Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #256

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
One more thing... if you anticipate there will be subject movement, then change the shooting mode to "continuous high" you will get a high percentage of usable shots.
Is this technique accurate most of the time? I'm having a hard time snapping moving subjects lately, partly because I'm taking photos without a monopod.

02-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #257
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
As for BBF, I tried with that method a while back with my (now sold) K20D and since then, never used it on neither the K5 nor the K3: I should perhaps give it another go.

Perhaps worth a 2nd try. The AF button in situated a bit differently on the K-3 compared to the K20D, so you might find it better - or worse. [In my case, I didn't like the location for the AF button on the K20D all that much, but I love the location on the K-3 -- however, some might find the opposite to be true for them, so YMMV...]
02-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #258

Brilliant. I've gotta admit, the BBF is a bit of a revelation. Kudos
02-14-2017, 12:40 AM   #259
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yep! That's what I meant and you obviously took care of the "matter at hand"
As for BBF, I tried with that method a while back with my (now sold) K20D and since then, never used it on neither the K5 nor the K3: I should perhaps give it another go.
Do Give it another try. I use on both the K3-II and the K50. Not sure what I would do without it at this point. Makes so much sense...

02-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ironically I'm not using it in my k-3 as it feels awkward to me. But I am using it on my tiny gx1 Panasonic.
02-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #261
Veteran Member

perhaps this has already been answered?

I've always used BBF, just feels more natural and I like to keep the shutter half pressed most of the time to turn off the rear LCD when I'm looking through the view finder.

But, when shooting in AF-C, what is the duration at which AF motor will try to focus continuously?
If I set SEL focus point and hit my subject with it, my subject moves and the AF motor activates. If I never let go of my AF button I'd assume the camera would just keep focusing regardless of how long it was held down.
However, it seems after a few seconds the AF just stops.
So if I focus on a subject in a tree (let's say a songbird). I am holding down AF button, the subject moves, then moves again. Eventually AF-C stops, then I have to let go of AF button and press it again to restart the "timer"

Is this definitively set in the camera?

I'm shooting K-3ii.

This occurs regardless of lens, so I'm assuming it's a camera setting or hard-coded in?

Thoughts anyone?
02-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #262
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
perhaps this has already been answered?

I've always used BBF, just feels more natural and I like to keep the shutter half pressed most of the time to turn off the rear LCD when I'm looking through the view finder.

But, when shooting in AF-C, what is the duration at which AF motor will try to focus continuously?
If I set SEL focus point and hit my subject with it, my subject moves and the AF motor activates. If I never let go of my AF button I'd assume the camera would just keep focusing regardless of how long it was held down.
However, it seems after a few seconds the AF just stops.
So if I focus on a subject in a tree (let's say a songbird). I am holding down AF button, the subject moves, then moves again. Eventually AF-C stops, then I have to let go of AF button and press it again to restart the "timer"

Is this definitively set in the camera?

I'm shooting K-3ii.

This occurs regardless of lens, so I'm assuming it's a camera setting or hard-coded in?

Thoughts anyone?
Hmmmm... how much time is "eventually"? I can't say I've noticed this, perhaps because I generally take a shot rather quickly when in continuous. And then am reacquiring the subject anyway. Anyone else? Could be something in the manual or Ebook about it.

02-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Hmmmm... how much time is "eventually"? I can't say I've noticed this, perhaps because I generally take a shot rather quickly when in continuous. And then am reacquiring the subject anyway. Anyone else? Could be something in the manual or Ebook about it.
Yeah I can't pinpoint it.
If I select AF-C and focus on a bird on a branch, it will lock. If I'm still holding it and the bird flies away the focus doesn't re-engage automatically. I'll need to release and press the AF button again.

Maybe it's not supposed to work the way I intended. I was thinking it'd be cool to lock on a subject and it will continuously focus as long as it's pressed in. But the AF-C will lock, and if I want that "launching" shot of the bird taking flight AF-C doesn't work the way I want it to.

