Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Cheap $5 Vivitar 2x teleconveter to Extention tube

I searched a bit and did not see any posts about this. I bought 2 vivitar pk mount 2x converters for $5 each and after trying them out and not liking the results, they sat for a month or two. I ended up taking the lenses out of one and using it as an extension tube, works great with my Vivitar 100-300mm close focus lens.

10-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

One like the 2X-22? That is the best use for them really, I have removed the glass from every cheap 2X teleconverter I have found. The only one that I didn't was the Vivitar macro focusing teleconverter.
10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Vivitar macro focusing teleconverter.
Actually did that. I ended up with one with fungus all over it. Took it apart and cleaned it but it never really worked to suit me, images were very soft. Finally took the glass out and it makes a very nice adjustable extension tube.
10-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually did that. I ended up with one with fungus all over it. Took it apart and cleaned it but it never really worked to suit me, images were very soft. Finally took the glass out and it makes a very nice adjustable extension tube.
I'd like to find one in bad condition for that purpose. Mine was brand new in the box and clean, though it definitely did fall into the cheap price range.

10-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
though it definitely did fall into the cheap price range.
Got mine in a box of other stuff, figure it cost $30. I also ended up with another one in pristine condition that came in another box of stuff, it wasn't even listed so it was quite a surprise when I dug it out of the old camera bag I bought.

@OP The idea of making extension tubes out of TC's has been around for a while. No one really makes extension tubes with contacts in them for Pentax so we have had to resort to 'extreme measures'. There are plenty of cheap tubes out there but good ones with contacts are scarce. As are modern TC's for that matter. I think the new Pentax 1.4x one has been on the road map but never delivered for maybe 5 years.
10-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally took the glass out and it makes a very nice adjustable extension tube.
Was it easy to remove the glass (non-destructively)? What kind of extension range does it have? The Pentax helicoid extension tube has a range of around 20mm (~26mm to ~46mm).

There are plenty of cheap tubes out there but good ones with contacts are scarce.
Most plentiful seem to be the KAR-mount (Ricoh) 2x TCs. With these the glass is easy to remove and you end up with a ~25mm A-type tube.
10-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Check out this post, then scroll down a couple posts for pictures.

I happen to use a macro converter unless IQ is really critical, but so long as the extension tubes support aperture actuation, you can mount any A, F, FA, or DA lens on fairly cheap extension tubes using this method. No glass removal necessary!

10-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Was it easy to remove the glass (non-destructively)? What kind of extension range does it have?
If I remember right it was fairly to get apart but things came in pieces unlike some of the TCs I've read about where the optics all unscrew as a single unit. So while I saved all the parts and could put it back, I'm not sure I would call it 'non-destructive'. Mine had a lot of fungus that I think damaged the coatings so it was no loss to me. I've never measured the extension, but it was designed to work with a 50mm prime if that helps. If I remember I'll measure it after work.
10-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

but it was designed to work with a 50mm prime if that helps.
Probably extends to about 50mm, then, or nearly. Just curious about the range, and how it compares to the Pentax Helicoid tube.
10-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Probably extends to about 50mm, then, or nearly. Just curious about the range, and how it compares to the Pentax Helicoid tube.
I don't have my caliper handy to measure it, but it goes from about 45mm to 65mm total. That is flange to flange, ignoring the internal glass location.