Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,548
QuoteOriginally posted by dieselpunk Quote
Maybe in a handful of cases. I'd certainly have to practice a lot for AF point selecting to be faster. I think the main thing I learned is to consider picking the focal points more than using SEL as a replacement for the recompose.
Having spent many years with center weighted metering and then single point autofocus I find it hard to transition to other models of af. With my m43 gear touchscreen
Af point selection is relatively simple but hard for me to get in the habit of using.

01-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Paris, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,027
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Having spent many years with center weighted metering and then single point autofocus I find it hard to transition to other models of af.
Habit's are hard to break. I made a concerted effort to use AF modes a few years ago and found I spent more time confirming focus than if I'd simply manually focused.

I've spent 10-15 minutes setting up and 'proofing' a burst, AF-C shot only to end up with the same single happy-to-have-it shot I'd have gotten with an ad-hoc fixed, pre-focus set-up. (Like shootin' basketball with a Yashica TLR 6x6 and flash bulbs?)


Center point and re-compose works effortlessly for me for both focus and exposure. (Perhaps ghosts of Spotmatics-past lookin' over my shoulder? OK, thanks ol' friends.)


Even AF was not 'normal' for me until a nerve injury inhibited my ability to use my left fingers for manual focus. Now it's a necessity.

Last edited by pacerr; 01-26-2019 at 07:22 AM.
01-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Habit's are hard to break. I made a concerted effort to use AF modes a few years ago and found I spent more time confirming focus than if I'd simply manually focused.

I've spent 10-15 minutes setting up and 'proofing' a burst, AF-C shot only to end up with the same single happy-to-have-it shot I'd have gotten with an ad-hoc fixed, pre-focus set-up. (Like shootin' basketball with a Yashica TLR 6x6 and flash bulbs?)


Center point and re-compose works effortlessly for me for both focus and exposure. (Perhaps ghosts of Spotmatics-past lookin' over my shoulder? OK, thanks ol' friends.)


Even AF was not 'normal' for me until a nerve injury inhibited my ability to use my left fingers for manual focus. Now it's a necessity.
I can understand that process. Directional pad for single focus points can be handy, but not so much if yer spending too much time fiddling with them. Quick Shift lenses can be amazing, using centre AF to help you quickly get to the general ball park focus and then manually focusing to fine tune the process.
02-17-2019, 05:11 AM   #289
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: manchester
Posts: 6
So glad to stumble across this thread

The set up works so well, I have a new respect for the software.
K3 with Tamron 18-200 and I'm getting shots that I have only been lucky to catch before. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Oktyabr's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2018
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 264
I sold my K-70 and bought a lightly used K3ii. I now use back button focus on both my Pentax and my Panasonic bridge camera and can't imagine shooting any other way. It DID take a couple of weeks of acclimation, so don't try it once and give up! SEL, I still don't use, as most of the photography I take are photos of opportunity of moving subjects (birds mostly, and my cats) and spot focus and recompose just seems much more able to provide the "keeper" I want. I'm posting again here because while my time with the K-70 was relatively short (about 3000 shots) I was impressed, and surprised, at how accurate "catch in focus" tended to be with this particular body, usually with a vintage prime on board, like my beloved 50mm 1.7. I expect the KP might be at least as capable and perhaps some of the older bodies as well (my previous Pentax was a K10D and I never did learn catch in focus while I had it).

Pentax M 50mm f/1.7, back button focus, catch in focus.



Last edited by Oktyabr; 02-17-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added photo
10-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #291
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,106
This works very well with my K-r. But this week I should get new (for me) K-7 plus grip. I do not know how much people can use such a camera, but maybe soemone can give me some camera/grip specific tips?
10-02-2019, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #292
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: walking in the air
Posts: 1,077
Perfect focus everytime is a dream for all brands.
10-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #293
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 25
I've been using the select focal point technique for most of this year after discovering it on this thread. This summer I was on a family vacation and I was telling my father (a photographer since the 1960s) about this his response was, "Why make it so complicated? Just use the face detection feature." Ha ha. I guess there's no good response to that. I thought of all people he would appreciate being accurate with focus, but his vision has gotten bad and basically relies on technology to keep taking photos. He's shooting some kind of Canon mirrorless these days.

It did make me think though. Am I just doing a lot more work to compensate for using an 8 year old camera? From a focus perspective, would my shots be easier to take with face/eye/whatever detection and I could then just concentrate on composition?

10-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #294
Pentaxian
ecostigny's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Branford, CT
Posts: 342
This thread has given me some solid ideas as to making my focusing more reliable with my Pentax K-5; its automatic focus point selection gets confused too easily if left unsupervised. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by ecostigny; 10-27-2019 at 02:45 PM.
10-26-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
QuoteOriginally posted by dieselpunk Quote
I've been using the select focal point technique for most of this year after discovering it on this thread. This summer I was on a family vacation and I was telling my father (a photographer since the 1960s) about this his response was, "Why make it so complicated? Just use the face detection feature." Ha ha. I guess there's no good response to that. I thought of all people he would appreciate being accurate with focus, but his vision has gotten bad and basically relies on technology to keep taking photos. He's shooting some kind of Canon mirrorless these days.

It did make me think though. Am I just doing a lot more work to compensate for using an 8 year old camera? From a focus perspective, would my shots be easier to take with face/eye/whatever detection and I could then just concentrate on composition?
The entire camera is technology, I really don't understand the mentality that embracing this feature or that somehow makes you less of a photographer, like somehow unless you have your eye stuffed down an OVF you're not a real photographer! ha!

