Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Macro Photos With Fill Reflector

Hello All,
This may be old news to the dedicated Macro shooters, but it's something I haven't tried too much and finally got decent results with; Using a small reflector to add fill light to macro subjects. Perhaps my experiences might be helpful to other users.
First, the size and type. I had been using a 42" oval (foldable) white/silver reflector, but it was just too big for many situations, hard to hold or place. Also the silver side cast a 'hard' light, unsuitable for most macro scenes, but the white seemed better. Maybe not perfect for everything, but better.
So, I ordered a 5-color 60cm (24") round, foldable from eBay, about $10 USD, shipped; White, translucent, black, silver and gold. I set it up so the gold and white were on the outside when it's unfolded, and this worked out best.
My photo club signs up for an early-opening meetup at the Denver Botanical Gardens every month. It allows the members to come in for 2 hours (7-9am) before the public opening at 9am. Last time I used bracket-mounted fill flash with a diffuser, worked out OK. The low morning light is beautiful, but casts hard shadows on the back side of the subject.
This time I had the new reflector, so didn't use the flash. By the end of the session I had a system down pretty well, with a little trial and error. Using a tripod, I'd find a likely subject, set the tripod height and angle, then compose the shot. Mostly looking for a back-lit or side-lit angle, a position where I was seeing deep shadow on the camera side. Once I got focus lock (without actually clicking) I would take the cable release in my left hand and move away from the tripod slightly, the reflector in my right hand. Moving the reflector to various angles changed the fill, it's easy to see the result. I'd also try both the white and gold, the difference here was quite subtle but noticeable. Once I got a result I liked, one click, look at the preview as it flashed on the screen, try another angle, distance or color. It's actually much faster to use than explain!
The camera mode was AV, ISO 100, FA 100mm f/3.5, K-7. I did bracket a few shots, but mostly the meter setting was right-on. It seemed at least as easy as fill flash, with less bracketing or missed exposures. YMMV.
Here's a few samples, hope this is useful! The first two photos used the reflector gold side, the last one, white.
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
09-07-2013, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

beautiful starbursts in the first picture!
09-07-2013, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first one is fantastic. Also really like the second. The backlighting makes the petal look translucent. Thanks for the tips. Gonna grab my FA 100 macro and get outside
09-07-2013, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the tip. I have similar reflector and I must try it out shortly. I like the second shot very much, nicely composed and good detail.

09-07-2013, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Great shots thanks!

A month or so ago I photographed some small wildflowers that typically grow in full shade. There was no extra light to reflect. I grabbed a white plastic chair from the nearby cottage (ours - so no permission needed!), flipped it over on its back just over a meter away at about 45 degrees away from the camera, and fired my shoe mounted flash at the underside. It was a wild guess, and it took a couple exposure and angle adjustments to get the lighting I wanted - but it was pretty equivalent to using a reflector to bounce sunlight onto the flowers.
09-07-2013, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

This is the macro advantage- a small portable 5-in-1 kit can give your an incredible variety of lighting options for a small object. Mine is also 60 cm and I'll often go out with camera + dfa100mm macro + small ground tripod+ 5-in-1 attached to my belt for a very versatile and compact kit. One small tool opens up countless options in addition to fill as you've shown very well here.

Also try using the diffuser panel on a sunny day to mimic an overcast near 'shadowless' day for a much softer light, often a nice choice for flower closeups and good to have the option if you're only able to make it out in midday sunlight. And don't discount the 'black' side for turning a flower in full on sun into a flower in open shade. Or for adding some contrast on an overcast day. Or for shading the background to get your subject to stand out more.

The gold side is also great for bouncing light under otherwise shady areas to mimic some morning sun, especially for people like me who like to sleep in. Also sometimes fun- use the silver or gold as a backdrop. They'll give a nice sparkly backdrop in sunlight. Maybe a bit cheesy, but more options for no more weight is always great.

In any case, trying to take control of the light is one of the best ways to help you understand it better and imo a key step in upping ones photography skills.
09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your comments!
Oxidized, those starbursts weren't as obvious to me at the time, I didn't realize how clear they were until I saw the image on my PC. But I did want to catch the water drops and reflections, with a good backlight. Overall, I'm happy with the result.

JRPower10, thanks, it's pretty easy to set up and try, the reflector is small and light. Hope you try it and post some photos!

Bruce Clark, thank you, the 2nd shot is a 50% crop, nearly centered, of the original, there was some OOF clutter around the main subject. so I tried to just show the part that seemed most interesting. I couldn't get in tighter at the time, they have some plants set back behind a rail.

JimJohnson, your idea about using a bounced flash is clever, I wouldn't have thought of it! Overall I like the diffuser, but you're right, sometimes there's not enough ambient light to bounce. Adding flash to the equation brings a lot of options.

BrianR, thanks for the comments and ideas. I've been trying to think of other ways to use the reflector and you've opened up a whole set! I might also try shooting a flash through the translucent panel, a big softbox, in effect.
Overall I'm happy with my first outing, but any new technique takes practice. Next month's Botanical Garden shoot will be our last 'summer' outing, so I'll try then.
Thanks again,
Ron

09-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Nice, the first one is excellent! Any chance an outsider would be allowed at this photo club meet? I have never been to the gardens and having the place empty sounds pretty cool. I would drive down from Boulder for this
09-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots, thanks for the ideas.
09-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

To Max and Larry, thanks for the comments! Macro is fun anyway, but the ability to control the available light makes it even better.
Max, I believe we can bring a guest, but I'll check to make sure. Also, the October date hasn't been posted yet (it's a different date each month, for some reason) so I'll call DBG after 9:00am to confirm the day. Either way, I'll post here as soon as I find out. If I can bring you as a guest, I'll be happy to.
Ron
09-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bad News For Both Of Us!

Hello maxk7dish,
Well, it turns out I was misinformed. Two club members mentioned 'next months' meetup' in conversations there, as if it was a sure thing.
But the club schedule still doesn't list one, so I called Members' Services at DBG and it turns out there's no October (or later) Members Only, Early Openings this year, it's for Summer only. That's what I get for not checking before posting!
Sorry about the mixup, I'm disappointed too. Best I can do is offer to get you in free with my DBG Member card as a guest, but we can only go at 9:00AM earliest.
I'd be willing to do that at a mutually agreeable date, if you still want to try it. As far as crowds and ease of setting up, weekday are much quieter than weekends.
I can usually make a weekday or weekend, let me know if you want to try that.
Again, sorry for the confusion, I just believed the information I was given, without checking with a club officer or organizer. There's a lesson there somewhere!
Ron
09-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #12

Ron, I'd still be interested in going, since I have never been at all. It will have to be in a few weeks though as I will be out of town for a week starting Sunday. I'll PM you with my email, and we can figure it out. No sense cluttering the thread with our plans
09-20-2013, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

THey all are great, but that first one is outstanding!
09-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, Allison.
I've had a couple other chances to use the reflector since (not at the Bot. Gardens, just walk-around flower shots) and it's much easier and more portable than a flash/diffuser. If fact, if there's enough ambient light for a hand-holdable shutter speed, I've even tried...no tripod!
Looks sorta' weird, camera in one hand, reflector in the other, but above 1/200s, it does work.
Best $10 I've spent on camera gear so far. The reflector case has a loop for carrying, I just hook it to my camera bag and good to go.
Ron