Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

technique for remote shutter release?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bout the pentax O-RC1 for use with my Pentax 30. My past experience is only with the plunger style cable release.
It seems that you have to be in front of the camera to trigger the shutter with this remote?
How do you do that ....it seems that if you are using the DA 15 with the Pentax 30 on a tripod, you would be in the picture frame?
thanks in advance for any helpl

09-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on the camera my k-x has a receiver only on the front, the k-5 series has one front and back. What I have done is stand behind the camera and hold the remote over the top pointing down. You don't have to be exactly in front, just at an angle that the receiver can see the IR beam.

I have seen posts where people rig up reflectors on the front (bit of white paper) just in front of the receiver to catch and reflect the beam. In the studio I have found that on product shots the white background is enough to reflect back the IR beam to the camera.

I think somewhere around there is a DIY repeater system.
Try: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/131633-absurdly-si...p3-player.html or
Battery IR/RF receiver for Pentax K-x shutter release | AVForums.com - UK Online
09-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, it's just like your TV remote control. If you don't point it at the front of the cable box, it won't work. You have to point it at the sensor on the front of the grip on the K-30. I just hold the remote off to the side, but slightly in front with my right hand, it seems to trigger it most of the time with out getting my hand in the shot. The best bet would be an aftermarket wireless remote that works on Rf signal instead of a beam. Bouncing the beam off a wall works in some situations, but not the most reliable way of going about it.
09-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 has a wired remote port. You may prefer going that route by getting something like this Wired Remote Control Shutter Release for Canon Pentax Samsung GX 20 10 | eBay

09-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The K-30 has a wired remote port. You may prefer going that route by getting something like this Wired Remote Control Shutter Release for Canon Pentax Samsung GX 20 10 | eBay
The wireless IR remote reciever would plug into the same port. If price is a concern, then the wired cable release is your best bet. I think mine was about $8 online. Spend a little more $$ and you can get timer fuctions and time lapse features.

But I still use the O-RC1 for most everything. The size and design is just right for what I like to do.
09-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can use the 3 second timer option with the wireless remote to get your hand out of the way. Works great for static scenes, less great if you're waiting for a fleeting moment and need to fire on demand.

On my k100d the 3s wireless mode is stupidly not a mirror lock up (I have no idea why) so I'll usually just use a homemade wired remote (ebay options are cheap here), or radio triggers (rf602s plug into the wired jack).