Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Nice places in BC to shoot?

I am gonna be taking a nice little road trip around BC this week. I am starting in vancouver, but I have no real destination. I was wondering if there were any notable spots to go take pics.
Thanks

03-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you like snow, try rogers pass.

It just might be the time of year for avalanches, they shoot them out of the mountains with howitzers!

also you might try devils canyon (I think it's called) on the frazer river. should be pretty spectacular.
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if you like snow, try rogers pass.

It just might be the time of year for avalanches, they shoot them out of the mountains with howitzers!

also you might try devils canyon (I think it's called) on the frazer river. should be pretty spectacular.
That's Hell's Gate that you are talking about, I think. A drive up the Fraser Canyon would be a good one, but it's not a day trip. Figure on overnighting.
03-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A short ferry ride to Vancouver Island will get you some fun shooting from the ferry and then tons of options on the island: Victoria for interesting older homes or interesting town shots. The rest of the island for backwoods stuff, there are pull-outs and parks and waterfalls and such all along most of the drives. Also partial day whale watching out of Victoria--not sure if it's the right season...Low tide beaches and tide pools around the island. Harbor Seals and Sea Lions near many fishing boat docks...Mind you this is no small island--it's a full day drive (pert near) from one end to the other. Plus spring is in full bloom out there by now. You should be able to find a few tulip and daffodil farms around Vancouver if not on the island. Lots of early wildflowers and fresh budding greenery...You should be in for a bunch of fun! Bring some waterproof shoes or short boots as it is mud season in that region. Don't forget to bring a rain coat!

03-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Just noticed your profile shows that you are from Vancouver. You should be telling us where to look for photos in your area! If you really aren't sure, pick up a tourism brochure from a local hotel or from the tourism bureau nearest you. That will list lots of points of interest, some of which will be worth checking out.
03-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That's Hell's Gate that you are talking about, I think. A drive up the Fraser Canyon would be a good one, but it's not a day trip. Figure on overnighting.
thanks for the correction.

I haven't been there since august 1987 and forgot what it was called.

Anny comment on rogers pass, and the weather this time of year?

They should be at the end of their 33 feet of snow.
03-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
thanks for the correction.

I haven't been there since august 1987 and forgot what it was called.

Anny comment on rogers pass, and the weather this time of year?

They should be at the end of their 33 feet of snow.
Not necessarily. Left here in Spring time this morning, some grass visible on the lawn where I had removed the snow, about 9:30, drove around Alberta for a while Waterton (bitter wind, but sunny) > Cardston (but the Remington Carriage Museum was closed) > Lethbridge (checked out the box stores and had dinner) > Brocket (Reg gas for thirsty Tundra at 99.2 cents a litre! Next best on the whole drive was 94.9) > Pincher Station (cloudy and a couple of snow flakes) > Crowsnest Pass Municipality (what was brown dry grass was white) > Crowsnest Pass (the pass through the Rockies - snow storm) > Sparwood (see Crowsnest Pass entry - 6 cm of snow (a bit over 2 inches) on the driveway)
03-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know if it is still there but Barkerville is an old tourist attraction place that has the old gold miners motif and and gold panning sluice machines/equipment. You could take some nice pics/portraits.

Try the cache creek area for the old desert look.

03-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I will look into hells gate. That seems cool.
I actually just moved here in Jan. from Seattle, so I am still learning my way around here.
03-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ranamar Quote
Thanks guys, I will look into hells gate. That seems cool.
I actually just moved here in Jan. from Seattle, so I am still learning my way around here.
From my visits over the years, here are some fave's:
Stanley Park, Chinatown, Granville Island, North Vancouver (some amazing coves), all the bridges.... Just hop in the car or grab the metro and see the sights. Not too many cities offer the variety of Vancouver. Have fun!

Last edited by rormeister; 03-24-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: forgot one ;)