Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

i have hit a dry spell, i have zero motivation to take any pictures, i'm waiting for the snow to melt, i have many projects i want to attempt

but when its -10 outside, its hard to enjoy yourself and take the proper time to get the right shot.

03-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
My K1000 got taken in a burglary of my home back in '95. I still had a couple rolls of film in my bag undeveloped that were truly irreplacable shots/memories from my time overseas in the USMC. I was too broke and too crushed/pissed to replace the camera and equipment and I walked away from photography completely for over 10 years. Didn't even buy a point-and-shoot until 2006.
Oh wow how horrible
03-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
SHOOT!

Just shoot. Christ, if you're not pro, you've got nothing to lose. SHOOT! F. F. S!

Hell, you're not even wasting film.
you are right!
03-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The second thing is to not give a damn what others may think of you for stopping to take a picture of something which most folks might consider not photo-worthy.
Well said - people often question/make fun of me for stopping at all times to take photos .. but when they see the results, if I'm able to send them a shot or put together a story book .. they have nothing but awe and admiration!

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
A well-known photographer in my area expressed that same sentiment while taking questions after a lecture. Someone asked him, "What's the best way to see really good pictures?" He said, "Leave your camera at home. I guarantee you'll see prize winners everywhere."
Absolutely! Man, I get stressed when I don't have my camera .. I went mini-golfing a few weeks ago with out it, and no one could believe how upset I was that we didn't stop home first! I still need to go back and take the camera, just so I can get it out of my system, but it still won't be the same ..

03-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #20
Not Registered

Cos of this crappy winter I decided to practice with product shoots and practice some strobism. I really recomend it. It is fairly inexpensive and you develop a better grasp of how to handle the light. I use all short of thingies to shoot, Shin Chan toys, liquids in different forms and shapes, hardware tools... lately, my fetiche is the giotto rocket blower, I love that red.
04-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
Absolutely! Man, I get stressed when I don't have my camera .. I went mini-golfing a few weeks ago with out it, and no one could believe how upset I was that we didn't stop home first! I still need to go back and take the camera, just so I can get it out of my system, but it still won't be the same ..
The other day I had to walk 50 yards from my truck to a convenience store and started to stick a compact 35 in my pocket, but thought, "Nah...nothing photo-worthy is going to happen between here and there."

As I walked up to the front of the store I heard a loud crash and a shriek. A young man and his sweet young thang taking a break on a nice motorcycle riding day were parked in front and SYT had been carelessly draping herself on the bike, which her beau had parked on the kickstand on a slight incline, leaving the bike at a precarious angle.

Sweet young thang high-sided his nice Honda CBR600SS and sent it crashing to the pavement. Based on his reaction I knew they weren't married and that either he was angling to "get some" or was already getting it and didn't want to spoil a good thing.

And there I was with four cameras 50 yards away. May as well have been 500 miles away.
04-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Longest time? I hate to admit it, but it was almost 10 years. In 1996 I was in a camera shop, and they convinced me that it was a good idea to have the shutter adjusted on my ME-Super. It seemed like a good idea since the camera was getting older, so I gave it to them to work on. $85.00 dollars later I walked out with my adjusted camera. After that I didn't use it for a few months. Then one day I picked it up to take some pictures, and it was not working right. The lever would advance the film, but would only cock the shutter every 4 or 5 frames. I'll tell ya, that is a really fast way to blow through film! The shop that I had work on the camera was not local, so I couldn't just go down and stare them in the eye and tell them to fix it. Naturally I was fried, frustrated, depressed. What a pathetic story!

So 10 years later, my kids are growing up and I need to take pictures! The wifes P&S Nikon is not doing the job. So I pick up my old ME-Super and looked it over and figured I didn't have anything to lose to try and fix it. I fiddled with it for a bit, found the problem and fixed it! Now I have 10 years of photographic depression to work out, so I'm taking pictures like a mad man.

