Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #1

What I've learned about wedding photography

I've photographed several weddings as the primary (and paid!) photographer and have learned a few lessons:

1) You're being paid to make sure that there a plenty of wonderful pictures of the wedding regardless of bad weather, poor lighting conditions, uncooperative wedding coordinators, interfering family/guests, or equipment failure. And yes, all of these have happened to me!

2) Wear comfortable clothes (you'll be wearing those clothes for several hours) and soft-soled shoes (you'll need to move discreetly.)

3) Have backup equipment if possible and plenty of fully charged batteries (see point #1).

4) Know the program very well before the actual ceremony. The primary photographer is responsible for capturing the big moments and you can't stop the ceremony just because you're not in the right position or you need to change lenses (see point #1).

5) Have the bride or wedding coordinator approve your list of poses for the formals. Print them out and hand them to the bride or coordinator on the day of the ceremony and expect them to toss those out the window.

6) Most important of all, TAKE CARE OF THE BRIDE!!!! Have cold water or uncolored sports drinks available (no dark, potentially staining drinks!) as well as small finger-type snacks such as individually wrapped pieces of dark chocolate. If necessary, discretely remind the bride to stop a few minutes to eat and drink. I've had a couple of brides thank me for reminding them to sit down and eat because it's easy for some brides to get so caught up in the activities of the wedding that they will forget something as basic as food and water.

Please feel free to add your own observations!

04-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

nice tips Jun! i just shoot for fun, but these should apply to all photographers
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

im putting together a small pack to keep in my camera bag that includes:

bleach pen
bobby pins
safety pins
pocket knife
q-tips
unopenned colorless lipgloss
and stuff like that.

the women are always asking for stuff like that.....
04-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have several of those items as well! You reminded me of several other items I take with me, such as tape and dark plastic garbage bags to block the windows of the various rooms used by the bridal party for changing, several pens and notepads which I don't expect to get back, a mirror, couple of hair brushes, and mouthwash.

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
im putting together a small pack to keep in my camera bag that includes:

bleach pen
bobby pins
safety pins
pocket knife
q-tips
unopenned colorless lipgloss
and stuff like that.

the women are always asking for stuff like that.....

04-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Brilliant, thanks for the info - all very important things to think about and remember!