Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
How many shots were done at the long end? can you run something like exifplot and tell us what focal lengths you actually used?
Good question. I did that cmparison after the trip (I was gone for a week to New Orleans and D.C.) as I was comparing the 18-250 to the older 28-300, which I liked very much as well. I was more interested in seeing whether I'd use the wider part from 18mm to 28mm, and I did. I don't know the percentage of shots I took at the long end, but I occasionally did. I can see in D.C. it wouldn't be as necessary, however I'll often use the close focusing capability (focuses at 18" at all focal lengths) as a sort of "macro" for nearby objects. Even with the slow aperture of f/6.3, at that focal length you can still get a very shallow DOF for isolating a subject. Also, this lens is pretty small and compact, about the same size as shorter lenses, so I figure it's not costing me anything in terms of size/weight to have the extra length if I need it.

I'm sure there are other lenses that would serve as well or probably better. I just found the 18-250 works well for me as a travel lens. If there's any place where you could safely leave the telephoto at home, D.C. is probably it considering how compact it is, and all the museums you'll be in.

04-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Over the last few days after work I've been doing a lot of walking around w/ my camera kit to get a better idea of what it's like to be hauling around 20+ pounds of gear... you guys are right, traveling light is the way to go. I suppose that's the beauty of the 18-250... it really covers a wide range. But I know I tend to shoot wide much more than I shoot tele, so I think this will help me choosing what to bring.

And to those who suggested going with a monopod except for some night shooting makes sense. Anyways, thanks for the tips everyone and hope you don't mind if I post some pics when I get back.
04-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Over the last few days after work I've been doing a lot of walking around w/ my camera kit to get a better idea of what it's like to be hauling around 20+ pounds of gear... you guys are right, traveling light is the way to go. I suppose that's the beauty of the 18-250... it really covers a wide range. But I know I tend to shoot wide much more than I shoot tele, so I think this will help me choosing what to bring.

And to those who suggested going with a monopod except for some night shooting makes sense. Anyways, thanks for the tips everyone and hope you don't mind if I post some pics when I get back.
Get the 10-17 and the 18-250. You'll be covered in terms of focal lengths. Stick a 31mm limited in your pocket for low light shots and you're good to go.

I think it boils down to perspective. You can worry about the shots you can't take because of the equipment you don't have, or you can focus on the infinite number of shots you can take with whatever equipment you have with you.

We're counting on you posting lots of pictures!
04-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Can't wait to hear what you took with you and see some of the pics you get

04-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I am going to echo what has already been said here....

I travel for a living (professional tourist) and take along my K10D with a 18-250 and a SMC-FA50/1.4 and thats all the weight I can stand when being on my feet all day, walking, standing in lines, etc. I think the weight of anything bigger than my holster bag strapped over my shoulder and my 50/1.4 in my pocket for indoor or special shots, would be more than I would be comfortable with.

Unless I was specifically traveling for the sake of photography, I would leave a big bag and an array of lenses, especially a tripod too, at home...

That's just my opinion

Have fun!

Jas
04-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #21
Forum Member

Some DC shots for ideas

Here are some of my shots from DC from a few years ago. They were all taken with a Sony P/S, handheld (this was way before I picked up the Pentax). They should help to give you some ideas for shooting and what things look like day/night.

WWII Memorial

Smithsonian Air and Space Museaum (original and new facility at Dulles combined)

Misc. shots of the Monuments around DC

Security was tight 3 years ago and I doubt it's gotten any more lax.
04-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
whoops, thought this thread was dead so haven't been checking in... sorry everyone, wasn't ignoring ya!

anyhow, i'm about to take off. in some ways I'm feeling pretty intimidated by these monuments... I think it will be hard to capture their essence in ways that do them justice. it will be a learning experience for sure. and as I get better at photography, I can see myself wanting to go back to retake the shots that I missed the first time! but regardless, it will be a target rich environment for photo ops so I can't wait.

wish me luck and thanks for all your encouragement and advise!

04-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I lived in DC for three years (2000-2002) and never had any security issues. Be sure that you know where not to go so that you don't end up there by accident and use common sense "big city awareness". The Metro is great; check to see if it runs late enough (can't remember if it goes all night) for you.
I agree with carrying a light kit; personally I'd walk around with two lenses - an 18-250 zoom and a fast, short prime. I'd forget the tripod unless you know that you are going somewhere that requires it.
Be sure to hit the Aerospace Museum out by Dulles; the scale is amazing. DC is a great place for "street photography" because of the mix of people that are out and about at all times. Don't overlook those opportunities. Some of the people in the museums are as interesting as the exhibits.
Have fun and post your pictures.
04-14-2008, 06:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Your lens selection has everything covered. For museum days the 17-35 and 50mm 1.4 with a monopod in a small bag would do the trick, easy in and out and not too much security pawing. For outdoor daytime i'd take the 70-300mm and 17-35mm and monopod. Nights would be the 50 and 17-35. For the macro, you could visit the indoor botanical garden near the capitol /native american museum. Security is heavy these days in DC. travel light, with an easily searchable bag and it will speed up your entry into buildings. I worked\lived there for 20 yrs and it was always safe in the monument\mall areas at night. just use common sense and enjoy.
04-20-2008, 01:26 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm baaaaack

Well I survived the trip but now have to unpack and process hundreds of raw images.... which at this point sounds fine as long as I don't have to walk anymore! I've got blisters on top of blisters and am a bit dehydrated (long flights do that to me...), so working at my computer seems like a nice break. First things first... time to crash in a more familiar/ comfortable bed! Thanks again everyone for the good advise and I'll be posting pics in another thread.

auf Wiedersehen!
04-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

glad to here you survived it can't wait to see some pictures