Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 07:03 AM   #1

Which glass for "people" portraits?

I'd like to hone my purely amateur skills at taking family pics - formal family portraits, b-day parties, days at the park, etc. Which glass would you suggest for the K10D, which I got with the DA 18-55mm.

03-31-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

For formal portraits, the 18-55mm, towards the 55mm end, is probably a good focal length to start with. Most would likely choose something more in the range of 70 to 90mm (flattens perspective), but that could come later. Beyond that, there really are no other overwhelming requirements other than perhaps investing in one or two mild diffussion filters to soften wrinkles and skin blemishes (some of your subjects with less then ideal skin condition might appreciate the help).

As for b-day parties and so on, the 18-55mm is just fine. However, a bit faster lens, or a flash, might be useful in the less then ideally lit rooms often used for indoor parties. While I commonly use flash, many hate the look of indoor flash. However, I think the results can look pretty good with decent bounce or diffusion used with the least amount of flash that is necessary.

stewart
03-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you are looking for a new lens and if you can afford it, the 77mm; though it can be long for indoor use in the house, it's unbeatable image wise.

If you are more budget minded and in a shopping mood, the 50mm f/1.4 is brilliant, as is the 35mm f/2.

If you want to stick with the lenses you have, play around with them in the 50-70 range and see what works best for you. Color rendering, contrast and such can be fixed with post processing so I tend to look for sharpness and nice, smooth out of focus areas in my portrait lens.
03-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #4

In my opinion, equipment should follow skills. Start with the lens you have and when you notice you actually need something that it doesn't produce, buy new equipment. New equipment doesn't often improve your skill or knowledge.

03-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok thanks to all; I will play around some more with what I have.
03-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
(snip)
If you are more budget minded and in a shopping mood, the 50mm f/1.4 is brilliant, as is the 35mm f/2.
(snip)
Ok I looked at this.
PentaxWebstore smcP FA 50mm f/1.4
Specs say "Equivalent focal length to 75mm in the 35mm format with PENTAX DSLRs". I'm aware of the 1.5x conversion between 35mm to DSLR. So does this mean my DSLR will look through this 50mm equivalent to my 35mm looking through a 75mm? I was just confused at Pentax's wording.
03-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zilla Quote
Specs say "Equivalent focal length to 75mm in the 35mm format with PENTAX DSLRs". I'm aware of the 1.5x conversion between 35mm to DSLR. So does this mean my DSLR will look through this 50mm equivalent to my 35mm looking through a 75mm?
Basically, yes. The field of view of the 50mm on the K10D is the same as a 75mm on a film body. This means you're seeing a smaller cone. Put another way, it's as though you have a 1.5 multiplier in front of your lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
In my opinion, equipment should follow skills. Start with the lens you have and when you notice you actually need something that it doesn't produce, buy new equipment. New equipment doesn't often improve your skill or knowledge.
This is great advice. I did this for a while with the kit lens and noticed two definite trends in my photography that led to buying two different lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
If you are looking for a new lens and if you can afford it, the 77mm; though it can be long for indoor use in the house, it's unbeatable image wise.

I would not recommend the 77mm for the OP precisely because it will be far too long for indoor shots. Even the 50mm might be. I got the 43mm because it is good for group shoulder portraits. The 35mm is also a good choice for if you want more context. It depends a bit on if you like to really isolate your subject. Personally I don't think that makes for as many good photos in the family situation. And it's easier to crop than it is to step back through a wall into the adjoining room.

As for "days at the park" the kit lens will be good enough for that. Low light shouldn't be a problem... if it is maybe go somewhere else instead of the park? You will need the zooming to keep up with moving people and to give you speed in composition.

04-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as well as the fast primes mentioned above, consider Tamron 28-75 f2.8, or Sigma 24-70 f2.8.
Both fast enough, with very good IQ and and they are very versatile...
04-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
...(snip)... I would not recommend the 77mm for the OP precisely because it will be far too long for indoor shots. Even the 50mm might be. I got the 43mm because it is good for group shoulder portraits. ...(snip)...

I disagree. Remember we're talking about family portraits, not full length shots or large groups. A lens in the 70 to 90mm range doesn't require all that much distance from the subject to obtain typical portrait shots (the face alone up to roughly one half the human body), even with small groups like the family portrait the OP seeks. Further, since a slightly telephoto lens flattens perspective (very flattering to the face), this type of lens has long been considered ideal for portrait photography. As you and I (and one or two others) said, his existing 18-55mm lens can cover just about anything else mentioned (birthday parties, the park, etc).

stewart
04-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flattening perspective is indeed quite flattering to many and I have the 77mm on my "like to have" list. But I use the 43mm a lot more than I would the 77mm. If I was setting up studio shots things would be different, but for catching people in a typical residential room indoor I would find the FOV too narrow (115mm equivalent).

I think it comes down to one's style mostly. I like to have some context around the subject, not just isolate their face. And it's fun showing off the nice bokeh.
04-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd like to hone my purely amateur skills at taking family pics - formal family portraits, b-day parties, days at the park, etc. Which glass would you suggest for the K10D, which I got with the DA 18-55mm.
Patrickt's advice is the best I've heard in a long time: "...equipment should follow skills. Start with the lens you have and when you notice you actually need something that it doesn't produce, buy new equipment. New equipment doesn't often improve your skill or knowledge."

So I wouldn't buy anything. Besides, you've got at least one good lens already, maybe two or three. Your sig mentions a Tamron 28-70. What's that? Is that the right description or is it a typo for the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD (IF) ETC.? If this is indeed the 28-75 f/2.8, then you've got everything you need right now - that's a very nice lens for your purposes. And even if it's not the same lens (perhaps there was an older 28-70 that I don't know about and which isn't listed on Tamron's site), well, the range is very good, so give it a try!

Here's a quick shot taken when my daughter (on the right) had some friends over to play:

That was taken with the Pentax 35 f/2. It's a very nice lens for working inside, as it's sharp, fast, and has a very useful focal length for close-in work. The "problem" with short lenses is that it's hard to take photos without the subject knowing you're taking a photo. With a 70mm lens, you can stand on the other side of the room and take photos and (possibly) not get noticed.

Anyway, take patrickt's advice to heart and spend some time shooting with what you've already got.

Will
04-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
(snip)
Anyway, take patrickt's advice to heart and spend some time shooting with what you've already got.
(snip)
Ok thanks again. I'll check my lens and correct my sig.
04-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
Forum Member

I totally agree with that, equipment should follow skills. Great advise.
Thanks,
Kris
04-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
Ok thanks again. I'll check my lens and correct my sig.
It's a Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5 I bought with the Zx-5n a few years back. Here's a pic I just now took with it. I just adjusted the WB and sharpened it a little with ACR from Bridge, and of course resized it for posting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

wow thats a great catch