Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
All Pentax film cameras have faster AF the any Pentax DSLR's so far with the PZ-1 and MZ-S being the fastest. If my K10D focused as fast as my PZ-1 it would be great, but it doesn't, not even close.

Tom
There were explanations given here and there by members, the last one I have seen
was from Mabo, that PZ-1 for example has only "linear" sensor(s) which works "faster" vs "cross-type" sensor(s) (talking here about what Pentax is using, not in general) and Pentax does not use additional sensors optimized for "2.8 or brighter" lenses which might help

03-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I dont really mind the speed of the Pentax AF but having done a bit of AF lately (I mostly do MF these days) I was apphauled by the lack of accuracy of it and it annoys me that I cannot rely on it when I want to do AF. Even with static subjects and in broad sunlight. After I picked up the FA limiteds I had a test run with them indoors, first taking one AF shot and then one MF shot and comparing, MF won every time.
I mostly take pictures inside, mostly w/ FA35 and now I got FA50, mostly under dim to average light (including tungsten a lot) and I can't prefocus because of the environment - so I replaced the original focusing screen with a MF screen and now I can see better if AF is wrong, so that I can at least attempt to refocus quickly before taking a shot... now the metering might
be a little bit worse, but I rather deal w/ that than w/ out of focus pictures.
03-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I've heard lots of people criticizing Pentax' very slow AF, compared to other camera manufacturers' models. (snip)

I'm also constantly wondering what all the fuss is about as well. I have a K10D, use it in all types of lighting situations, and haven't discovered any overwhelming problems so far. Yes, it hunts when photographing a blank wall, but every AF camera I've owned did the same without some kind of assistance. In these situations, I could worry about a focus assist beam (Pentax flash) or adding contrast to the scene, but I really just don't have any great desire to photograph blank walls - not my idea of the ideal subject.

As for speed, the camera certainly focuses as quickly as, if not quicker than, I probably could in the same situations. And I would likely do just as much hunting around for correct focus in some of same conditions the camera does. Indeed, there may even be times when the camera focuses easily in situations I would find most difficult.

All in all, I don't really have anything to complain about. Are other cameras better? Perhaps. With all the many cameras available, there should be at least a few both better and worse. But, to be honest, I don't really care as long as this camera does well for the price I paid for it. And it most certainly does.

stewart
03-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I'm also constantly wondering what all the fuss is about as well.
you are a studio photographer, aren't you ?

03-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing I've noticed with my K10D. The AF performance varies considerably with the change remaining in the battery. Fresh battery = best performance. Slap in a fresh battery and my K10D will focus accurately in any light conditions, fast! Let the battery run down to near exhaustion and the AF gets a bit sluggish in low light. All my current lenses are mechanical AF.
03-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
you are a studio photographer, aren't you ?

A mixture. About an even split between the studio, locations around various towns (great background subject material here), and client selected locations (varies greatly). And, of course, I photograph when possible around the neighboring area for myself. Some of my photography might be different (studio lights downtown at night powered by a generator, for example), but I doubt most of my shootings situations are all that different from what others might experience.

However, I will admit little of my photography involves high-speed situations. I'm not a sports photographer, for example. Most of my work is carefully staged, with usually plenty of time to capture the image. I did recently (last fall) shoot a vehicle at the speedway in nearby Hockenheim, but the client rented the speedway for a couple of hours and even most of those shots were well staged. However, I was hanging out the window of a pacing car for a few images to get some realistic movement in the background of the target vehicle.

stewart
03-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
However, I will admit little of my photography involves high-speed situations. I'm not a sports photographer, for example. Most of my work is carefully staged, with usually plenty of time to capture the image.
That's the point... and we are not talking about high speed situations even - there you still
can go intending to make shots and be prepared and position yourself and prefocus in many cases... what I mean I posted there :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/21855-defense-pent...tml#post187406

and note - that Joe did not go there to take photos, neither that (focusing) should occupy his mind more than a sec...

03-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

we are not comparing the camera(s) as a whole - just their AF subsystems... and AF alone does not make the camera 2-3 times more expensive...
But why would one compare a cheaper, general purpose camera to a more sport-specialized camera (that's definitely the purpose of the 1D)? If we do that, then comparing other cameras to the 1D would put most (if not all) of them to be inferior in tracking AF department.

