Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Raw editing problem

hi, i've been using pentax photo laboratory for some time and i liked it.
today i opened a photo in Photoshop and opened image/image size and it said that the photo has 3000/2000 @ 72dpi. this is a big problem as you imagine. i've looked in pentax photo laboratory's settings but i can't find where to change the dpi size from.
any help would be greatly apreciated.
tanks

03-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't worry too much about the resolution. the essential is that the overal pixel count is correct, I assume we are talking about a 6 Mp image (2000 X 3000 = 6'000'000 pixels).

you can process most raw files with photoshop itself, just open it up from photoshop and you will get put through adobes own raw converter and then you can save the image or continue to edit it in photoshop

Last edited by simons-photography; 03-21-2008 at 02:54 PM.
03-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
I wouldn't worry too much about the resolution the essential is that the overal pixel count is correct I assume we are talking about a 6 Mp image (2000 X 3000 = 6'000'000 pixels). you can process most raw files with photoshop itself just open it up from photoshop and you will get put through adobes own raw converter and then you can save the image or continue to edit it in photoshop
Pardon me, simons-photography, but I find your post very difficult to read without punctuation.
03-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by florin Quote
hi, i've been using pentax photo laboratory for some time and i liked it.
today i opened a photo in Photoshop and opened image/image size and it said that the photo has 3000/2000 @ 72dpi. this is a big problem as you imagine. i've looked in pentax photo laboratory's settings but i can't find where to change the dpi size from.
any help would be greatly apreciated.
tanks
How exactly is this a big problem...?
When your printing yes DPI is something to look into, but if the picture is going to stay on your computer it is a meaningless thing...

Thanks

03-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Even when printing you can set at what dpi (other than default) printer should print.
03-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
so what you're saying that the image is at it's highest quality and the only thing i have to do is change the dpi when printing...
when i saw the 72dpi i thought i'm loosing quality when i develop with pentax software.
i think this is a very serious mistake from pentax , setting the dpi of the output file should be available.
thanks for your comments.
03-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by florin Quote
so what you're saying that the image is at it's highest quality and the only thing i have to do is change the dpi when printing...
when i saw the 72dpi i thought i'm loosing quality when i develop with pentax software.
i think this is a very serious mistake from pentax , setting the dpi of the output file should be available.
thanks for your comments.
most camera set the dpi at 72 its meaningless really it can be 4800 for all most of us care, we would alter it to suit our needs in post processing. the overall resolution is always the same and thats the main thing