On a recent pentax poll, Eye Detection came out as the second most requested feature. Second! I'm saddened to say however how few Pentaxians realise that their cameras actually have this feature already, it's just simply called 'Face Detection', but make no mistake this mode most definitely prioritises the eye, in fact it will struggle to work at all if the person is wearing sunglasses. I (and others) have put Face Detection through its paces, both with mannequins as well as live subjects, even at close range and wide apertures you will see the eye is focused, every time. Now I'm not suggesting it is perfect and cannot be improved, I'm sure modern smartphones FD is far superior, but I only wish to alert this feature as an absolute choice for consideration when shooting people (and I do weddings with this mode selected). There has been many conversations I've had where a Pentaxian doesn't even know that their camera has this AF mode. I have literally reached across the table, picked up their camera and navigated to the mode and selected it for them to hear them retort "Oh... I didn't think my camera had it!"

There are many reasons I use FD a lot, typically its because I am also using off camera flash, it's hard to do two things at once and FD can assist me during these times. Also, in chaotic scenarios (such as beer festivals) I have learned its sometimes of value to not have your eye stuffed down an ovf but to have a better bearing on what's going on all around you.

Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words and all that so I have compiled an album of where I used FD, you can check it out here, in almost every instance these were a one shot take, no focus was missed;

Portrait (Face Detection Only) | Flickr
10-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #296
Pentaxian
ecostigny's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Branford, CT
Posts: 342
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The entire camera is technology, I really don't understand the mentality that embracing this feature or that somehow makes you less of a photographer, like somehow unless you have your eye stuffed down an OVF you're not a real photographer! ha!

On a recent pentax poll, Eye Detection came out as the second most requested feature. Second! I'm saddened to say however how few Pentaxians realise that their cameras actually have this feature already, it's just simply called 'Face Detection', but make no mistake this mode most definitely prioritises the eye, in fact it will struggle to work at all if the person is wearing sunglasses. I (and others) have put Face Detection through its paces, both with mannequins as well as live subjects, even at close range and wide apertures you will see the eye is focused, every time. Now I'm not suggesting it is perfect and cannot be improved, I'm sure modern smartphones FD is far superior, but I only wish to alert this feature as an absolute choice for consideration when shooting people (and I do weddings with this mode selected). There has been many conversations I've had where a Pentaxian doesn't even know that their camera has this AF mode. I have literally reached across the table, picked up their camera and navigated to the mode and selected it for them to hear them retort "Oh... I didn't think my camera had it!"

There are many reasons I use FD a lot, typically its because I am also using off camera flash, it's hard to do two things at once and FD can assist me during these times. Also, in chaotic scenarios (such as beer festivals) I have learned its sometimes of value to not have your eye stuffed down an ovf but to have a better bearing on what's going on all around you.

Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words and all that so I have compiled an album of where I used FD, you can check it out here, in almost every instance these were a one shot take, no focus was missed;

Portrait (Face Detection Only) | Flickr
Your post just prompted me to look in my K-5's manual--and it has Face Detection for Live View! I remember Face Detection being fairly reliable on my wife's Panasonic P&S from 2008 and wished that my DSLR could do something similar. Now, thanks to your example, I've learned that it can. It always pays to read the instructions!
10-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Your post just prompted me to look in my K-5's manual--and it has Face Detection for Live View! I remember Face Detection being fairly reliable on my wife's Panasonic P&S from 2008 and wished that my DSLR could do something similar. Now, thanks to your example, I've learned that it can. It always pays to read the instructions!


It would be interesting to know if FD has improved over the years, or if the K-5 vs the KP (newest dlsr from Pentax) is the same kinda performance..
10-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #298
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 196
QuoteOriginally posted by dieselpunk Quote
I've been using the select focal point technique for most of this year after discovering it on this thread. This summer I was on a family vacation and I was telling my father (a photographer since the 1960s) about this his response was, "Why make it so complicated? Just use the face detection feature." Ha ha. I guess there's no good response to that. I thought of all people he would appreciate being accurate with focus, but his vision has gotten bad and basically relies on technology to keep taking photos. He's shooting some kind of Canon mirrorless these days.

It did make me think though. Am I just doing a lot more work to compensate for using an 8 year old camera? From a focus perspective, would my shots be easier to take with face/eye/whatever detection and I could then just concentrate on composition?
Short cuts like face detection are great when you have people in the shot! Selecting the focal point though is a skill you can apply to all of your photos.
10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #299
Pentaxian
ecostigny's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Branford, CT
Posts: 342
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaladran Quote
Short cuts like face detection are great when you have people in the shot! Selecting the focal point though is a skill you can apply to all of your photos.
Sony's making a big deal about animal face detection now. Just when you thought there were enough short cuts in modern cameras.
12-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Kath's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 737
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words and all that so I have compiled an album of where I used FD, you can check it out here, in almost every instance these were a one shot take, no focus was missed;

Portrait (Face Detection Only) | Flickr
Impressive! Iím going to have to investigate its use with wildlife.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, bbf, bodies, button, camera, change, flickr, focus, iso, issues, k-3, k-30, kx, lens, macro, mode, page, photography, photos, placement, randy, shutter, sr, subject, thanks, thumb
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focus, Focus, Focus (or the usefulness of focus charts) GoremanX Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 12-21-2014 11:49 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24mm f2.8 SuperWide II (manual focus "A" lens) w/Perfect Hood cheekygeek Sold Items 8 10-03-2012 08:36 AM
Landscape Perfect Light daacon Post Your Photos! 38 08-23-2012 07:24 AM
Perfect subject with perfect light codiac2600 Post Your Photos! 13 07-20-2008 06:35 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Banged up, but working *ist DL (perfect spare for focus screen or infrared igowerf Sold Items 3 01-06-2008 01:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top