Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Precision focusing - Possible?

Howdy, I'm having an issue focusing on the exact spot I'd like. I am using Spot as my AF selection, and it seems like the camera/lens rarely wants to focus on what the AF indicator is on. Instead, it generally focuses on something else, within the ( ) etchings on the screen. This is more pronounced when using a shorter focal length lens shooting subject farther than ten feet away, since the desired point of focus gets smaller within the ( ) area. Am I wrong to think that the exact focus point should be within the red rectangular indicator in the viewfinder? Thanks in advance.

12-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you talk about two separate things. first "spot" is metering, metering nob located under program selector on K5, AF point selector is under your right hand thumb. Second I think you having front and back focus problems.
12-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HOLLYW00D Quote
Am I wrong to think that the exact focus point should be within the red rectangular indicator in the viewfinder?
The red dot (or square) is just an indicator for which AF area is being used. It is NOT the size of the AF area. I think people get confused because it is called a point but it is not, it is an area. And the camera can focus on anything within that area. On the k-5 it is generally recognized that anything within the () brackets is fair game for the center point sensor. Not ideal and one of the things most disliked about the k-5, but it is what it is.
12-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
Does anyone know of a camera body, from any manufacturer, that would give me the precise focus "point" I long for? You can PM me if you don't want to blaspheme the names of other camera manufacturers.

12-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know of a camera body, from any manufacturer, that would give me the precise focus "point" I long for? You can PM me if you don't want to blaspheme the names of other camera manufacturers.
Well, my Canon 7D (and I assume most newer higher-end Canon bodies) has Spot-AF points that covers a smaller area to focus upon than the normal AF points. They don't have to be at the center of the frame. Very useful for macro work. This is an area where Pentax still lags.

M
12-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
How do you guys "deal" with this behavior? Can I tweak my technique in a way to help mitigate this? Shoot at a higher (in number) aperture?
12-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you guys "deal" with this behavior? Can I tweak my technique in a way to help mitigate this? Shoot at a higher (in number) aperture?
I'd suggest performing AF testing on each of them and fine-tune their performance with the in-body controls. That puts everything on a baseline.

M

12-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
I feel like the lenses/camera are where they should be, it's just that I am (was? ...cooling off now) ready to throw in the towel. Below are a couple of samples where the images are sharp where I want them to be, but if the subjects were farther away, trying to select a focus point using the center indicator, is futile.

12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Higher aperture number (smaller aperture) will give you more depth of focus and make it easier to hit focus, but that may not be what you want. I generally use manual focus when I want it right, you cannot expect the camera to know what you are focusing on when the depth of focus is so thin.

Another method is to use live view and zoom in. Put the camera on a tripod and using live view you can nail the focus wherever you want. Slower, but effective.
12-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for the suggestions. You've definitely helped settle my uneasiness.
12-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

you could also try the technique I've outlined here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...ml#post2508511

however, for this specific situation, manual focus would be my suggested focusing method.
12-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

learn how the focus points behave, keep your aperture stopped down for most purposes. When there's enough light, that's easy....
12-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Can I suggest you take a sheet of blank paper draw a small round or square mark on it and preferably with the camera on a tripod try to see how far away from the Mark you made the red spot is before it stops locking the focus on the spot? You will soon see that you can be some distance away and that's why we get focus problems.

It is in the end a AUTO function and no one claims them to be perfect just like the AUTO exposure settings.

All is not lost however , there is a almost forgotten technique you can use, it is often as fast as the auto but does need good eyesight and to have the viewfinder diopter adjustment carefully set so the etched lines are absolutely sharp.

What you then do is use MANUAL focus