Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #76
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Well, I tried it and have missed more shots than I ever did before. I just can't get used to it.
I ended up missing some rather important photos due to having my camera configured this way.. big bummer..

Was an interesting thought though in the OP.. However, ensure you have more than plenty enough time to practice with it before leaving your home. I resorted back to the original method/setup!

01-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
@Wired, where can I buy you a beer? I've been doing the half-press, center lock, shift aim for years. This tip has already helped this evening's experimenting. Thank you.
01-09-2014, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
@Wired, where can I buy you a beer? I've been doing the half-press, center lock, shift aim for years. This tip has already helped this evening's experimenting. Thank you.
Come to Alberta Canada and visit a snowy little town called Edmonton. I prefer Stella or Steamwhistle for brews. However a nice Islay Scotch would do nicely too.

I've been converting the write up for k5 and K3 for a front page article that I plan to submit to Adam for review this weekend. Thanks everyone for the props for this, didn't know it was going to be as helpful as it has been.
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I've been converting the write up for k5 and K3 for a front page article that I plan to submit to Adam for review this weekend. Thanks everyone for the props for this, didn't know it was going to be as helpful as it has been.
I knew of the function, but didn't really use it until I read your post. I'm converted fully.

Little side story: During a family Christmas gathering, I had the occasion to hand over my K-5 II to the GF of one of our family members, so she could take a couple of pics of the entire family. Handing over the camera was in itself a terrifying moment (my baby...), but I couldn't understand why her shots were coming out blurred. Then I realized - she was thinking she was focusing using the half-press (the 'beep' was disabled), but I had neglected to tell her to use the 'AF button.' It all worked out after a few minutes of instruction.

Looking forward to your article.

- Craig

01-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I knew of the function, but didn't really use it until I read your post. I'm converted fully.

Little side story: During a family Christmas gathering, I had the occasion to hand over my K-5 II to the GF of one of our family members, so she could take a couple of pics of the entire family. Handing over the camera was in itself a terrifying moment (my baby...), but I couldn't understand why her shots were coming out blurred. Then I realized - she was thinking she was focusing using the half-press (the 'beep' was disabled), but I had neglected to tell her to use the 'AF button.' It all worked out after a few minutes of instruction.

Looking forward to your article.

- Craig
ah yes, I've run into that too. On my D800 I've set a custom mode for handovers like that, I haven't done that yet with the K3 or K5, but I should. In theory it should be possible to set a user mode to work that out.
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
@Wired, PM'd for donation link.

This tip worked wonders today while photographing my mom with her new grandson. Movement shots at 1/125 to 1/250 worked fine. Only ISO and lighting needed tweaking after setting F2.8 on my SMC-FA 35mm F2.0, F4.0 was too dark despite high ISO. Further, probably over 95% of the 200 shots were in good or better focus. In the past if I got 5% in good or better focus I was happy. Now, I can concentrate more on composition.

How do I sneak in more natural and staged lighting into my living room without people directly noticing it?
01-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #82
Veteran Member

More kudos to @Wired and some samples of my 24 hours conversion at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/37-wanted-items/247861-wanted-smc-pentax-...ml#post2644392.

01-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using Wired's technique on my K5 for a few weeks now. It's a big improvement for me. I found it awkward at first but now I've got more practice under my belt, it's (almost) second nature. I'm really pleased. Thanks for the tip; highly recommended.
02-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #84
Forum Member

Works great on Kx

I switched to this method over the holiday when photographing my little niece. It took a second to get used to, but worked so much better. You have to be quick when taking snaps of a 9-month old unwrapping her first Christmas (eating the wrapping paper, playing with the bows, not knowing which camera to pose for). (This little girl KNOWS what a camera is!)

What's funny, a friend of mine who shoots a lot of nature/bird photos has JUST discovered this feature on her big-bad Nikon...LOL.
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #85
Veteran Member

ive found focus lock with center spot focus to be more of a benefit than a problem. Of course i photograph mainly still life

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-04-2014 at 12:29 PM.
02-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #86
Site Supporter

I might have to try this. Photographing the kids' plays can be kind of hard, especially because I don't know half what I am doing.
02-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #87
PDL
Pentaxian

I do not mean to wet on anyone's parade, but I have been suggesting that the use of the so called Back Button Focus technique for years both here and on DPR. I have used the method (which I call using the AF button for what AF means) since 2005. This is not new, nor is it bold, it has been a standard mode of operation for some of us for decades. It allows me the same flexibility that my manual film SLR's provided me since the early 70's. While this method is not a panacea, it does go a long way to allow the "photographer" to maintain creative control.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/249785-back-but...#ixzz2sO5KwnRS

The Elitist - Formerly known as PDL
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM - 6 Likes   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I do not mean to wet on anyone's parade, but I have been suggesting that the use of the so called Back Button Focus technique for years both here and on DPR. I have used the method (which I call using the AF button for what AF means) since 2005. This is not new, nor is it bold, it has been a standard mode of operation for some of us for decades. It allows me the same flexibility that my manual film SLR's provided me since the early 70's. While this method is not a panacea, it does go a long way to allow the "photographer" to maintain creative control.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/249785-back-but...#ixzz2sO5KwnRS

The Elitist - Formerly known as PDL
absolutely it's not new. but its new to a lot of people, and the point is to spread the technique to maybe unlock some extra potential for a few people. it's not about wetting on someones parade at all. The more information that is available to the community the better for it. Threads get buried over time. A year or even months from now I expect someone to create a similar thread to this one or one of the older ones and there be a whole wack of fourmites that jump on board with the "new" technique.
02-04-2014, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
but its new to a lot of people, and the point is to spread the technique to maybe unlock some extra potential for a few people. it's not about wetting on someones parade at all. The more information that is available to the community the better for it
This. It's important to remember that not everyone is an experienced photographer. Not everyone came from film SLRs. Some people have never even seen any film camera, much less used one. (Unless you count disposables.)
02-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dwhopson Quote
I switched to this method over the holiday when photographing my little niece. It took a second to get used to, but worked so much better. You have to be quick when taking snaps of a 9-month old unwrapping her first Christmas (eating the wrapping paper, playing with the bows, not knowing which camera to pose for). (This little girl KNOWS what a camera is!)

What's funny, a friend of mine who shoots a lot of nature/bird photos has JUST discovered this feature on her big-bad Nikon...LOL.
truth be told it was my D800 which taught me this technique.