' approach and attitude. I keep the bookmark to this column of his in my "Favorites". Stay, This Moment | Outdoorphotographer.com The other Nat'l Geographic photographer that he mentions in that column, Sam Abell, is a similarly "thoughty" photographer.

Thanks for passing along the link to this video.
03-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

I took a look at this video and at first thought - gee this looks like a motivational film. Guess what - it is - and it is not inexpensive if you go to the site shown at the end of the piece.

StarThrower is a business motivational company that sells this video for $750:
Celebrate What's Right With The World

Now I am not complaining that the video was linked too from here - and it is a good lesson in one partictular approach to photography. Some of the basic practices mentioned in this video reflect the "18 rules" that I gathered after a National Geographic Photographic Expediition I attended in 2005. The NG photographer at that workshop has taken a slightly different track in his career:
bob sacha National Geographic Portfolio
sacha phlog
MediaStorm: A Multimedia Production Studio Founded by Brian Storm - Photojournalism, Photography, Video, Audio, Storytelling

Now I am not trying to say that Dewitt is less of a photographer than anyone else, his approach to taking pictures is solid and he links to his subjects on a personal level. While Bob is not a much of a landscape photographer as Dewitt - one of the first things we had to do in the workshop was go out and photograph three people who we did not know - head shots, fill the frame, get close. We had to talk to them and get their verbal permission to get the shot - something I do to this day when I street shoot. Hard thing to do but it is rewarding, in that I have met quite a few interesting people - and it is still hard to walk up and start taking pictures of people and not feel a little uncomfortable.

What I have issues with - is the business motivation BS. I hope Dewitt can make a lot of money off of it (as long as his videos are not pirated and put on the web for free) but in my experience, when the marketing people start forcing you to watch videos like this - your company is getting ready to can a major proportion of their staff, or the preverbial toilet is your companies next direction.

As for motivational stuff - I prefer:
Despair, Inc.
Now that stuff will motivate you. (I have two mugs)

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 03-22-2008 at 02:07 PM.
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
LaRee,
I don't know about you , but I think everyone on this forum should watch that video. It's excellent in word and content.
I think it is a beautifully done video and I found it inspirational. I am glad you did too.

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Thank you, Thank you for posting this. What an amazing individual with a truly inspiring message not only for out photography but for our life.
Your welcome. I like the message the video delivers too.

QuoteOriginally posted by seamuis Quote
Wonderful. thank you for the link.
Glad you enjoyed it like I did.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I love Dewitt Jones' approach and attitude. I keep the bookmark to this column of his in my "Favorites". Stay, This Moment | Outdoorphotographer.com The other Nat'l Geographic photographer that he mentions in that column, Sam Abell, is a similarly "thoughty" photographer.

Thanks for passing along the link to this video.
Thank you for posting your response. It is nice to know that others appreciate the link.

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I took a look at this video and at first thought - gee this looks like a motivational film. Guess what - it is - and it is not inexpensive if you go to the site shown at the end of the piece.

StarThrower is a business motivational company that sells this video for $750:
Celebrate What's Right With The World

Now I am not complaining that the video was linked too from here - and it is a good lesson in one partictular approach to photography. Some of the basic practices mentioned in this video reflect the "18 rules" that I gathered after a National Geographic Photographic Expediition I attended in 2005. The NG photographer at that workshop has taken a slightly different track in his career:
bob sacha National Geographic Portfolio
sacha phlog
MediaStorm: A Multimedia Production Studio Founded by Brian Storm - Photojournalism, Photography, Video, Audio, Storytelling

Now I am not trying to say that Dewitt is less of a photographer than anyone else, his approach to taking pictures is solid and he links to his subjects on a personal level. While Bob is not a much of a landscape photographer as Dewitt - one of the first things we had to do in the workshop was go out and photograph three people who we did not know - head shots, fill the frame, get close. We had to talk to them and get their verbal permission to get the shot - something I do to this day when I street shoot. Hard thing to do but it is rewarding, in that I have met quite a few interesting people - and it is still hard to walk up and start taking pictures of people and not feel a little uncomfortable.

What I have issues with - is the business motivation BS. I hope Dewitt can make a lot of money off of it (as long as his videos are not pirated and put on the web for free) but in my experience, when the marketing people start forcing you to watch videos like this - your company is getting ready to can a major proportion of their staff, or the preverbial toilet is your companies next direction.

As for motivational stuff - I prefer:
Despair, Inc.
Now that stuff will motivate you. (I have two mugs)

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
Well fortunately for us, we don't have to pay anything to watch the video and be inspired. It sounds like you learned some good photographic techniques from your participation in the National Geographic Photographic Expedition. Good for you to learn a new technique or/and approach. It must have been quite an experience to be able to attend that!
I've never seen the dispair.com website. It is kind of funny in a sad way I guess. I know sometimes inspirational sells can be a bit much. But in general, I don't see why someone would have an issue with a good inspirational message?