Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #1

How long have you gone....

I think it was established sometime last week or the week before, that the majority of us on this forum are not professionals. I shot for the enjoyment and love of photography. That being said... how long have you gone without taking pictures (not including time without equipment).

I feel that I am going a little stir crazy. I am getting tired of my cats being my subjects and I think they are getting a little annoyed too. It is just such an ugly time of year in Wisconsin and I am uninspired by my surroundings. I have had my camera for 2 weeks and have taken one picture that I think was a keeper. I shot about 100 pict of my cats though, not interesting... Any suggestions on when you get into a funk and really want to hit the shutter but have nothing to shoot....

03-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think about 2 or so months of none real shooting (since getting the k10..I took a 2 - 2.5 year hiatus when I was still on film due to lack of fundage...)
due to moving to a new place (from NY to NJ) and dealing w/ the longer commute.
during the week, now, I barely shoot, between commuting (4 hours a day RT) and work, i have no free time to begin w/. I try to bring the K10 w/ me, but sometimes, even I find nothing or just feel uninspired..(maybe just too tired....)

i havnt shot much in the past week and a half, just trying to catch up on chores and such...

I hate it when life gets in the way of fun...
03-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #3

Good discussion starter .. at first I thought you were going to say, "How long can you stay away from your camera?", but I realize the question is, "What happens when you get stuck in a rut?"

I don't get the opportunity to shoot during the week, however I will say that every day I spend sometime doing something photography-related. Checking out the forums for things to learn, organizing/editing photos in Elements, etc. On the weekends, I take my camera everywhere .. the shots just present themselves to me! Just about the only place I dont take it is in the movie theatre

Shots are all around you .. give your cats a break and look for other subjects in your surroundings. Shadows, angles, trees w/o leaves, architecture, etc .. challenge yourself to find things you never noticed.
03-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i try to shoot a bit, each day. i'm starting to think of setting up still lifes, to try to increase my creativity, and get some more decent shots..

03-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trying to be creative on demand is tough. Trying to break a creative funk can be a real challange.

The longest I went without practising photography was close to 11 years. I hope not to ever do that again. My k1000 jambed, and I did not have to cash at the time to fix it. Then when I had the cash, I had forgotten about the camera and the hobby. Kind of sad. Wonder what pictures I missed?

I have started the hobby again, and this time I am gaurding against the funk, with the same method i use for work (I design stuff for a living). When I am "up" and the creative juices are flowing, I collect ideas to be used later. So when a creative funk hits, and a deadline aproaches, I go back to my notes, sketches and concept stuff for inspiration.

Today I went out to snap a few frames. I have to admit, today, not too inspired. But I kept at it. Only shot off 36 frames, none are real keepers. But now looking back at todays work, I can see starting points for future photo projects. So, when I am hit with the need to get all artsy, I see three photos that will be starting points for photo essay type projects. It gets me thinking about the photo, and the excitment or getting a great photo. I tell you, the worst thing I can do when I fall in a rut is surf e-bay for lenses or gear I don't need.

The other thing I do to break the rut, is change the gear I use. I put down the K10D, and pick up a K1000, or an ME or something and go shoot some film. It seems I have a variety of other camera bodies from surfing e-bay while in a rut...I think they call this irony.

I am a bit of a Packers fan. On day I hope to get to Wisconsin and visit Green Bay. One of the things I really enjoy about this forum is the variety of places people are from, and the chance to see the landscapes, and cities were people live.

How about a couple of photos of Wisconsin in the spring? I'd really like to see what Madison looks like this time of year.

Good luck with getting your groove back.

Eric.
03-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm with you on the stir crazy deal. I work out of my home so that means I'm basically at work all the time, and on top of that our first born is due to arrive literally *any* day now, so we're both seriously tied down and have cabin fever pretty bad. Going to the grocery store is "exciting" stuff!

Inspiration is pretty low right now as weather has been rather dodgy but I still try and at least see if any new flowers have blossomed each day. Either I've gotten bored with the dogs and cats or they with me, not sure which. The wife is understandably not feeling too photogenic of late either. A large percentage of the 1200 or so I've clicked off so far though have been pretty mundane test shots though. Lots and lots of pics of the ceiling fan or the torch lamp in the office experimenting with DOF, white balance, etc. just to get more comfortable with the camera so I don't have to think as hard when it's time to really go after a keeper shot.
03-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The longest I went without practising photography was close to 11 years. I hope not to ever do that again. My k1000 jambed, and I did not have to cash at the time to fix it. Then when I had the cash, I had forgotten about the camera and the hobby. Kind of sad. Wonder what pictures I missed?
My K1000 got taken in a burglary of my home back in '95. I still had a couple rolls of film in my bag undeveloped that were truly irreplacable shots/memories from my time overseas in the USMC. I was too broke and too crushed/pissed to replace the camera and equipment and I walked away from photography completely for over 10 years. Didn't even buy a point-and-shoot until 2006.

