Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 115 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 10:03 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Way too easy.

Much better for your character and personal growth to meditate like a monk control breathing, heart rate and autonomous muscle twitches, control the incipient motion of the earth moving under your feet and learn to shoot.
Grin. That was beautiful. You just said that a lot more eloquently and amusingly than I was about to. Mind you my eyes are not as good as they could be lately and I do have to rely some on AF these days when I am really having trouble with them, but if we're going to be like that, be obsessive with getting "perfect" focus every single time, why not just turn the damned AF OFF and actually learn to look through the VF and focus the camera lens without it? Honestly if I have to work that hard to get my AF to work then I'd rather just do it myself.

FYI, I have never recalibrated a lens. Never really needed to, but if I am working with a lens that isn't giving me the best results with AF then I just turn it off and try to fine tune it by focusing manually. AF is a nice thing, but it's not perfect 100% of the time. No type of focusing is perfect all the time. No matter how good you are, or your AF is you will have the odd blurry shot. It's just inevitable and I refuse to worry about it. That's why I take a few shots of each subject, not just one.

FYI, my could keep rate is probably 85% of what I shoot. That's probably better than some people, maybe not as good as some, but I think that's mostly because I don't rely on the camera to do all my shooting FOR me. AF is a convenience. It's nice. It can help a lot under the right circumstances when my eyesight is crappy, but I believe in actually using my camera the old fashioned way. As bad as my eyes can be there are times when they are still just plain better at it than my camera's AF is and I would have to say that about every DSLR camera I've ever worked with no matter what the brand. Seeking perfect focus 100% of the time is just asking for miracles, I think.

10-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
yes, hitting the green button happens to me often...
I noticed another great benefit of using the AF button and disabling the halfpress:
Quickshift is much easier to use! If using a DA lens, the system is in manual focus unless you presst the AF button. Pretty cool
I still wish the halfpress of the shuter could be configured to lock exposure
I thought you had to have the half press focus disabled to use quick shift? If not, wouldn't the camera try to refocus when you pressed the shutter?
10-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I thought you had to have the half press focus disabled to use quick shift? If not, wouldn't the camera try to refocus when you pressed the shutter?
Depends. If you are using AF-S (Single), you can halfpress the shuttter release and use quickshift after the AF has locked or not. It won´t attempt to refocus. If using AF-C (Continuous), the AF will try to refocus every time you touch the focus ring, while halfpressing the shutter release.
10-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Is there any way to do this with a K-30?

10-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Sorry I do not know

10-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #51
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any way to do this with a K-30?
Not sure, but I do believe you can reprogram the green button to function as the AF button does on the K-5 (and friends).
10-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I normally shoot using the AF for focus but I just tried setting the Shutter Button to OFF(Live view only) and it still keeps focusing using the shutter button when not using Live View. This appears to be a bug, perhaps in the latest firmware.

10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Semi correct. The SR turns on when the shutter is half depressed. So no, you do not need to switch to AF-S. The idea is that on release of AF button your camera for "still life" is the same as using AFS.

It does take some getting used to and the shooting method may not be for everyone. But I personally can't got back now
I use exactly the method described and can vouch for it as a very comfortable, intuitive method of getting many more shot focussed where I want them. I hardly ever switch the camera to Af-S

Just a small point though, the SR mechanism on my K-5 instigates all by itself, I don't need to press the shutter button to have it come on shortly after the camera has come to relative rest.
10-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #54

A few questions implementing this on a K30 please.

If you are using the four select buttons to chose the metering point how can you change the ISO setting (or white balance, flash etc)?

AF button customized no problems but can't see where to tun off the half shutter focus? Thanks
10-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #55
Closed Account

Just checked in on this incredible thread, thanks to everyone for the discussion. This makes me happy to be part of this forum!
This points out to the fact that there are too many things out there that are not explained in the manual: the manual is just...a manual! This reminds me of this procedure on the K5 whereby you set a fixed aperture for any number of bracketed shots, that was shown to me by PanoGuy - absolutely required for HDRI. I couldn't find any thing in the "manual" as I kept on getting 5 proper exposures but, all with a different apertures!
Anyway, when I first entered the digital world after film with the K10D on October 2008 I was really happy to check in on the Dikigii (or whoever it was...) tutorials on the Pentax web site who explained to me all the digital subtleties of the K10D and digital photography and how to operate it.
Maybe we should start another one like that...?
My 2 cents.
10-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WA-surfer Quote
A few questions implementing this on a K30 please.

If you are using the four select buttons to chose the metering point how can you change the ISO setting (or white balance, flash etc)?

AF button customized no problems but can't see where to tun off the half shutter focus? Thanks
"Enable AF2" in your button customisation menu disables the half press.

Shake reduction happens automatically for me too after focus.

Thanks, this technique is new for me. Makes a lot of sense. Still cant see myself moving away from centre point focus for the majority of what I shoot, but I will more than likely use SEL a bit more. Especially for staged shots.

Not sure with the other cameras but you lose exposure lock ability with this method on K-30.
10-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Is it really possible that I dont have the "shutter button half press" setting in my K-30.

I cant seem to find it. I remember having this on my k-m.
10-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
"Enable AF2" in your button customisation menu disables the half press.

Shake reduction happens automatically for me too after focus.

Thanks, this technique is new for me. Makes a lot of sense. Still cant see myself moving away from centre point focus for the majority of what I shoot, but I will more than likely use SEL a bit more. Especially for staged shots.

Not sure with the other cameras but you lose exposure lock ability with this method on K-30.

Sorry I didnt get to your post before posting the above.

I see somebody had the same problem and it has been explained. I will go check it out.
10-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #59
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting. Thank you for sharing
10-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, it's Like Pentax read my post about the placement of the AF button and fixed it on the K-3. I'm slightly more interested in the camera now.