So, I primarily leave AF-S selected.
03-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
If I select AF-C and focus on a bird on a branch, it will lock. If I'm still holding it and the bird flies away the focus doesn't re-engage automatically.
but this is exactly the way AF-C works, you press the af button and it will track the bird until you release the af button !
03-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #265
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
but this is exactly the way AF-C works, you press the af button and it will track the bird until you release the af button !
That's not what I'm saying.
AF-C does not track the entire time AF button is held down.

Try it for yourself:

Find a subject that moves for 3 seconds, track it with AF-C. Do not let go of the AF button, wait for the subject to stop. Do not let go of the AF button, wait for the subject to move again... AF will not track on this second movement.

Why is this?
That's the question I want answered. If it an algorithm to save battery? Does it think a stationary subject no longer needs focus tracked?

There are applications where a constant AF tracking could prove useful.
03-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #266
Veteran Member

interesting, I'll check this ^^ sound more like a bug than a battery saver
06-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I guess a skipped a step, you need to also keep your thumb held down on that AF button on the back. the second you release that button, AF stops!
Wouldn't it be nice that once you hit the back button that the AF would stay "locked" ?
Finally, is it THAT important to use SEL ?
08-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #268

QuoteOriginally posted by Toni60 Quote
Hello, please is possible to explain me how to set in the KX, I already use this method on my K5IIs and I like it.
I would like also that my daughter use the same method on her KX.
Thanks a lot.
Toni
Hi Sir, I have a K-r and it's possible to set it. I gather it's the same for the K-x. All I do is going to Menu, -> Camera page 4 -> AF/AE-L Button -> Select ''Enable AF2"
On Camera page 1 you can all so select: single AF point or 11 select AF points, or auto 11 or auto 5 focus points. If you choose 11 AF select points, the 4 track pad will be used to navigate to the AF point of your interest. You cannot quickly adjust the ISO by pressing the ISO button anymore.

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 07:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I think that has come from people over-praising the benefits of BBF and claiming it to be a magic cure all for focus issues. Which it most certainly is not. It will not make photos "more" in focus. But for those who gel with the technique, it will increase the number of in focus photos.

This thread honestly changed my life, way back when i first come across it.
If some lenses need to be calibrated to fix BF and FF issues on a camera, should we use BBF to fine tune the AF? Thanks!
09-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I've found that the K-1 after some trail and error & confusion on my part works pretty much along the same steps as the K-5, K-3II.
Hey! Bumping this older thread as I'm a fellow K-1 user as well, and I used to BBF a long time ago but have forgot some of the basics. I realise the K-1 menu differs from the op's camera, can anyone give a step by step guide on the K-1 on how to set this up, including such things as recommendation for Focus Peaking and all that kinda stuff?

Currently I have one user mode as;

1)TAv
2) AF Mode = AF.C
3) Continuous Shooting (M)
4) AF Active Area = SEL
5) 1st Frame Action in AF.C = Auto
6) Action in AF.C Cont. = Auto
7) Hold AF Status = Low
8) Button Customization> AF Button = AF2

I think this does basically what this article (and other BBF articles that are aiming at), that you hold AF button down to continuously focus and spam the shutter button to take the shot but not actually have any role in focusing itself.

I'm just wondering if the K-1 has other perks or other settings such as the modes I listed above that should be set to something other than Low or Auto as default to help manage this kinda job better?

Cheers,

Bruce

EDIT: I just wanted to add that this thread was very helpful to me, I find the only gripe I have is when i set the SEL focus to something outside of its comfort zone, such as the edge ones, that the AFC just continues to hunt and never lock onto the object, even if it's stationary. I'm guessing its a combination of me swaying ever so slightly and the AF being pushed hard (as this is not an issue using the AF points around the middle.
Nonetheless very helpful shooting advice indeed.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 09-30-2017 at 04:23 PM.
02-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #270
Keebler

How does SEL-1 work?

Hi folks,

I realize this thread is older, but I figure bring it up again may help others (plus I have a question

When I choose SEL-1, I only get the far left focus point hi lighted both in the menu selection and then when I look through the viewfinder pressing AF. Should it not start out in the middle and then move outwards (like the single point except not locked to that 1 point)?

I believe I have the latest firmware update for my K3.

Cheers,
Brian