04-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I wonder if thats the advantage of being a "snapshot" shooter as opposed to a real photographer i rarely suffer for inspiration. I always have my camera with me and if i see something I like i take a picture. I dont have to be inspired or have a project course that could be why my pics intrest me but no one else i guess ahh well. Long live the snaphot
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #24

As Mike Cash said you need to have your camera with you. You are hoping for photo oppurtunities to pop out in front of you when you have a spare 10 minutes - does not happen unfortunatley.

Also think beyond the square and look deeper into the big picture as you might find a great photo lurking in the corner - that's why macro photographers have so much fun.

I am sitting at my computer and see the tiny lights of my dvd reflecting off a CD on my desk - a close up photo of this could be exceptional .... there are photo's to be taken everywhere if you use your imagination.

My cats can no longer see in the dark from over exposure to my flash .. lol and the dog gets anxiety whenever he sees my camera. Expand your photography beyond living things and you might find a new world out there - even if you don't, at least your cat will appreciate it

Cheers
Keith
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

im an odd bird in that i will go a while without shooting--in spite of having my camera with me almost every day of the week. sometimes im just in too much of a rush, sometimes im just not in the mood.

longest i did go was from the end of february, (2/28 i think, whatever the wednesday was), till mid-march...and even then my heart wasn't in it---that was the span of time i flew home from brazil to be at my moms side before she died.
did take a few shots the weekend after, but again, heart was not in it.

really only finally got back in the saddle last week. felt good, but still not feeling inspired. maybe this weekend at the circus
04-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Quote
As Mike Cash said you need to have your camera with you. You are hoping for photo oppurtunities to pop out in front of you when you have a spare 10 minutes - does not happen unfortunatley.

Also think beyond the square and look deeper into the big picture as you might find a great photo lurking in the corner - that's why macro photographers have so much fun.

I am sitting at my computer and see the tiny lights of my dvd reflecting off a CD on my desk - a close up photo of this could be exceptional .... there are photo's to be taken everywhere if you use your imagination.

My cats can no longer see in the dark from over exposure to my flash .. lol and the dog gets anxiety whenever he sees my camera. Expand your photography beyond living things and you might find a new world out there - even if you don't, at least your cat will appreciate it

Cheers
Keith

But my cat is has such a personality thru the camera.. LOL I do agree and I am getting out there it is getting nicer..
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I hear you, there was a stretch of time this winter where I must have taken 500 shots of marbles and salt shakers.

Go out for a walk when it's sunny and above 35, or go to the mall and engage in some 'street photography'.

Here are some attempts to fight cabin fever in Minneapolis, should work in Madison too! :

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - Vivitar_200mm...

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - tamron_18-250...

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - voigtlander_1...
04-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I hear you, there was a stretch of time this winter where I must have taken 500 shots of marbles and salt shakers.

Go out for a walk when it's sunny and above 35, or go to the mall and engage in some 'street photography'.

Here are some attempts to fight cabin fever in Minneapolis, should work in Madison too! :

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - Vivitar_200mm...

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - tamron_18-250...

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - voigtlander_1...
I enjoyed your pictures. Minnesota definately gets cold too. I have gotten out the last few days and tried to maual focus. wow am I bad at that! Anyhow I have always wanted to do the street photography but I am not sure how to do it without being obvious or rude. also aren't there legal things to worry about it?
04-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #29

Original Poster
yesterday I headed downtown to shoot. I had no idea what. I spent some time shooting a church that had been in a fire a few years back and it still hasn't been repaired. I was not impressed with what I got but... at least I was out doing it. My eye got drawn to a few police cars about 4 blocks from where I was and they had the road blocked off. I was thinking of snooping around there but thought.. I'm hungry need to eat... and off I went home. On the way home on the radio they were talking about the disturbance. A young college woman had been murdered in broad daylight! I am glad I didn't go down that way.. I guess it goes to show we always need to be on our toes when shooting.. people are nuts.. maybe i should start a shooting safely thread....
04-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The best cure when in a funk is to go out and buy some stuff for your camera/hobby! It need not be a new lens, but maybe just a strap, or even an old photography book... this will surely lift you out your funk!