Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I haven't become a convert of back button auto focus. My major annoyance is the physical placement of the af button on my k-3. It feels awkward to shift my thumb up that high.
I know what you mean with this, but I love back button focusing.

I shoot two bodies, a K-30 and a K-3.

The placement of the botton on the K-30 is quite natural for me. I dont have to look where my thumb is. Its naturally is in place.
With my K-3 how ever. I have to keep reminding myself to move my thumb higher. Where it feels natural on the K-3 is actually where the play button is.
The confusion comes a lot when I am slinging both bodies at an event.

Culture.

---------- Post added 02-01-17 at 09:12 ----------

One thing though. I do not buy the idea that the back button focus help solve front focusing or back focusing issues.

That is a camera lens issue, because the camera actually thinks that the subject is in focus. There is no other way that I know of to trick the camera than fine tune. Which I still cant seem to figure out.

01-02-2017, 07:59 AM - 4 Likes   #242
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
One thing though. I do not buy the idea that the back button focus help solve front focusing or back focusing issues.

I myself have never heard/read of that idea, which makes no sense (of course) at all.

EDIT: The title of this thread, "Perfect focus everytime", started by Wired many moons ago now, was never intended (I am quite sure) to imply that BBF would ever automagically somehow correct FF or BF issues.

Last edited by fwcetus; 01-02-2017 at 08:11 AM.
01-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #243
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I haven't become a convert of back button auto focus. My major annoyance is the physical placement of the af button on my k-3. It feels awkward to shift my thumb up that high.
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I shoot two bodies, a K-30 and a K-3.
The placement of the botton on the K-30 is quite natural for me. I dont have to look where my thumb is. Its naturally is in place.
With my K-3 how ever. I have to keep reminding myself to move my thumb higher. Where it feels natural on the K-3 is actually where the play button is.
The confusion comes a lot when I am slinging both bodies at an event.
It's interesting how individual differences come into play in regard to BBF "naturalness".

1. For me, the AF button's placement is perfect on the K-3.

2. On the K20D, the AF button is placed too far to the left for me, making it less "intuitive" for my thumb's "muscle memory" to quickly and naturally apply it for BBF.

3. For the ol' *ist DS (my go-to cam used for "gear shots" for selling gear, with an A 50/2.8 Macro and an AF080C mounted to it semi-permanently), there is no AF button to customize. However, I have the OK button customized in an attempt to have it act as the AF button while shooting, but (unfortunately) it is also too far to the left (and too low as well) to make for quick "intuitive muscle memory" use by my thumb for BBF (not for AF but for focus confirmation use with the A 50/2.8).

I suppose everyone has his/her own favorite and not-so-favorite spots for the "BBF button" to be located, and his/her satisfaction would likely vary by camera body.

Last edited by fwcetus; 01-02-2017 at 08:49 AM.
01-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #244
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Understood. [...]
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Lifted my thumb was just a term I used for released presure on the AF button...... I always use Rear AF for focus..... just sometimes select AFS to stop any focus shift as described.

Hmmm... I guess when I originally said "Understood", it wasn't - LOL. But, ~now~ I think I understand...

Last edited by fwcetus; 01-02-2017 at 09:00 AM.
01-06-2017, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I myself have never heard/read of that idea, which makes no sense (of course) at all.

EDIT: The title of this thread, "Perfect focus everytime", started by Wired many moons ago now, was never intended (I am quite sure) to imply that BBF would ever automagically somehow correct FF or BF issues.
I think that has come from people over-praising the benefits of BBF and claiming it to be a magic cure all for focus issues. Which it most certainly is not. It will not make photos "more" in focus. But for those who gel with the technique, it will increase the number of in focus photos.

This thread honestly changed my life, way back when i first come across it.
01-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I think that has come from people over-praising the benefits of BBF and claiming it to be a magic cure all for focus issues. Which it most certainly is not. It will not make photos "more" in focus. But for those who gel with the technique, it will increase the number of in focus photos.

This thread honestly changed my life, way back when i first come across it.
That sums it up very well. I feel exactly the same way that you do. There's no going back now.
01-09-2017, 07:00 PM - 6 Likes   #247
Site Supporter

I truly love BBF. But here's a little issue I present with tongue only slightly out of cheek:

It's been really cold but clear here in Portland and I happened to wake up way before dawn the other day with a brand new lens waiting in my bag (DA*300, for the curious types). So, feeling enthusiastic, I jumped in my photovan to go get some dawn pics. Turns out it was 19 degrees and "feels like 11". Cause that wind was blowing like a sonofagun. And I'm in an open field, staring at Mt.Hood.

So what's the issue? With Back Button Focus, not only did I have to freeze my index finger but my thumb went totally numb. If I'd been using a more familiar lens, I could've fumbled around through my gloves. Or, if I wasn't such a slave to BBF. But, no! I stubbornly kept at it till I thought my thumb was gonna fall right off. I've never had frostbite but I swear my thumb is not naturally that white! Finally left to go find some warm water.

