Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never again from Circuit City

I ordered the 360 flash from Circuit City Wednesday for $147 and free shipping, except I got the 2nd day shipping because I needed the flash this weekend. That was another $8.33 (somewhere in there).
Well the box the flash shipped in was in pristine condition but when I opened it up, it looked like the Pentax box had been rolled over by a tractor trailer and then he backed up to see what he'd hit. There was sticker on the Pentax box saying that it had been inspected and there was only box damage. Hmmm ok..... I opened it up and my poor old new Pentax flash had indeed been in the box when the tractor trailer rolled over it:-(.
So I run over to the Circuit City in Spokane, I'm po'ed. I can understand if it didn't work or something but those guys knew this was screwed up when they sent it, oh yeah, the sticker was dated 2006! The girl says I'll refund your $156 (tax included), no, I said $164. I want my shipping refunded, this was obviously defective when sent. We can't do that. I want to talk to the manager. We can't do that in store, he says, but if you call 1-800-843-2489 they will and they'll give you a $25 coupon for your trouble.
I get home and call and explain my position calmly, I didn't cuss her out or anything:-). After she talked to whoever she comes back and says we don't refund shipping. I told her that's unfortunate because for $8 Circuit City has lost this customer for forever. I hope they put that $8 in a good mutual fund or something because they'll never ever get another penny from me.

03-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Igilligan

Oh that sucks... I am sorry to hear that for so many reasons. I was literally just getting ready to order that flash from them. It seemed like such a great price.

Thank you for posting this. It may have saved me being arrested at my local Circuit Chittey...

I would have been nice for a few minutes then I would have got mad!
03-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ordered one from Adorama for $174.95, funny thing is CC charges sales tax, I got it from Adorama for $180.90 total, from CC it was $164.xx. which included the Fed Ex 2nd day....only $16 more from Adorama, although I'll have to wait a few more days for the slow boat UPS shipping.

Well actually if we compare apples to apples. If I had gone with the free shipping from CC, the price including tax was $156.07.
from Adorama including $5.95 shipping was the $180.90, a $25 difference. Worth it to me if this is a new flash that hasn't been sitting around for 1 1/2 to 2 years damaged waiting for a chintzy sale to unload it on somebody.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 03-21-2008 at 06:44 PM.
03-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is amazing is these stores (particularly CC) wonder why they are in financial trouble. They screwed up and should take care of the customer a little extra special. With today's communication (Facebook, Chat rooms, Forums etc.) we can do more to damage thier image with a simple post of poor treatment than $10's of thousands in advertising possibly can repair.

I'm a letter writer and I'd add one more item on your 'to do list'. Write someone in the company with some power and make a formal complaint of the poor service. Take some pictures of the damaged unit before you return it.

03-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey ER, sorry to hear of your troubles. Only thing I can say is that you were a lot more patient than I would have been. I would have wanted the $8 in blood.

NaCl(I'm from the Bronx and I know a guy...)H2O
03-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The flash, itself was in a plastic baggy thingy inside it's pouch. When I pulled it out the fresnel lens was completely shattered. The flash was waiting for me when I got home so I immediately set out to CC. On the way I realized I should have taken pictures but I wasn't about to turn back at that point, I wanted my money back. When I got to the store and first found out about the shipping, I pulled the flash out of the plastic baggy and crap spewed all over the counter and I asked "you're not refunding me the shipping when you sent me something like this?"
I took it in in the shipping box so they could plainly see it wasn't the shipper's fault. Besides it had the inspection sticker on it. I wouldn't have been happy with the condition of the box if the flash had been ok but for the selling price I would have accepted it. If I had paid full retail I don't know if I would have because the box was ripped and torn and held together with tape.
Peter, if I had taken the time to document this mess with pictures I might pursue it with the company but I screwed up and didn't and left all the evidence at the store when I stomped out.
I'm not going to turn into a RH over this and spend the rest of my life talking bad about Circuit City, I've got better things to do. But I won't be buying anything from them either. They've got their policies and I've got mine:-).
03-22-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Salty, put me touch with the guy:-). I'll give him the WHOLE $8 to take care of this for me!

I had to make one more quick post, I didn't like my last post count.
03-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Salty, put me touch with the guy:-). I'll give him the WHOLE $8 to take care of this for me!

I had to make one more quick post, I didn't like my last post count.
lol.. 666

03-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
Banned

Oh how I wish there was a Pentax brick and mortar store for us to buy our equipment from. I'm dealing with a claim on a 'lost' lens (new old stock smc-a 50mm 1.4) by fedex right now and I told a guy on the phone yesterday. "You will never get my business again, ever." damn fedex. The hardships of being a Pentaxian I guess. :ugh:
03-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seamuis Quote
Oh how I wish there was a Pentax brick and mortar store for us to buy our equipment from. I'm dealing with a claim on a 'lost' lens (new old stock smc-a 50mm 1.4) by fedex right now and I told a guy on the phone yesterday. "You will never get my business again, ever." damn fedex. The hardships of being a Pentaxian I guess. :ugh:
I guess I'm lucky. I'm living in the "middle of nowhere", but everywhere I go around that "middle of nowhere", I can find Pentax dealers!
03-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I guess I'm lucky. I'm living in the "middle of nowhere", but everywhere I go around that "middle of nowhere", I can find Pentax dealers!
I envy you. every time I go into my local camera shop the lady tries to sell me a damn nikon...
03-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Wasn't Circuit City the chain who just recently canned all their experienced people in favor of newer hires, so they could save money?

I'm lucky, I live about 4-5 hours from NYC and standard UPS ground from Adorama or B&H usually takes two days max, sometimes next day if I order early enough.
03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Dang, sorry to hear that man, when I got mine the box was kinda ratty, but the flash was in perfect condition.
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Hi Eaglerapids

I'm afraid I've been away for a few days visiting relatives over Easter, but was really sorry to hear about your regrettable experience:

QuoteQuote:
Well the box the flash shipped in was in pristine condition but when I opened it up, it looked like the Pentax box had been rolled over by a tractor trailer and then he backed up to see what he'd hit. There was sticker on the Pentax box saying that it had been inspected and there was only box damage. Hmmm ok..... I opened it up and my poor old new Pentax flash had indeed been in the box when the tractor trailer rolled over it
I can only suggest you contact the Head Office of the company concerned and attempt to speak with someone in a position of seniority to explain your dissatisfaction with the manner in which you were dealt with. Don't forget to mention the inconvenience to which you were put in returning the goods and also the additional expenses you incurred. If you don't get any joy in that respect, leave your unfavourable comments on the 'customer feedback' section of their web-site, so that at least others will know to leave well alone !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-24-2008 at 11:59 AM.