Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-7 shooting moving objects

Respect,

I need advice from more experienced users Pentax. What is the best mode for taking pictures of moving objects? I want that object to be sharp on the photo, not a "smear". What are the settings, in your opinion and experience, the best? I have Pentax K-7.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

07-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You'll want to set the camera to TV mode (aka s or shutter priority) and select a fast shutter speed of at least 1/250s or 1/500s. Also, set the af mode to continuous. Finally, you may want to consider disabling the shake reduction, as it has a minimal effect at high shutter speeds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, you probably want to be on continuous auto focus mode. Also shutter priority is a good idea, since your main concern is freezing the motion of the object. The shutter should be fast in order to stop the motion, however the ideal shutter speed would depend on the actual speed of the object. The faster the movement the faster the shutter needs to be.

Something you could try to experiment with is called "panning" where you use a relatively slower shutter speed (one that normally would result in a blur) but you try to follow the object as closely as possible by keeping in the same position in the frame as it is moving by you. This results in the object being relatively "frozen" but the motion is captured by smearing the background. I think it looks pretty awesome but it is more difficult to achieve as it is a harder technique to master. A monopod could be helpful for something like that. Here is an example in panning (I just googled it):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/1776470208_918607a11a.jpg?v=0
07-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'll want to set the camera to TV mode (aka s or shutter priority) and select a fast shutter speed of at least 1/250s or 1/500s. Also, set the af mode to continuous. Finally, you may want to consider disabling the shake reduction, as it has a minimal effect at high shutter speeds.
Thanks, Adam. I'll try that.

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Well, you probably want to be on continuous auto focus mode. Also shutter priority is a good idea, since your main concern is freezing the motion of the object. The shutter should be fast in order to stop the motion, however the ideal shutter speed would depend on the actual speed of the object. The faster the movement the faster the shutter needs to be.

Something you could try to experiment with is called "panning" where you use a relatively slower shutter speed (one that normally would result in a blur) but you try to follow the object as closely as possible by keeping in the same position in the frame as it is moving by you. This results in the object being relatively "frozen" but the motion is captured by smearing the background. I think it looks pretty awesome but it is more difficult to achieve as it is a harder technique to master. A monopod could be helpful for something like that. Here is an example in panning (I just googled it):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/1776470208_918607a11a.jpg?v=0
Yes, I know what panning is, I'm achieve that with Sony NEX 5N, but not yet with my Pentax. I have monopod, but don't have time for practice.
Thanks for suggestion.

07-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Some answers will depend upon what type of moving objects: passing by you (sidewise) or moving towards you.

As indicated by Adam, you need to use high shutter speed. Tv mode, or hypermode P and setting manually the shutter speed with the front wheel. If lighting is limited, you will need to use a fast lens (f1.4 to f2.8) because the K-7 does not deliver good high-ISO shots, compared to the newer Pentax bodies. (I speak in full knowledge, having a K-7 as primary body and K-01 as secondary body.)

If the object moves towards you, you may consider AF-C, but I recommend to use MF and Hi Continuous shooting. Set the focal ring distance to the distance where you want to shot. When the object starts to move towards you, start shooting MF with fast shutter speed (1/200s min) before the object reaches the target point and continue the burst until the object passes the target. Out of the sequence (Hi continuous shooting), you will get 1-3 good shots depending upon your skills.

Lastly consider to set ISO manually to the lowest setting possible with your light conditions. ISO 100 is great on the K-7, and you can boot ISO up to ISO 800 with minimum noise, but not above.

Hope that the comments may help.

Last edited by hcc; 07-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.
07-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Some answers will depend upon what type of moving objects: passing by you (sidewise) or moving towards you.

As indicated by Adam, you need to use high shutter speed. Tv mode, or hypermode P and setting manually the shutter speed with the front wheel. If lighting is limited, you will need to use a fast lens (f1.4 to f2.8) because the K-7 does not deliver good high-ISO shots, compared to the newer Pentax bodies. (I speak in full knowledge, having a K-7 as primary body and K-01 as secondary body.)

If the object moves towards you, you may consider AF-C, but I recommend to use MF and Hi Continuous shooting. Set the focal ring distance to the distance where you want to shot. When the object starts to move towards you, start shooting MF with fast shutter speed (1/200s min) before the object reaches the target point and continue the burst until the object passes the target. Out of the sequence (Hi continuous shooting), you will get 1-3 good shots depending upon your skills.

Lastly consider to set ISO manually to the lowest setting possible with your light conditions. ISO 100 is great on the K-7, and you can boot ISO up to ISO 800 with minimum noise, but not above.

Hope that the comments may help.
Wow, hcc, great and detailed tutorial! Thank you su much!