Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I haven't seen a flower since...September? Ugh...

I think this is my personal favorite:

04-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #32
Forum Member

Hello, Thanks for your comment. I took this with a Pentax iSTDL with the 18-55 kit lens on a rainy day. The sky was a huge diffuser and the colors were brought out by using a Circular polariser. I made my son wearing a white shirt to sheild the flower from the wind as well as reflect some light on the flower.
Thanks for liking this picture.
Kris
04-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #33
Forum Member

thanks photomad - cool :-)

hey aegisphan i raelly like that last one - terrific
04-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Thank you JrPentax.

Personally, I like flower shot under bright daylight with strong shadow. It gives the shot more character. And I definitely agree with Scott Kelby, a creative angle would be preferable. For certain flower, such as rose, treat the shot like a portrait would bring out the beauty of the flower: dreamy surrounding with sharp details at the focus point. And I don't really pick out the perfect flower. Imperfection is more memorable for the viewer.

04-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Just getting into photo's of flowers which I find light is everything and like the Macro shots with early morning light. I will post a few later once I figure out how! [all new for me} . Hey, with six months under my belt with my k10, I find every shot interesting and a learning experiance. 99%, wish I would have shot differently and 1% luck and timing! JIMBO
05-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #36

Here is also another tip when you do Flower shoots. I have found this very useful.
Make a background that you can carry over and put it behind your flower; why?
Sometime you don't have the most beautiful background for your flower, sometimes is green grass getting brown, others is in a park and you have a kid in red shirt running behind your flower, etc...
So... I bought a white board around 12x18 and paint it with some spray green colors, I will say medium to dark tones. Another friend uses a X-Ray washed sheet. And when we go to get flower shots we just put this behind our flower subject and SNAP... You have a Studio version of a flower.
Give it a try... you will like it.
Can see on this link one of my friends pictures named "The Tango"; you wont believe that is natural light.
2006 Grand Winners
05-06-2008, 01:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member

excellent advice!

I use styrofoam picnic plates. Punch small hole in the middle and slice from edge in to the hole. Super light weight so no damage when I collar a flower with it. Also, I serendipitously found that the smooth picnic plate styrofoam has a mildly sparkly surface that often enhances the photo. I also have a pie plate covered in aluminum foil, shiny side out as mini reflector.

Of course, all we're doing, crazy flower photographers, is attempting to overcome the bane of 99% of flower photography: distracting backgrounds.

05-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Of course all the other comments / advise are great and true. Composition matters.

I'm not an expert on this, however what works for me is:

- Shoot with a low DOF, with something different, vague in the background
- Do not shoot from above, I think those are dull, take the picture from below (get on your knees )
- Flowers with dew / rain drops in sunshine
- With a black backdrop / background
- Strong one side lighting and dark shadows
- Flowers with insects
- Flowers with frostbite
- Flowers growing in / out of strange places

- Bert