Lousy dawn pictures, but went back later for sunset, when things had warmed up a bit. Three days later, my thumb is still sore.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo   
01-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #248

Really pleased i found this thread it has helped with greatly with the amount of infocus images i have managed to take, I love back button focus
Roy
01-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
I truly love BBF. But here's a little issue I present with tongue only slightly out of cheek:

It's been really cold but clear here in Portland and I happened to wake up way before dawn the other day with a brand new lens waiting in my bag (DA*300, for the curious types). So, feeling enthusiastic, I jumped in my photovan to go get some dawn pics. Turns out it was 19 degrees and "feels like 11". Cause that wind was blowing like a sonofagun. And I'm in an open field, staring at Mt.Hood.

So what's the issue? With Back Button Focus, not only did I have to freeze my index finger but my thumb went totally numb. If I'd been using a more familiar lens, I could've fumbled around through my gloves. Or, if I wasn't such a slave to BBF. But, no! I stubbornly kept at it till I thought my thumb was gonna fall right off. I've never had frostbite but I swear my thumb is not naturally that white! Finally left to go find some warm water.

Lousy dawn pictures, but went back later for sunset, when things had warmed up a bit. Three days later, my thumb is still sore.

Superb shot of this mountain .... and sorry about your thumb!
02-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #250
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Superb shot of this mountain .... and sorry about your thumb!
Thanks @jpzk! All for the cause, right? 😄
02-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #251
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks @jpzk! All for the cause, right? ��
Not really, with frostbite you could lose a finger, toe, etc. If your thumb is as white as the photo shows, you should seek medical attention. Without that thumb, BBF wouldn't do you much good, would it? Nothing to play around with!

That photo is stunning, but please in the future wear gloves!
02-12-2017, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #252
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Not really, with frostbite you could lose a finger, toe, etc. If your thumb is as white as the photo shows, you should seek medical attention. Without that thumb, BBF wouldn't do you much good, would it? Nothing to play around with!

That photo is stunning, but please in the future wear gloves!
Nah, it pinked right up when I got inside. But I did find some gloves with better utility for camera use! Most of my cold-weather gear is for skiing and snowshoeing, way too bulky for shooting in extreme cold which, thankfully, I don't do very often.

Glad you enjoyed the photo!
02-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nah, it pinked right up when I got inside. But I did find some gloves with better utility for camera use! Most of my cold-weather gear is for skiing and snowshoeing, way too bulky for shooting in extreme cold which, thankfully, I don't do very often.

Glad you enjoyed the photo!
You're the tough type, Kath!
On the other "hand", follow the advise and wear at least some cover gloves (even the thin ones would provide a bit of protection).
This: HH TOUCH LINER - Gloves & Mittens - Gear - Shop is what I use as a second pair of gloves during the winter when I have to snap a few quick shots in polar-like temperature.
The "real" winter gloves are a must, for sure, but this allows you to take the big gloves off and use those, as I mentioned, for a quick session .... better than freezing your fingertips!
... ah well ... you know all that anyway. Just a friendly reminder from your local northern photographer
02-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #254
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You're the tough type, Kath!
On the other "hand", follow the advise and wear at least some cover gloves (even the thin ones would provide a bit of protection).
This: HH TOUCH LINER - Gloves & Mittens - Gear - Shop is what I use as a second pair of gloves during the winter when I have to snap a few quick shots in polar-like temperature.
The "real" winter gloves are a must, for sure, but this allows you to take the big gloves off and use those, as I mentioned, for a quick session .... better than freezing your fingertips!
... ah well ... you know all that anyway. Just a friendly reminder from your local northern photographer
Ha! So tough, I went running for the nearest hot cup of coffee! Gone are my ski patrol days when I could stand outside in the freezing cold for hours and barely feel it.

Those gloves look good. I did find myself a couple pair of similar ones at Costco and love them. They fit tight and are made for digital, too. So you're not flopping around with big fuzzy gloves. Big improvement!

amazon.com : HEAD Digital Sport Running Gloves with Sensatec ?tag=pentaxforums-20&"Touch Screen Compatible" : Gloves By Head : Sports & Outdoors
02-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha! So tough, I went running for the nearest hot cup of coffee! Gone are my ski patrol days when I could stand outside in the freezing cold for hours and barely feel it.

Those gloves look good. I did find myself a couple pair of similar ones at Costco and love them. They fit tight and are made for digital, too. So you're not flopping around with big fuzzy gloves. Big improvement!

amazon.com : HEAD Digital Sport Running Gloves with Sensatec ?tag=pentaxforums-20&"Touch Screen Compatible" : Gloves By Head : Sports & Outdoors
Yep! That's what I meant and you obviously took care of the "matter at hand"
As for BBF, I tried with that method a while back with my (now sold) K20D and since then, never used it on neither the K5 nor the K3: I should perhaps give it another go.