Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Newb question about focus

I have an RS1000 and have a question that the manual doesn't address. I've had the camera about two years, and a couple of months ago, I started noticing something happening. Since it's a new issue, I assume that I've altered a setting inadvertently. When I get close to the item I want to photograph, the lens seems to "fishbowl".....In other words, items that should be geometrically square or rectangular seem to become more circular. I've tried adjusting the focus mode but it doesn't seem to make any difference for this problem. What am I doing wrong?

10-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think this is a new issue. I sounds like barrel distortion that gets more prominent the closer you focus. Most post-processing software is able to correct the distortion.
10-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If your zoom lens is set to a wide angle setting, and you get close to an object, it will pretty much always appear this way.

Try using a longer (i.e., more telephoto) zoom lens setting, and keep the camera farther away from the subject, to minimize distortion.
10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Strange, I assumed something had changed because this just started showing up. I never use the zoom feature and stick to the standard and macro focus modes, so I thought there'd be something I could correct. Anyway, if this is the way it is, so be it. If there's a link you can give me to this post-processing software you mentioned, I'd like to look at it. I appreciate your input.

10-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photoshop Elements, for example, has a filter called 'correct barrel distortion' that allows you to 'straighten' images. But as mentioned above, the best way to avoid distortion is either not to get too close or to use a longer focal length (i.e. zoom in more).
10-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The simplest thing for you to do it back off on the wide angle setting (say 17mm on a 17-55mm lens) and/or move back from your subject and zoom in. This is a characteristic of the optics (barrel distortion as has been mentioned) not your "technique" per se, other than you were doing something that was out of the ordinary for your shooting experiences.
10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is it possible the RS1000 has a fish-eye effect that the OP has turned on?