Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Double Profiling... Danger!

Using a Spyder 2 calibration unit, I had profiled my CRT monitor every couple of weeks over several months. One month I realized that it was looking more red then it should.

I did some research and came to the conclusion that my unit was subject to the infamous "too red" syndrome which some users complain about when using these units. I wrote to Spyder 2 and they sent back some helpful info, but it didn't cure anything.

I profiled my laptop LCD and it looks completely neutral, where as my CRT still has a very slight red-cast to it. Noticable in the greys.

I decided to ignore it since the profile was very close (to my eyes) to being neutral.

Then today, while cleaning up my computer, I uninstalled some non-useful things such as NVidia tools...... Voila!

As it turns out, the NVidia software was affecting my video-card's output, probably adding red. I'm looking at my greys now and they're as neutral as I've ever seen them! Definately NOT knocking the NVidia software - it was doing what its supposed to (what ever that is) but double profiling is a no-no.

Hope this helps someone some day.

- Andrew

03-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
Using a Spyder 2 calibration unit, I had profiled my CRT monitor every couple of weeks over several months. One month I realized that it was looking more red then it should.

I did some research and came to the conclusion that my unit was subject to the infamous "too red" syndrome which some users complain about when using these units. I wrote to Spyder 2 and they sent back some helpful info, but it didn't cure anything.

I profiled my laptop LCD and it looks completely neutral, where as my CRT still has a very slight red-cast to it. Noticable in the greys.

I decided to ignore it since the profile was very close (to my eyes) to being neutral.

Then today, while cleaning up my computer, I uninstalled some non-useful things such as NVidia tools...... Voila!

As it turns out, the NVidia software was affecting my video-card's output, probably adding red. I'm looking at my greys now and they're as neutral as I've ever seen them! Definately NOT knocking the NVidia software - it was doing what its supposed to (what ever that is) but double profiling is a no-no.

Hope this helps someone some day.

- Andrew
just the same as you should turn off all color management features of any software you may be using, such as photoshop, and similar.