If we compare the Pentax to its similar priced competitors, it would be more constructive. There is no point in comparing an Accord to a Ferrari (of course the engine wouldn't be the lone factor to make up that huge difference in price). If anyone wants Pentax to have similar AF to the 1D, then they should be willing to pay a closer price to the 1D.
03-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
LOL, twice today I saw people comparing the current Pentax with a Canon 1D. Canon 1D is for sport shooter; thus it should have a very reliable tracking AF. I doubt you would find any dSLR camera out there that would be in the same league with the 1D series in tracking AF. I think people do have high expectation of their camera while wanting it to be cheap at the same time. And the argument "it's fast enough for me..." is definitely valid, since the camera fits the need of the photographer. If you're not happy with one system, then you should switch to a more suitable system.

Criticism is good when it's constructive. I admit that Pentax's AF system lags behind the competitor. But when one compare it to other brands, one should do the comparison among the similar product, not the one that is 2-3 times more expensive.
That's great, but I'm not the one to be berating. I'm just disagreeing with the argument made in the OP. My own argument would be that it's not as good, but much closer to similar cameras from the Nikon and Canon lines.
03-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

But why would one compare a cheaper, general purpose camera to a more sport-specialized camera (that's definitely the purpose of the 1D)? If we do that, then comparing other cameras to the 1D would put most (if not all) of them to be inferior in tracking AF department.

If we compare the Pentax to its similar priced competitors, it would be more constructive. There is no point in comparing an Accord to a Ferrari (of course the engine wouldn't be the lone factor to make up that huge difference in price). If anyone wants Pentax to have similar AF to the 1D, then they should be willing to pay a closer price to the 1D.
who says so ? I always want better stock turbochargers in my Subarus - but I do not need them coming with wood trim, leather or premium sound... so please, do not bring that Accord to Ferrari point.
03-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GEli Quote
That's great, but I'm not the one to be berating. I'm just disagreeing with the argument made in the OP. My own argument would be that it's not as good, but much closer to similar cameras from the Nikon and Canon lines.
I don't want to snipe you or anything. I was just saying that it's better to compare, for instance, the K20D to the Canon 40D or the Nikon D300.

who says so ? I always want better stock turbochargers in my Subarus - but I do not need them coming with wood trim, leather or premium sound... so please, do not bring that Accord to Ferrari point.
. I don't want to pick a fight here. But seriously, if Subaru decides to put that Ferrari engine under the hood, all the bling bling would come to match whether you want it or not.

I just don't understand why you insist in comparing the Pentax AF to the Canon's best out there. I would be fine if you say the 40D is better, or the Nikon D300 is twice better (of course, to be more convincing, I think some real data should be provided). Pentax's intention for the K20D is not to compete with the 1D, so why should we place them under the same category, sub-system or not?
03-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I just don't understand why you insist in comparing the Pentax AF to the Canon's best out there.
because what is the point to compare w/ something average ? because they must finally put a next generation AF under the hood !
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Same settings. Same story. Maybe I got an above average copy of the ZX-30?]
I did a little PP using sharpening tools, I think it turned out better IMHO, of course I'm anal about contrast and detail

Barry

Before PP

After PP

03-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

because what is the point to compare w/ something average ? because they must finally put a next generation AF under the hood !
Because that "something average" league is where the K20D belongs, along with the Canon 40D and the Nikon D300. If you want to see my point, you could go over to other Canikons forums, make the same AF system comparison between the Canon 1D and the Canon 40D/Nikon D300. I believe you would receive the same response as mine. If Pentax ever comes out with a sport-oriented dSLR, then you can then compare that to the 1D with all your heart content. You can bash it to oblivion with hard evidence, and I'll agree with you.
03-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Because that "something average" league is where the K20D belongs
please stop bringing the whole camera to make the point - we are talking
about AF subsystem... the whole camera is a different animal with price depending
a lot on other things like sensors, sales strategy/profit margins, etc... you can have K20D in "something average" league and still have AF subsystem, at least one central cross-type censor, on par w/ the best... at least that.

PS: going back to PZ-1 focusing - well, at least just stick that "linear/horizontal only" sensor in addition to "cross type" sensor, allow user to select which one to use.