Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Recommendation for torch for light painting

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi

I'd like to have a go at some light painting (the illumination of objects kind, not the swirly patterns). I don't currently have a working torch, so could someone recommend a decent torch which would be suitable for this?

I'm not really looking to spend massive amounts of money (perhaps £30 or around $50)

Thanks for any recommendations.

09-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Closed Account

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coast-HP7-Torch-Giftbox-Black/dp/B00ABGIYRO
09-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Fenix-LD41. Fantastic build quality and has a number of power options to lengthen battery life. Max power is 520 lumens which last a couple of hours so its super bright. I have a cheep ebay diffuser to let me place it on the ground and light up a wider area (I use this as tourch and light source for photography as I often shoot in dark locations).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fenix-Lumen-battery-powered-Torch/dp/B008G175XA/ref=...rds=fenix+ld41
09-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Any torch just remember to consider the temperature of the torch to the temperature of any environmental lights.

09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought one of those Coast torches and they seem like a decent brand. It was an "inspection light" and I used it to do this:

For your purpose, I might look for something with a large grid of LEDs. I have had this light for a year now and use it every night to walk my dogs. It has an internal lithium battery that I only recharge every 3 months. I don't know if it's available in the UK:

3-in-1 LED Task Light w/ Adjustable Hanger - Rechargeable