Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
is SR effective

I've heard alot about SR from pentax but is it really effective. I've understood that if on a tripod its best not to use it (hm they could have put a switch in the tripod screw socket to turn it off automatically).

I was tinking it could be put to lets say creative use, I've been mesmorized by the idea of panning (starts to duck rotten veg and eggs being thrown this way ) but i was thinking if it is effective wouldn't it help in panning as it would help track the subject and to hec with the background we want it blured anyway if we are panning, would this work

I don't know the specifics of how the SR works but I am curious to know by how much lest say percentage of the frame the sensor can shift....

03-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put simply- yes, SR is very effective and really handy in low-light situations. Check out these photos to see SR in action: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/998-k10d-sr-test-l...le-images.html

As long as your tripod is sturdy, yes, SR should be disabled. But if you find yourself using a 600mm lens on a windy day, it will definitely sharpen your photo!

I'm not sure what the effects of SR on panning would be, but my guess is that the areas of the image that would normally suffer from motion blur would show up just a tiny bit sharper.

I hope this helps you out!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
I've understood that if on a tripod its best not to use it (hm they could have put a switch in the tripod screw socket to turn it off automatically).
I hope they don't add a switch like that. I have my quick release plate on my camera at all times. So the switch would always think I was on my tripod and I wouldn't be able to use SR.
03-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shake Reduction works. I can hand hold at least two stops slower on the shutter speeds with my 400, sometimes three, and once four - it depends on how shaky my hands are on a given day, how fast the wind is blowing, etc.

Shake Reduction does nothing for subject motion, only for the movements of the camera body itself.

Shake Reduction in panning is an interesting problem. Pentax does not appear to say anything about SR and panning. Other camera systems have two levels of SR, one for panning and the other for normal shooting. I think one would have to try panning with and without to determine which is best. I think, subject to testing, that the results would depend heavily on how smooth the pan is. If you pan very, very smoothly, the movement sensors in the camera might not detect and correct horizontal motion, while still correcting vertical movements.

On a tripod, SR is turned off because it tries too hard to find motion, and ends up moving the sensor when it should not be moved.

03-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard alot about SR from pentax but is it really effective. I've understood that if on a tripod its best not to use it (hm they could have put a switch in the tripod screw socket to turn it off automatically).
That would permanently turn off shake reduction on my camera. The grip mounts to the tripod socket.
03-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That would permanently turn off shake reduction on my camera. The grip mounts to the tripod socket.
QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
I hope they don't add a switch like that. I have my quick release plate on my camera at all times. So the switch would always think I was on my tripod and I wouldn't be able to use SR.
yes you guys are right stupidly I never thought of it I also tend to keep my tripods quike release plate on the camera
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Definitely yes, SR is very useful.

I've left SR on before whilst using a tripod - fortunately noticed after only a few shots so switched it off & reshot, I did notice that the non-SR shots were slightly softer, unfortunately I deleted them otherwise I would post them to show the difference. I now always turn SR off when using the tripod

simon

03-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
my main thought with panning is where is the movement detected ? if its at the centre or on the selected focussing point then it could help track the moving subject but if its going to take spots from all over the frame it would get mighty confused
03-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my main thought with panning is where is the movement detected ? if its at the centre or on the selected focussing point then it could help track the moving subject but if its going to take spots from all over the frame it would get mighty confused
I think it's actually gyroscopic detection, not image detection. That's why we have to tell the camera how much image motion will be caused by the shake, based on focal length magnification of the image.
03-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it's actually gyroscopic detection, not image detection. That's why we have to tell the camera how much image motion will be caused by the shake, based on focal length magnification of the image.
I take it that by gyroscope you mean an internal motion sensor that detects and measures the motion, that sort of makes sense for having to tell it what lens in use but I would have thought that it would be much more effective to use the sensor to "track" the subject it would be really cool if it could help with panning
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I take it that by gyroscope you mean an internal motion sensor that detects and measures the motion, that sort of makes sense for having to tell it what lens in use but I would have thought that it would be much more effective to use the sensor to "track" the subject it would be really cool if it could help with panning
Cool - and expensive to do.
03-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool - and expensive to do.
why exspensive ? the image sensor is already there it would just mean a different interfacing for the image sensor as oposed to a motion sensor
03-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've used SR while panning at sow speed and it did work. I think when the motion sensor detects a steady movement in only one direction, it starts compensating and then finds out it is a steady movement and doesn't act on it anymore. I may be wrong, but it is how it feels to me.
03-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I've used SR while panning at sow speed and it did work. I think when the motion sensor detects a steady movement in only one direction, it starts compensating and then finds out it is a steady movement and doesn't act on it anymore. I may be wrong, but it is how it feels to me.
well in that case its no help at all in panning, I'm not really asking if panning will work with the SR on but if it will aid in getting a better picture by helping track the subject more acurately, but if its a motion detector then it won't help at all just make a mess of it if you go right the sensor goes left it will make things worse as its geared up for keeping in the same position not moving with the subject
03-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

well in that case its no help at all in panning, I'm not really asking if panning will work with the SR on but if it will aid in getting a better picture by helping track the subject more acurately, but if its a motion detector then it won't help at all just make a mess of it if you go right the sensor goes left it will make things worse as its geared up for keeping in the same position not moving with the subject
There is no tracking going on. Object tracking is something very far away from digital cameras, the technologies available now like face recognition, smile detection and AF tracking all rely on contrast and color, identifying an object and it's exact position and boundaries in the frame is a task you couldn't achieve even with your quad-core desktop computer.

The manual says "turn off SR for panning". You're right, when you pan with SR on, it will try to correct your horizontal movement, moving the sensor in the opposite direction, ruining your tracking and causing blur to the subject. Some cameras have a Panning mode where it only corrects vertical movement, that's something Pentax could deploy.