Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PEF previewing

I just got my K10D. Great camera. I think I will use the PEF RAW format because it is more compressed. theres only on problem I can't see a thumnail preview. I have photoshop CS3 but unlike my fuji raws this does not mean that a PEF raw can have a visible thumnail image in windows explorer. I installed a plugin thingy from arcsoft that is suppost to be able to create thumbnails for a number of formats in cluding pentaxes but no luck, this can be a problem when I have a few thousand images any solutions ?

03-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

are you using windows vista, or XP?
03-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
XP

Vista for me is "just not an option" unless I'm looking to downgrade hehe
03-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

XP unfortunately doesn't support displaying the PEF raw formats, while vista does.. if you have windows live, the photo gallery will show thumbnails, but there's no way to get them to show up in explorer, from what i've found

03-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well the fuji file don'r preview in windows but with photoshop or fujis raw converter installed they are preveiwed, I downloaded the arcsoft thumnail plug in that is supposed to allow thumbnails of PEF (pentax raw) but I still don't get thumbnails. hm perhaps irfanview or adobe bridge can preview them only problem with irfanview is that its slow and has to re preview every time rather than save the thumbnails like bridge does
03-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

adobe bridge can generate previews. also, if, in CS3, you select the 'Use Adobe Dialog' button on the bottom left corner, the load have preview thumbnails for each image.
03-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yea looks like I'll have to use bridge irfanview cannot open the images in photoshop there is an open in one of three editor option but they need configuring and I can't find any optiions dialog in irfanview

03-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Follow the link in Reps thread found here I'm using this on my Win XP SP-2 machine and it's very slick. Tends to slow things down a bit when processing thumbnails, but ya gotta give a little to get a little.
03-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks i'll take a look anything is better than nothing irfanview is very snappy at getting thumbnails so I think it is reading a thumbnail in the raw file (as the mouse roll over says its a 640 X 480 pixel image so must be an inbeded thumbnail) but I don't mind a wait
03-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok its working fine now except that that link you provided is not working but I just googled it
03-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Even though I have Vista display my PEFs and LR organize my RAW workflow, I trust my good old image database more.

For this, I use ThumbsPlus (AcdSee is similiar). It looks like Windows Explorer, works blazingly fast (no problem to have 100000 thumbnails...), supports RAW ... If I have to look up on topic, everything else is too slow. (The thing even does PSing, printing, ...)
03-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
PDL
Pentaxian

Windows XP does not support native file system viewing of RAW images. MS did make a RAW viewer for a while - but it only supported N*kon and C*non cameras and a few models at that.

Vista supports WIC (Windows Image Components) where the camera manufacture is responsible for creating codex's for their proprietary formats. On Vista with the Pentax codex loaded, you can see PEF thumbnails via the file system. I do not think that Adobe supports a codex for DNG - yet (their words). Adobe has had over a year of Vista in the wild to produce the DNG codex - and they have not to my knowledge - but "they" are working on it -- yeah right.

There have been some rumors that XP's sp3 will allow the use of WIC - I hope that is true since my tablet PC will not run Vista and I would really like to be able to see what I want to work on. I do not have any insight as to the timing of sp3 either.

There are third party tools that will allow you to view RAW files of multiple flavors as an add-on to Explorer. Personally, I tend to shy away from them due to some bad ju-ju that happened a long time ago and a somewhat intimate knowledge of how software development works. (I have a BS in CS and I am currently supporting 200+ software engineers -- keeping their servers running)

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
03-22-2008, 03:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well DNG was readable from day 1 of me getting the camera I think having CS3 installed gives that