Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to take pictures like this?

How can I take pictures like this?

[edit:] specifically, how to achieve the dreamy quality about it.

Last edited by song_hm; 07-21-2013 at 08:11 AM.
07-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry about the size, could not figure out how to scale it down. This was posted to wallbase.
07-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Find a good location and wait for the right light.
Not sure what else you expect to hear?
07-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Find a good location and wait for the right light.
And use the right kit, Pentax of course.

07-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Or bring a normal photograph to the Photoshop Massage Institute.

Seriously though, I think comes down to the old stuff about work, work, work and a bit of luck.
07-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

Looks like it could be HDR to me, right? Plus likely other post processing to adjust tone and contrast.

I'm just learning the technique myself, so search HDR ("High Dynamic Range") in these forums for real directions. But basically what you are doing is taking multiple exposures and them combining them into one photo. So for example, you would take one shot each at -1 EV, 0 EV, and +1 EV. Most cameras can be set up to do either 3 or 5 steps automatically ("exposure bracketing"). Then you combine the photos - some cameras can do it internally, but most likely you will have to it later with your PP software. The idea is that you capture all of the dynamic range in the shadows and the highlights so nothing gets clipped.

This is a really good explanation I found: High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography in Photoshop

I'm guessing even with this technique there is a lot of work required in post to get a final product like this. It will take some practice.
07-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by knaster Quote
Or bring a normal photograph to the Photoshop Massage Institute
Aren't we being a tad cynical.

But worryingly I know exactly where your coming from with that statement.

07-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It doesn't look like HDR. There would be no need to add the graduated mask at the top to darken the sky if so. It's all in the selective adjustment of light and dark areas of the image in post.
07-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Aren't we being a tad cynical.

But worryingly I know exactly where your coming from with that statement.
Ha ha. I agree. It can be intimidating because of all the software possibilities. Seems like you're not just learning photography, but you have to become a software expert and graphic designer at the same time!
07-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It doesn't look like HDR. There would be no need to add the graduated mask at the top to darken the sky if so. It's all in the selective adjustment of light and dark areas of the image in post.
I was going by the purplish tone of the rocks. But you're probably right. In any case, lots of Photoshop, for sure.
07-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
Looks like it could be HDR to me, right? Plus likely other post processing to adjust tone and contrast.

I'm just learning the technique myself, so search HDR ("High Dynamic Range") in these forums for real directions. But basically what you are doing is taking multiple exposures and them combining them into one photo. So for example, you would take one shot each at -1 EV, 0 EV, and +1 EV. Most cameras can be set up to do either 3 or 5 steps automatically ("exposure bracketing"). Then you combine the photos - some cameras can do it internally, but most likely you will have to it later with your PP software. The idea is that you capture all of the dynamic range in the shadows and the highlights so nothing gets clipped.

This is a really good explanation I found: High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography in Photoshop

I'm guessing even with this technique there is a lot of work required in post to get a final product like this. It will take some practice.
I am suspecting HDR as well. I've shunned HDR myself because the result is usually revolting (IMHO). But this one is really smooth. I can barely see any halo (on the upper third far background between the sky and mountain ridges).

What I find striking:
- foreground is well contrasted while exposure in the sky and far background are clearly subdued
- relatively rich saturation inspite of low light

Last edited by song_hm; 07-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
07-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One key to this image is composition, which has nothing to do with gear, except maybe available focal lenght.
In a case like this, if wind is not an issue, a longish exposure (~1/2 second or so) with a small aperture (~f22) will help get everything in focus at the cost of using a sturdy tripod.
Hyperfocal focusing can also help.
Careful post processing is also part of this.

Thanks,
07-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is another. Long exposure taken during low light, the far sky is correctly exposed, one would expect lots of dark
shadows in area facing the camera, but the opposite is true, many of the side of building facing the viewer are lit,
the yellow and red buildings are relatively saturated.

cityscapes Kuala Lumpur cities - Wallpaper (#2926701) / Wallbase.cc.
07-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main aspects that give it the "dreamy" look are side/back and relatively soft lighting and atmospheric haze/cloud--the latter is the reason not to use UV filters w/ film when doing mountains/near-far relationships. Actually I am not sure if digital is as effective as film in this regard.
07-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And it appears some fill in flash was used for the foreground.