Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Introduction to Landscape Astrophotography

I came across this excellent tutorial that describes how to create fine art landscape astrophotographs.

11-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bookmarked. Thanks for fharing, as always
11-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you discount the FF bias, it is a great site. Thanks for sharing.

Jack
11-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Once you discount the FF bias, it is a great site. Thanks for sharing.

Jack
What did he say that wasn't true? With this type of photography clean high iso is a requirement, and that is where FF sensors have an advantage.

Last edited by cali92rs; 11-20-2013 at 03:44 AM.
11-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Going to look at it a bit closer, looks like some good information.
11-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
What did he say that wasn't true? With this type of photography clean high iso is a requirement, and that is where FF sensors have an advantage.
And pixel quality. ie, inherent capacity a RAW file has for editing(processing).
High ISO performance is one thing, though many people fail to recognize that noise performance goes far and away beyond the call of high ISO shooting. ie, in cases of super resolution, a RAW file will quickly show it's true colors in terms of pixel quality or noise characteristics. At which point, a little goes a long way.
11-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There's also AMP GLOW to be considered. My D800E's are terrible for it whereas my K-5 is not.

11-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I posted this because the technique was explained pretty well - along with some pretty nice example images. Yes, as laid out - it appears to be gear heavy, but making adjustments for what we have available should render some reasonably acceptable results. Obviously the K5 rather than a FF D800. The K5 has some of its own advantages as has been pointed out. Swapping Pentax available glass for the Nikon 14-24/f2.8 is going to be a challenge - but again, you go with what you have available, make adjustments and work through the problems. Yes, the Nikon lens is probably the best available - but photography is always going to be a set of compromises. I am thinking of taking my widest (10-17, 8-16 and 12-24) along with my fastest (31Ltd/1.8 and CZ 28/f2.8) then go looking for some views that would match the glass. There are settings that may compose to the narrower glass. For the wider glass, some open skies and let the settings align with the apertures I have - and then just work with it

I do admit that capturing a very interesting night sky is going to be a bit of a challenge - but a fun time will be had by all....

11-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Bookmarked. Thanks for fharing, as always
What he said...

Steve
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An APS-C DSLR on a tracking mount would eliminate most of the FF (or MF or LF) advantage since it would allow stacking and virtually noise-free images for the sky. If we are compositing in the foreground with a 2nd foreground exposure, we don't need to worry about a fuzzy foreground due to the tracking mount.

Jack
11-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
An APS-C DSLR on a tracking mount would eliminate most of the FF (or MF or LF) advantage since it would allow stacking and virtually noise-free images for the sky. If we are compositing in the foreground with a 2nd foreground exposure, we don't need to worry about a fuzzy foreground due to the tracking mount.

Jack
So, where do I get a tracking mount that won't break the bank?

Steve
11-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Using a tracking mount with a clean horizon sounds feasible. However, if you have large trees protruding into your sky, it seems that would be a difficult thing to blend in on your exposure for the foreground. I guess one would have to experiment to find out.
11-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My AstroTrac tracking mount and polar alignment scope (a necessity) is around $800.00 CDN these days. I never said it would be cheap.

Jack