Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 115 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Wow, it's Like Pentax read my post about the placement of the AF button and fixed it on the K-3. I'm slightly more interested in the camera now.
nevermind...

Last edited by dcBear78; 12-09-2013 at 05:47 PM.
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like this thread +1
12-09-2013, 08:22 PM - 4 Likes   #63

Since this thread got a little bump I happened to see it, and it's a very intriguing method. I think I will give this a try on my K-30 as a second user profile, especially since I have a HD 55-300 arriving soon with the quick shift function and that could be very versatile when shooting stationary and moving objects without switching modes.

Since the settings are a little different than the instructions for the K-5, this is what I have:

* AF switch set to AF.C
* Button Customization: AF/AE-L: Enable AF2 (decouples AF from shutter half-press and sets it to the button)
* AF Active Area: Select

Now, since I had to look through the manual to figure this particular thing out, I figured I'd post it for other K-30/50 users: With AF Select mode, the 4-way buttons control the AF area, but I was wondering how to access their normal functions, specifically ISO, without having to toggle AF Active Area settings off. All you have to do is hold down the OK button. Furthermore, if you set the RAW/Fx button to "AF Active Area", you can press it to enable AF Select using the dials instead of the 4-way pad, which may be useful.
12-09-2013, 08:28 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm going to submit an article the next time I have a free moment to the website that will walk through the K30, K50, K5, and K3 users. Thanks to all the positive feedback, I'm glad I have introduced a new shooting style to a lot of you.

12-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing this!

I just tried it out with my K-5IIs with the advanced tracking enabled and worked like a charm. I just have to get into the habit of using the AF button which is actually very comfortable.

Just for experimentation sake, I did this without disabling the focus with half press of the shutter button and it still worked fine. For me I like this even better as I can use either method. When I was holding the AF button and the lens was doing its thing, I half pressed the shutter button and it had no effect. So in so many words, the holding of the AF button overrides the half press shutter button AF even though I had not changed that in the menu.

So is there any other reason I should disable the half press AF? Am I missing something here?
12-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by kswong_00 Quote
thanks for sharing. I found the similar settings can also be done at my k200d. Definitely will try to master the technique to improve my focusing skill.
How did you achieve this on the K200D?
12-10-2013, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #67
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
How did you achieve this on the K200D?
Go to setting item 12 OK button when shooting. Then select option 3 enable AF. You can refer to page 103 of manual for details.

12-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #68

This works on my K-50.

I'd like to see an instructional video/example for various Pentax bodies.

Last edited by BATMON; 12-10-2013 at 11:00 AM.
12-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #69

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
12-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Well, I tried it and have missed more shots than I ever did before. I just can't get used to it.
12-11-2013, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Just for experimentation sake, I did this without disabling the focus with half press of the shutter button and it still worked fine. For me I like this even better as I can use either method. When I was holding the AF button and the lens was doing its thing, I half pressed the shutter button and it had no effect. So in so many words, the holding of the AF button overrides the half press shutter button AF even though I had not changed that in the menu.

So is there any other reason I should disable the half press AF? Am I missing something here?
Disabling the half-press AF is meant to enable you to use this setup for the focus-recompose method. If you don't disable the half-press AF, you'll be focused on whatever is under the focus point when you press the shutter button.
12-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Disabling the half-press AF is meant to enable you to use this setup for the focus-recompose method. If you don't disable the half-press AF, you'll be focused on whatever is under the focus point when you press the shutter button.
OK - got it - thanks!
01-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #73
Veteran Member

So I've been using this method since acquiring my K-5 a few weeks ago, and my keeper rate of my 11-month-old has increased by orders of magnitude. Thanks so much!
01-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Tnx for this tip. In my k30 i use it most of time, also i like to keep AF mode continuous, focus point selection and some option on that ok using next nearest focus points automatically too when needed. Works great in most situations!
01-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Doing so allows you to set the camera to continuous-servo AF (AF-C) mode permanently, while still being able to get the benefit of focus-lock like you do in single-servo (AF-S) mode on the fly without making any adjustments or changes in menus or switches.

his means that at any time, you can switch between a focus/recompose/shoot style of photography (portraits and landscapes) and continuous subject tracking (sports & wildlife) without having to change camera switches or menu settings.

In addition, since your always in AFC it allows your camera to adjust for the small movements you or your subject make naturally so that your target is always right in the slice of focus.
Thanks Wired. I've never used anything but the 1/2 press method. Will try this tomorrow. Thx.