03-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is clear that most of us cant stay away from our camera, for long at all without having withdrawal symptoms.
I wonder is it me!!! or what?........... When I am out and about,with out the camera, I find myself looking at most things from the point of view of the camera. "Hey, that would make a gret shot!" e.g.

I even sometimes find myself walking around something, ( a building, park bench etc) looking for the best angle to shoot, No camera with me mind you.
I think sometimes, the Psychologist maybe sharpening his pencil, awaiting my visit No doubt, I've got the bug!
03-31-2008, 03:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The real key to finding stuff to shoot is....excuse me while I state the obvious....having your camera with you. The second thing is to not give a damn what others may think of you for stopping to take a picture of something which most folks might consider not photo-worthy.

I'm a truck driver and keep my K100D (and from one to three film cameras) with me all the time at work. Want to see the sort of things you can find to take photos of if you just take the small step of having your camera always at your side? Click on the links in my signature.
03-31-2008, 04:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

It has been a month and a half now that I have not been able to use my cameras at all. I had a full knee replacement Feb. 27 of 08 and up until this past week have not been allowed to move around that much. The Dr has me on a weight restriction which would not allow me even picking up my camera bag. (Talk about Sucks). I'm now allowed to go out on the deck with of all things a walker. (not only do I have to try and balance my self but have to push a walker around an uneven wooden deck). I did get a chance to take a few shots yesterday of the back yard and the river. (Same old S**T different day shots) I have at least another week before I can drive again and I totally look forward to being able to be mobile again. It will be at least another 3 months before I can go back to work (This is great news because I no longer have a job to go back to.) Knowing this I enrolled in a school to get my A+, Net+, and all my Microsoft certifications and will be starting school full time by the third week of April. I will have all 11 certifications I need to be employable with in 10 months. However the school I am going to is the world leader in IT certifications for the corp. world, and the networking that I can do with these corp employees I should be able to find a job with no problems and be well on my way to a new life.
In the mean time I will be using my camera and enjoying a new found freedom. I keep telling myself it's only a few more days to total freedom.
I truly wish everyone on the forum a great day and to let you all know it's good to be able to stay in touch with others who keep my spirits up just by posting great shots and thoughtful post's.
03-31-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
Inactive Account

SHOOT!

Just shoot. Christ, if you're not pro, you've got nothing to lose. SHOOT! F. F. S!

Hell, you're not even wasting film.
03-31-2008, 04:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I checked the number of photos in Lightroom:

In 2008: 1384 photos, of which 800+ where shot in Thailand
In march 2008: 89 photos.

I do not take my camera to work, its not appropriate.
For the rest I agree with Mike Cash, when you get out, just take the thing with you and do not bother with the other people.

- Bert
03-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The second thing is to not give a damn what others may think of you for stopping to take a picture of something which most folks might consider not photo-worthy.
I actually enjoy those moments because I know that I see things others don't, that I look at the world around me in a different way. its a satisfaction like no other. I don't always carry my K110D or my superA everywhere I go but my K1000 is literally a part of myself. wherever I roam my K1000 roams with me.
03-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #14
Forum Member

My leave period

Mine was for over 7 years, when I was moving first, then changing jobs and finally setting up a new venture which I am currently at. My film camera was Pentax Z1-P. Then I purchased my first Digital point and shoot in 2002, a Sony cybershot and then Cannon Powershot and the first DSLR in 2006. But since my job invloves a lot of business travel and many places I cannot take my kit along due to short trips, I am currently mostly a weekend photographer. That too only the weekends I am in town. I really envy those who can carry the cam around everywhere.

Thanks,
Kris.
03-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The real key to finding stuff to shoot is....excuse me while I state the obvious....having your camera with you.
A well-known photographer in my area expressed that same sentiment while taking questions after a lecture. Someone asked him, "What's the best way to see really good pictures?" He said, "Leave your camera at home. I guarantee you'll see prize winners everywhere."
I sometimes get in ruts where I see things that interest me, but I talk myself out of shooting them for various reasons. Sometimes I pre-judge the scene and feel like I can't get the angle that I want or maybe I don't feel the light is quite right...and sometimes I just don't know why anyone would care about a particular subject. The way I break those thoughts is to just start shooting. I call it "getting off of high-center". Once I start shooting, that gets the process rolling for me. One shot leads to another and before long, I'm finding things that DO interest me.