Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Advice on Lighting for Macro shooting of an old pocket watch

Hi guys,
Today my uncle asked me if I could photograph one very old pocket watch (About a 100 years old!) so I took my M50/4 MACRO 1:2 and AFA 1.7x in case I needed to get closer (I havenīt been able to find affordable extension tubes yet!). I also used a polarizer filter to minimize reflections from the fluorescent desk lamp I used for lighting.
I think this is my main problem, how to set lighting and what type of light is better to use and exposing acordingly. I wonīt buy a dedicated macro flash because I donīt do much macro. I donīt even have a normal flash yet!

I tried exposing to the right and post processed in LR4, abusing clarity and sharpness sliders after setting exposure as I think looks good.

Iīd also like some critique on composition and any ideas for it.
Thanks for your imput.

07-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Hi guys,
Today my uncle asked me if I could photograph one very old pocket watch (About a 100 years old!) so I took my M50/4 MACRO 1:2 and AFA 1.7x in case I needed to get closer (I havenīt been able to find affordable extension tubes yet!). I also used a polarizer filter to minimize reflections from the fluorescent desk lamp I used for lighting.
I think this is my main problem, how to set lighting and what type of light is better to use and exposing acordingly. I wonīt buy a dedicated macro flash because I donīt do much macro. I donīt even have a normal flash yet!

I tried exposing to the right and post processed in LR4, abusing clarity and sharpness sliders after setting exposure as I think looks good.

Iīd also like some critique on composition and any ideas for it.
Thanks for your imput.

What you need is a lighting tent. It is small, boxy in shape with white semi-transparent walls and roof, with a hole at the front for the camera lens.

Put the object you want to photograph inside the tent, and put your lights/flashes outside the tend. The semi-transparent walls will diffuse the light going into the tent so you won't have the highlights you are getting from the direct lighting.

B&H sell many types - One example - Interfit Light Pod Medium "Cocoon" Shooting Tent

Regards

Chris
07-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
At a minimum use a reflector to bounce softer light on to the watch; something at least as big as a letter or A4 size of white paper. But as seventhdr says - no direct lights, especially not with the watch crystal.
07-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If using tripod, you can try using only natural light in the room.

07-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys! I will make a tent myself and give it another try.