Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #1

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

Hi, anybody use this software and can offer your opinion?
Thanks

03-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have PSP X2 I think its a great alternative to the high cost of Photoshop. I also think its a bit easier to use. My only issue is that there is no RAW developer similar to Adobe Camera Raw in PSP X2. If you shoot only in JPEG then you dont need it. PSP X2 can read the Pentax Raw files, and the Express Lab will let you do some developing but its no where near as flexable as ACR.

Of course you could always buy Bibble since it works very similar to ACR and it also funtions as a plugin for PSP X2.
03-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both PSP X1 and Adobe PS CS2. Although I primarily use CS2, PSP X1 is a great alternative considering the cost difference. If I didn't have CS2, I would have no problem using PSP X1 for all my post processing.
03-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have been using it for PSP for about 4 years and really enjoy it. I have CS2 and just have not taken the time to learn how to use it as effectivly as I can PSP. (sorry to that member that help me with CS2) I use Silkypix for conversion then everything else with PSPX2. I had some troubles recently but the bugs worked out. I would recomend it for ease of use along. It is like CS3 lite.

03-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Scott, Frank & Pat.
I guess I'll pick up a copy. It's on sale locally for $50, sounds like it's worth it
03-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Kevin

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I happily continue to use V.8.0 of Jasc PSP, but after purchasing my first K10D last April I eventually decided to upgrade to PSP Photo X2 when an unmissable upgrade offer was forthcoming.........it's always somewhat difficult to resist a 'sweet' deal when one comes along ! Initially, I intended using X2 to process either DNG or PEF RAW files, but I mainly tend to use JPEG's at the moment. However, having mastered the way in which PSP works to a reasonable degree of competence, I still find competitors such as Photoshop very unintuitive to use by comparison and will persevere with processing RAW files when the need arises ! For the money, there's not much else to touch it IMHO....

Best regards
Richard
03-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used PSP since V8,, and have had all versions except V9.

The only annoyance is that I find corel some times slow to respond with technical issues. For example when other vendors were coming out with K10D support as anfree patch, corel waited almost a year and then released PSP X2,

I also find X2 to be substantially slower than X1 specifically on image cropping, not sure why that is.,
03-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I also use PSP X2, the cost was the main factor for me (less than £40) It is a lot more intuitive to use and does all the PP I need or am able to achieve I also have Photoshop7 (old, I know) but find myself using it very seldom these days. The price of Adobe products is a big barrier to me, also I hate being shafted

Serendipity (Mick)

03-25-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been using it since I found demo of version 7 on CD bundled with magazine. Now I'm using PSP X2 for all my retouching while my RAW converter of choice is SilkyPix. You can do vast majority of PhotoShop tricks described in photo magazines with minimal or no workarounds (layers are operated differently but can do the same things etc). IMO PS CS? is more a tool for designers publishers and graphical artists than a photo retouching tool.

BTW where do you get such good prices? I've just visited Corel site and the price for X2 is $89. If I could get a legal downloadable version for $40 I'd pay for it (so far I haven spent a dime

Last edited by Matjazz; 03-25-2008 at 03:27 AM.
03-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
BTW where do you get such good prices? I've just visited Corel site and the price for X2 is $89. If I could get a legal downloadable version for $40 I'd pay for it (so far I haven spent a dime
Enter this promo code at the check out page of Corel USA (Not Corel Europe or UK)

UG40OFFSEP

It gives you 40% off the list price i.e. you'll pay $53 or so.

If you have an old version of PSP on your PC, you can buy the upgrade version.
The same promo code gives you 40% off the upgrade price of $60. You thus pay $36.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by dancheng; 03-30-2008 at 09:40 PM.
03-31-2008, 05:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
$50 Canadian here , for disc version....
SIG Electronics, Software, Digital Media creating and editing
Good service.
03-31-2008, 05:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Corel now also owns PhotoImpact, previously owned by Ulead. BTW, PhotoImpact is the forerunner of Adobe's Photoshop.