Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your bidding against a Newbie.....

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

You may as well forget it and look elsewhere. 2 Newbies on Ebay drove this one through the roof yesterday. I've seen so overpriced auctions lately (A*85mm f1.4 @ $1345.00 - NUTS) but this one takes the cake. Seems like these 2 new Ebayers had no stop button. Just bid till ya win!

Tamron 300mm F2.8 SP IF w Nikon. Canon Pentax Minolta+ - (eBay.ca item 220213802119 end time 27-Mar-08 08:38:40 EDT)

smc PENTAX A Star 85mm f/1.4 Excellent+, mint condition - (eBay.ca item 170202167349 end time 25-Mar-08 19:02:30 EDT)

03-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Banned

well if someone really wants the * 85mm, I can see that price, I covet all A lenses especially the *'s but the price for that sigma is out right ridiculous.... why pay so much money for that? I mean come one thier are so many better lenses for a lot less IMO. I would say n00bs for sure. (sorry, my old counter-strike speak)
03-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Surprised yes - but then again these are the same people who paid $250k?? for a grilled cheese sandwich and recently The Ultimate Corn Flake ....makes a guy want to go out and buy some cheerios and say hey - I have a one shapped exactly like the Sun
03-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i do agree that people that do not know what things are worth are just driving up prices GRRRRR befor i bid i check a cople of sorses on how much stuff sales for and i set a lemit usly 20$ under the avrige is

03-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seamuis Quote
well if someone really wants the * 85mm, I can see that price, I covet all A lenses especially the *'s but the price for that sigma is out right ridiculous.... why pay so much money for that? I mean come one thier are so many better lenses for a lot less IMO. I would say n00bs for sure. (sorry, my old counter-strike speak)
hell i would like to have one of thows also BUT i think if i got one i would put it up for bidding also for that $$$$ and just get a nether one and make a prophet

i know where a Pentax - A 1.4 50 with a K1000 is that is at 150$ now i stoped bidding at 85$ the camera is what 50$ in good codtion and the lens is 100$ ( buy the way there is NO garntee on codtion of eather) so some one is going to put out 170$ or so with shipping and a crap shoot if it is good condtion not me.
the bidding is going up still also.

Last edited by nathancombs; 03-27-2008 at 07:49 AM.
03-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

LOL, seriously, I can understand the A* thing since the damn thing is highly sought after, high demand and low supply. But the Tamron 300/2.8, it's not even that special. But I guess if you shoot Nikon, the Nikon 300/2.8 would be much more expensive. So the newbie, that warrants the 1K+ bidding. LOL
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Surprised yes - but then again these are the same people who paid $250k?? for a grilled cheese sandwich and recently The Ultimate Corn Flake ....makes a guy want to go out and buy some cheerios and say hey - I have a one shapped exactly like the Sun
That is too much Dave. $1350 for a freakin' corn flake. Hey lets quit our day jobs and get that box of Cheerios. Along with a box of Cocoa Pops and Corn Dunks, we can create an entire solar system. Should be worth zillions.

Unbelievable...

03-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Don't forget some sellers see that they're not going to get the price they want so they register under a different username and bid until they win. All they're out is the final value fee rather than the entire profit they were expecting on the item. It's against eBay policy but I don't think it's policed or enforced that strictly/effectively. Therefore, you might be seeing some artificially high prices on items that never really sold.
03-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey, Nathan. What the hecks going on up there. I'm just watching ABC news. There's a story about somebody shooting at cars on 64 between Waynesboro and Charlottesville.
03-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hey, Nathan. What the hecks going on up there. I'm just watching ABC news. There's a story about somebody shooting at cars on 64 between Waynesboro and Charlottesville.
The Photograph: Random Shootings on Interstate 64

there was not much to shoot so i had a better photo i took of some bullets.
and that is all there putting out for now GRRRRRRRR
03-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
D W
Veteran Member

Maybe it has to do with the weak US dollar

The weak US dollar is making these lens look like a bargain for buyers from Europe or Asia.
03-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

When I saw 50% of bids are coming from zero sale records, I would back off the bidding anyway. It is usually a waste of time to bid against them and the items would be relisted at a later day after one of the newbie won the auction ...
03-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Don't forget some sellers see that they're not going to get the price they want so they register under a different username and bid until they win. All they're out is the final value fee rather than the entire profit they were expecting on the item. It's against eBay policy but I don't think it's policed or enforced that strictly/effectively. Therefore, you might be seeing some artificially high prices on items that never really sold.
Not only against eBay policy but actually illegal.
03-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteQuote:
that just happened to me on both a vintage pentax neck strap for my superA and an AF200T flash, both bidders were brand new with no purchases and no feedback, I knew right away what was going on and stopped bidding immediately, this unfortunately happens all too often.
03-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

i just started using ebay my self BUT i do look up how much things are worth what are these people thinking

i have seen not just one ebay Pentax and other brands go for CRAZY $$$$ a K1000 with a Pentax-A 50 F2 for 200$ GEES the camera is maby 50$ and the lens is 20$ if there in good shape .

it is soooo ez to look this stuff up