Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #1

Anyone feel a little... guilty...?

Maybe guilty isn't the word.. maybe it's pitty... for people who don't truley understand pentax's potenial for greatness?

I got my K10D this week, have to say I really like it a lot.. My fiance' is wanting to get a panasonic FZ50.I am trying to get him to go with a K100D and we could share lenses... but he doesn't want a DSLR because he doesn't want to carry lenses..

So I am just feeling bad because I have an awesome camera and he doesn't understand he doesn't have to suffer with something of lesser quality.

P.S.
Look at me! A Pentax user for a week and already showing and ego....Good grief! LOL

03-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Igilligan

No pity...

I think all the entry level dslr's have their own things they do well. So no pity.

And the Panny is a fine P&S bridge cam and a great daylight shooter... But I like your idea of the K100d and sharing lenses. If he is really wanting a bridge-ish 1 lens option. Get him the 18-250 to start him off.

Show him these shots that were taken at ISO 3200 with a K100d, and remind him that the Panny can only go to about ISO 200 before the noise starts affecting the IQ. The K100d is so much more versitile, and has more room for growth. Plus the idea of sharing lenses is such a great idea and symbolic of sharing your life together... oh I am tearing up.
Attachment 9764

Attachment 9765

Last edited by Igilligan; 05-30-2008 at 08:54 PM.
03-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
Maybe guilty isn't the word.. maybe it's pitty... for people who don't truley understand pentax's potenial for greatness?

I got my K10D this week, have to say I really like it a lot.. My fiance' is wanting to get a panasonic FZ50.I am trying to get him to go with a K100D and we could share lenses... but he doesn't want a DSLR because he doesn't want to carry lenses..

So I am just feeling bad because I have an awesome camera and he doesn't understand he doesn't have to suffer with something of lesser quality.

P.S.
Look at me! A Pentax user for a week and already showing and ego....Good grief! LOL
Pentax is addictive, isn't it? Don't expect to get over it. With me it happened in the summer of 1960, and I'm still using Pentax equipment.
03-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yea get him to get a decent zoom lens he can use for everyday things and then when he wants to expand you can share the same lens kit. I've just moved to a K10D from a fuji S6500fd and oh boy in less than a week I've got an ego about my pentax and I've hardly had time to use it, I had to take the manual to work and read it whilst waiting for stuff to come out of the machine to be packed (1.5 minutes between packs nice and easy). its a great improvement on the fuji bridge.

the only thing I feel guilty about is spending 500 pounds before I had my first wages but I came on an irresistable deal: K10D + 18-55 lens + tamaron 70-300 lens + 4 GB SDHC card + carrying case all for 500 an as the comapny messed up and sent it curiour instead of royal mail they refunded me the full postage costs so I even got free delivery

Last edited by simons-photography; 03-21-2008 at 09:46 AM.
03-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Tell him to get the Pentax K100D and the DA 18-200mm lens and he won't have to swap or carry any lenses. And the IQ will blow away ANY p&s/bridge camera..
03-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Tell him to get the Pentax K100D and the DA 18-200mm lens and he won't have to swap or carry any lenses. And the IQ will blow away ANY p&s/bridge camera..
I whole heartedly agree, in a year you can give him your K10D and get a K20D yourself and still be fine on the same lens kit
03-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Pentax is addictive, isn't it? Don't expect to get over it. With me it happened in the summer of 1960, and I'm still using Pentax equipment.
LOL
03-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
I used the Panny for a few times but I hated that "camcorder Like" screen and viewfinder. It was nice not having to change lenses but I have a feeling... yes I think it is true... I think I am a LBA!!!!!! Is there a support group? I may need it, fiance' may need a spousal group too, he is angry at my obsession....

sharing lenses would be take our relationship to a whole new level of love... ... LOl

03-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry,
Either he becomes infected with the Pentax (or dSLR) bug and joins in on your craziness, or he's totally immune from the bug.

One things for sure, if he's prone to it, it won't take long - a few stunning pictures with your K10D will draw him to start taking a few himself with it, then it's all downhill from there I'm afraid!
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Psst, hey mgirl, come here a minute. (looking nervously in both directions) Lookie what I got here under my coat. I hear you might want to try a little LBA...well, I've got some for you to try...it's OK, this is the good stuff so you won't get hooked or anything. This LBA nowadays is real pure, no bad vibes or anything...(twirling the ends of my mustache and swirling my cape) I think we're gonna have a real good time!
03-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
sharing lenses would be take our relationship to a whole new level of love... ... LOl

The first thing I imagined was a couple arguing who should use their 50mm f/1.4.
03-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
The first thing I imagined was a couple arguing who should use their 50mm f/1.4.
You can have my 50mm f/1.4 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

He's a male; appeal to his sense of logic.

"Honey....I'm going to have you toting all my lenses around like a pack mule regardless of what you get. So you may as well get a camera that can use them too."
03-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I had (have) a Panasonix Lumix TZ3 - the Panasonics have excellent image quality with their Leica-badged lenses built in, but IQ drops off the map in low light and high ISO. That little sensor is a toy compared to a DSLR sensor, but most people don't realize that until they get into low light situations.

The whole reason I went to DSLR was when I saw some images a co-worker shot with his Canon 10D at ISO 800... ISO 800 on my TZ3 was pretty much unusable - think ISO 3200 on K100D or 6400 on K20D. The first evening I had my K100D I took a shot in a dim room with the FA 50 1.4 wide open at ISO 800 and was absolutely blown away, and hooked for life - The Lumix has been used only 2 or 3 times since then.

Seriously, set up a quick side-by-side photo shoot comparison in a tungsten-lit room some evening - then, lower the lighting bit by bit, increasing ISO to compensate. His images will start getting bad at ISO 400, and by ISO 1200 he'll... 'see the light'. Your ISO 1600 in low light will look like his ISO 200 in low light (trust me, I've done the comparison, it's that dramatic of a difference.)

Next thing you'll know he'll be browsing adorama.com, and you guys can be co-dependent LBA-ers. Any lens purchase is justified then

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-22-2008 at 06:05 PM.
03-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

yea I took a picture of my computer desk with my K10D at ISO 400 and know very well that my old fuji digicam (4.5 crop factor) would never have gotten anywhere near it in how little noise there was