Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 115 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Dumb question, but do you keep the AF button depressed while pressing the shutter button to take the shot(s).
No. One press of the AF button is all that is required. It then holds that focus point until you press the shutter button which allows you to recompose if required.

01-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #152

Photos: Albums
But for moving subjects, I guess you need to keep AF pressed?
01-03-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I even hold the AF button with stationary subjects. Means the camera is holding focus right up to shutter release. I find this irons out any fine movements either myself or the subject may have.
01-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #154

Just commenting so I can find this post later. I did switch prior to Christmas photos of the grandkids. Not sure if I did something wrong or what as I didn't get that many more in focus. But, I also noticed a lot of times the packages in back were what was sharp. Need to play with fine adjustment.

01-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #155

What is the differance between the shutter half press and pushing the AF button if you set all the other settings the same. I mean can't you set the camera to constant AF and set the AF to select AF and still use the half press button?
01-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by popellis Quote
What is the differance between the shutter half press and pushing the AF button if you set all the other settings the same. I mean can't you set the camera to constant AF and set the AF to select AF and still use the half press button?
The idea is that by disconnecting the half press that you don't have to worry about the camera changing focus on you if your focus point moves off target when you hit the shutter
01-31-2015, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #157

Thanks @wired

I read through all these pages again and now I think I understand, that by using the AF button you can switch from single lock focus like the shutter half press. To continuous AF by holding the AF button in, while you press the shutter .

Thanks

03-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #158

Thank you!

This technique has taken my fashion work to the next level and made a very problematic lens into something sublime. It's just night and day from how I have always focused with the half press and recompose. I used it today on a fashion shoot and I'm never going back!
03-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never had to calibrate or re-calibrate any of the lenses I own knock on wood. I use the shutter button to get the prober focus when I hear a beep then I take the shot. My pictures taken with AF are rarely out of focus unless the subject moves of course. If that should happen, then I re-focus and take the shot again, no harm done. I sometime wonder what is all this about front-focus back-focus issues. I think people are getting way to carried away with this feature.
03-17-2015, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #160
PDL
Pentaxian

Go here

Here are links (again) to several reasons to use "Back button Focus".

10 Autofocus Tips - PentaxForums.com
K10 autofocus question - PentaxForums.com
Auto-focus: how do you use it? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
Talk me out of selling all my pentax gear - PentaxForums.com
Focus lock on subject - PentaxForums.com
If you can't focus with your Pentax... - PentaxForums.com
2 questions... - PentaxForums.com
Manual focus retouching and Hyperfocal - PentaxForums.com
Do you use the AF button? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/43995-who-uses-a...#ixzz3Uf67z0zY

and comment #87 on this thread which shows

I have not been commenting on much lately, but here goes.

About using the AF button and de-coupling AF from the shutter button. The following is a list of posts/threads that I have commented in over the last few years. This is not a new subject and it is a revelation only to the uninitiated. Maybe this subject should become a sticky.

Do you guys fire more often in autofocus or manual focus?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/61808-af-opt...you-use-2.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/75115-do-you...gs-camera.html
Rant about Pentax's One Legged AF and a weird quirk that I wish would go away

quote from this thread
"To those of you using the AF button to - disable AF.

Just who is in control of when the subject is in focus?
Shutter button ==> the camera.
Shutter button -> AF button ==> the camera until the human intervenes - but still the camera.
AF Button ==> the human.
manual ==> the human.

Personally I prefer the last two - I am in control - not the camera."

Another quote from the thread:
"I have attended two photo workshops sponsored by National Geographic. At each one the guy(s) from NG have de-coupled AF from the shutter button - so THEY decide when the object is in focus - not the camera. In fact, one of them (Michael Melford) said that on his Canon MkIII something or another - the only two custom functions he sets up are to display the histogram on the LCD and to de-couple AF. He has at least 5 covers."

AF button on K20
tips on AF-ON usage

Contains a long rant a duplications of threads:
Who uses the Auto Focus button?
How do you focus?
If you can't focus with your Pentax...
Back button Focus

Enjoy -

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/249785-back-but...#ixzz3Uf72YcFP

Just look around - the answers to your questions are here.
The elitist - formerly known as PDL
03-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #161

Photos: Albums
I'm finally getting the hang of back focus and it really does make a difference. I understand the K3 has better auto focus than K5. Does this technique still apply to K3?
03-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
I'm finally getting the hang of back focus and it really does make a difference. I understand the K3 has better auto focus than K5. Does this technique still apply to K3?
Just go back to the opening post .... the OP added the K3 setup there.
03-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #163

Thank you all for the useful information
04-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I never had to calibrate or re-calibrate any of the lenses I own knock on wood. I use the shutter button to get the prober focus when I hear a beep then I take the shot. My pictures taken with AF are rarely out of focus unless the subject moves of course. If that should happen, then I re-focus and take the shot again, no harm done. I sometime wonder what is all this about front-focus back-focus issues. I think people are getting way to carried away with this feature.
I think you have completely missed the point. This isn't about a lenses tendency to front or back focus. It's a technique for focusing.
04-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could I program all of this into a User Selection? I would like to be able to easily (and quickly) move back and forth to continuous autofocus with 1/2 shutter for shooting birds.

Many thanks,

Don