Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 115 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wired,

I recently adopted this technique. I guess I was aware of the function on the K-5, but didn't use it much before reading your post. Thanks for the great explanation. I can't say I'm getting perfect focus every time, but I do get more in-focus shots in certain situations, and the method is more effective than the half-press mode.

Krebsy75: Now THAT is a superb portrait! Wow.

- Craig

09-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Thank you. Credit to the 77 Limited and K-5IIs.
09-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Credit to the 77 Limited and K-5IIs.
A fine testament to the 77 and K-5IIs. But, there's more to it than the equipment, and you're being modest. The composition, the lighting, and those eyes! Again, really well done - you nailed it.

Add: And I should also compliment the wonderful subject!

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-30-2013 at 12:29 PM.
09-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
Veteran Member

That's my darling daughter, Brynlee Rae. She was lying on our bed. The backlight is a window.

10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #35
Forum Member

Interesting, I've been using the AF button for years but haven't experimented with AF-C mode very much at all. I'll have to give it another try. The AF button alone increased the number of keepers significantly, that's for sure!

The only caveat I would add is for those using a grip with the K-5 or K-7. It's incredibly easy to accidentally hit the Green button instead of the AF button when you flip to portrait mode and use the grip controls, due to the way the buttons are arranged vs. those on the camera. Other than that I have had no issues and wouldn't want to go back to the half-press method.
10-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Interesting thread. I may try this. It just takes me so long to get used to new methods. I have always been a centerpoint focus and recompose guy.

One question I have is that I know there are certain differences in the way the camera operates in AF-C vs. AF-S other than the obvious. When going to AF-C doesn't the max fps go down? Are there other differences other than focusing continuously vs. single focus?
10-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
As I understand things, actually, you can quite easily.

Keep in mind the K5 can configured to behave as five cameras in one via its USER mode. Simply save your current "Best of Show" settings as one USER mode with appropriate name, then Wired's configuration as another USER mode with a custom name like "AF+C+SEL" When you assess your setting, flick the MODE switch, adjust C and SEL to fine tune for the appropriate camera set-up and you are good to go.

Cheers...M
I really need to start using the User Modes. This would be a perfect use for it. My question is this - for any of the controls that are set with a lever on the body (like focus mode), these are still configurable in the user mode so that the camera will override how the physical switch is set on the body? Thanks.

10-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I have read the explanation 3 times and I still don't see the difference (benefit) between this and half pressing the shutter in C (continuous) AF.

krebsy75, lovely picture
10-02-2013, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Sorry, I have read the explanation 3 times and I still don't see the difference (benefit) between this and half pressing the shutter in C (continuous) AF.

krebsy75, lovely picture
Doing so allows you to set the camera to continuous-servo AF (AF-C) mode permanently, while still being able to get the benefit of focus-lock like you do in single-servo (AF-S) mode on the fly without making any adjustments or changes in menus or switches.

his means that at any time, you can switch between a focus/recompose/shoot style of photography (portraits and landscapes) and continuous subject tracking (sports & wildlife) without having to change camera switches or menu settings.

In addition, since your always in AFC it allows your camera to adjust for the small movements you or your subject make naturally so that your target is always right in the slice of focus.
10-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #40
Forum Member

thanks for sharing. I found the similar settings can also be done at my k200d. Definitely will try to master the technique to improve my focusing skill.
10-02-2013, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Wired, now I get it
10-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I have been using this technique for a while now, and I must say that it is brilliant. Even that I'm using K-7, wich sucks at AF. You mentioned about this(Wired) a long time a go in single in game, if I remember right, and I have been using it since then. So nice and really efficient in locking focus and recomp, or for example stitches, bracketing. It really gives more control for photographer.
10-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Is there any way to do this with a K-30?
10-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I gave it a try tonight for the first time. It's gonna take some getting use to , but I am up for the challenge. Just a couple of quick landscape snaps to get the feel - only hit the green button 4 out of 10 times ha! Thanks for the tips Wired
10-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

yes, hitting the green button happens to me often...
I noticed another great benefit of using the AF button and disabling the halfpress:
Quickshift is much easier to use! If using a DA lens, the system is in manual focus unless you presst the AF button. Pretty cool
I still wish the halfpress of the shuter could be configured to lock exposure