Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Brenizer Method or Panorama Stitching

My brother showed me this really cool site that describes a cool application of Panorama Stitching. A photographer from New York uses it quite frequently. I just experimented with it and it is pretty cool! It isn't really fundamentally groundbreaking (pretty basic actually) but it looks really cool when applied to portraits.

Here is the link to the photographer from New York with really cool examples:

brenizer method Archives - Ryan Brenizer -- NYC Wedding Photographer. Problem solver, storyteller.

Here is a good tutorial:

The Brenizer Method Explained With Directions | San Francisco Bay Area Editorial Story-telling Wedding Photography

Here is a quick practice of it (taken with DA*55). I would love to see some other examples from fellow forum members.
Name:  BrenizerSample1.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  54.7 KB

08-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I enjoy the look of those shots. And I've tried it a couple times myself, but the results aren't worth sharing.

There's a thread devoted to Brenizer Method pictures:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/14366...od-photos.html
08-22-2013, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I've been experimenting with this technique for some sort of 'bokeh, landscape'
I tried it on a tour and the downside was that I was afraid that the 20-40 shots needed would fill up my cards too soon.
So in the end, I scaled down on the number of shots and that limited the sense of wider FOV that was potentially possible.
Here's one.

And here are 2 used for candids.

08-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

Beautiful shots. What lens / settings did you use for the two wedding pictures?
And how long do the subjects need to hold still in order to get them sharp in the shot?

08-23-2013, 06:33 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Beautiful shots. What lens / settings did you use for the two wedding pictures?
And how long do the subjects need to hold still in order to get them sharp in the shot?
Thanks.

They were all done with the FA*85
Since these are candids, I bidded my time and took my chances with them, since I won't know when the subjects will move.
They were posing for their official photographer though, so they were somewhat in fixed positions (though they did shift about where they stood).
I have some practice with my children (who never stay still), so if I had any guidelines they would be :
1. Work fast to capture the most important parts that will move more or very obviously spoil the stitch if subject moved it (eg. upper 1/4 of body)
2. Sacrifice super shallow DOF by capturing more of the subject within a good frame (esp. with children)
3. Work fast
4. Try to frame each shot such that the intersecting points are not highly dependant on the subject in another frame not moving (eg. the family portrait above)

Here's one of my son. (with a FA50/1.4)

Since he does not stop moving, I had to grab him within 1 vertical frame, then after that the rest of the shots was pretty easy and independent of whatever he continued to do.

my few cents
08-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one of my son. (with a FA50/1.4) . . .
Delightful.

Thanks for the pictures and the helpful advice.
08-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks.

They were all done with the FA*85
Since these are candids, I bidded my time and took my chances with them, since I won't know when the subjects will move.
They were posing for their official photographer though, so they were somewhat in fixed positions (though they did shift about where they stood).
I have some practice with my children (who never stay still), so if I had any guidelines they would be :
1. Work fast to capture the most important parts that will move more or very obviously spoil the stitch if subject moved it (eg. upper 1/4 of body)
2. Sacrifice super shallow DOF by capturing more of the subject within a good frame (esp. with children)
3. Work fast
4. Try to frame each shot such that the intersecting points are not highly dependant on the subject in another frame not moving (eg. the family portrait above)

Here's one of my son. (with a FA50/1.4)

Since he does not stop moving, I had to grab him within 1 vertical frame, then after that the rest of the shots was pretty easy and independent of whatever he continued to do.

my few cents
Very Nice! Thanks for sharing!

09-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stitching to simulate non-existing lenses

You need about 1-2 seconds to secure the portraits, then shot the surrounding.
The samples on the link above are taken by canon5dm2, pentax k5 and sony nex.
Any good medium tele could be used. 1.4 or 1.2 is not a requirement.