Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A simple question...

The status screen at the bottom of the viewfinder turns off automatically if I do nothing with the camera for a time.
Can I turn it on and leave it on all the time?

I'm using AE-L button a lot lately and when the status screen disappears the AE-L button does not work.
It's irritating to have to do a half press on the shutter to bring it up again when I'm constantly using the AE-L button.

I must be missing something somewhere....

Last edited by wildman; 10-16-2013 at 02:17 AM.
10-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You don't mention which camera you have, but on a k-5 you can choose between three settings (3, 10 or 30 seconds metering time) on the first page of the "custom settings" menu. Indeed "always on" isn't an option.
10-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both the display time and the AE-L time are linked with metering time, so it is also linked with battery saving sleep mode.
You can extend the sleep mode time to 30 seconds, but you do want that functionality to sleep, or you would notice a definite change in battery life if the camera were metering 100% of its powered on life. I guess it would be nice to keep the two separate, especially when metering is locked and that processing could be turned off.

Not sure why you would use AE-L for an extended period of time, though... Thats what Manual mode is for. :-)
Yeah... I know. I'm half-joking. I have the same problem... the metering timeout is somehow always about 1 second too short for what I need to shoot.
So I have to re-meter and set the AE-L and try again.

But in those cases where its a continuous problem, I will end up going to Manual mode and use the Green Button to quickly re-meter when necessary.
10-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation - got it.

Set the K5 to 30 sec.

This limitation makes sense but I do have 5 batteries to work with as well the external power supply so I wish it could at least be an option.

I have been experimenting trying to get the perfect (ideal?) tonal range so I have been spot metering all over the place sometimes not even within the image frame but whatever will give me the results I want. It takes time working this way and then the damn camera times out.

Not a very compelling shot but you get the idea what I'm working on....

Last edited by wildman; 11-02-2013 at 05:07 AM.