Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would also suggest the OP invest in a remote, a cheapie IR one should help. I'm guessing a lack of remote was the reason for the 12 second timer (to run into the picture) and contributing to the antsiness of the family.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Got a DA lens? Neither my DA 18-135 nor my DA L 55-300 include a distance scale let alone the scribed aperture lines. Other than using my own inadequate eyeballs or carrying along a separate range finder, the only two focusing points I know for sure are minimum distance (from the published specifications) and infinity (and infinity can be a bit iffy too with some zooms).
Lack of a distance scale doesn't appear to be the norm on DA lenses. From quick perusal through the database- it appears to be missing only on the DA-L's (budget lenses), the DA 35 2.4, the DA 50 1.8, the DA XS 40mm (3 'budget' primes), and the DA 18-135m (this seemed surprising, but I guess it's sealed design may have required a window for a scale). I may have missed some but I think the rest have at least a distance scale. I didn't actually realize this is something they ever left off before this thread.

Most of the limiteds, the DA*'s, the DFA's and a few DA's also include aperture lines. I think the sigma 10-20mm being used has a distance scale (no DOF scale though).

10-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
A real world example of why shallow DoF is a problem and NOT a feature.
Amen to that, I hate shallow dof and don't lust over a full frame, even the much asked for more focus points would not have helped the OP, if he had used the ones he has he would not have had his oof problem
10-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I have never actually done a photo like this, but I did some testing with off camera flash close to the subject:
Use the AF360 in slave 2 mode, mounted low on a little tripod close to the group. ( eg a Yashica table-pod)
Manually set the AF360 zoom to just cover the group, eg 35mm.

Stop down with iso 800, and let the camera expose for the building.
The DOF of that lens should be from about 2 metre to infinity at say, F/11 , and the AF360 should have enough power for a smaller group.
10-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A tilt-shift lens can change the plane of focus so more or less is in focus also.(just to confuse things)