Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Variable Neutral Density Filter to over power the sun

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
I watched this video
and he was using this ND filter Tiffen 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter 77VND B&H Photo .

Does any Variable Neutral Density Filter exist which is cheaper that the Tiffen one or does another way exist to over power the sun without HSS?

Thank you in advance.

Mic

12-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Actually, he says he's using a Singh-Ray filter, which is considerably more expensive. I think all the decent-quality variables are fairly pricy, though. And Tiffen is one of the cheaper brands.

I do really like the effect he's getting, though I'm not too impressed with the posing directions he's giving her. He needs a fun, kid-oriented assistant that can get the subject to just mimic them into poses that look more natural.

Last edited by DogLover; 12-05-2013 at 10:54 PM.
12-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can achieve variable neutral density filter with two polarizing filters. I shot Venus traversing the sun that way
12-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
beauty dish? softbox to the rest of us

lie to your flash meter set the shutter speed to 1/30 meter the flash
change the meter reading up to 180 and if memory serves me right the aperture will increase to about the f2.8 mark
set camera to 1/180 use the aperture the flash now says for 180 same effect

Last edited by adwb; 12-06-2013 at 02:51 AM.
12-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
@ Lowell Goudge
Is there any difference between the quality of the following Polarizing filters and does Hoya CIR-PL allow to adjust the effect by turning the ring?
Hoya CIR-PL Hoya Filter 52mm CIR PL CPL Polarizing Polarizer Camera Lens Filters Genuine | eBay
and
NEW 52mm CPL Circular Polarising Filter FOR Nikon D3100 D3200 D5000 D5100 D5200 | eBay

@ adwb
I found this video
because I am not quite sure how to follow your description. However, the description in that video sounds a little different to your way. By any chance do have a video or a link to a more detailed description?

@ DogLover
Is there any difference between the quality of the following Variable ND Filters compare to Tiffen:
* Fotga 52mm Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Neutral Density ND2 ND4 ND8 TO ND400 | eBay
* 52mm Fader ND Variable Filter ND2 TO ND400 Variable Nicna 52mm Neutral Density | eBay
12-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mictadlo Quote
@ DogLover
Is there any difference between the quality of the following Variable ND Filters compare to Tiffen:
* Fotga 52mm Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Neutral Density ND2 ND4 ND8 TO ND400 | eBay
* 52mm Fader ND Variable Filter ND2 TO ND400 Variable Nicna 52mm Neutral Density | eBay
I've never heard of either of those brands, but they are so cheap that I just cannot imagine that they would be much good. Tiffen is one of the cheapest mainstream brands and the quality of their filters is fairly low, so anything that much cheaper than Tiffen would be dubious, at best.
12-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I've never heard of either of those brands, but they are so cheap that I just cannot imagine that they would be much good. Tiffen is one of the cheapest mainstream brands and the quality of their filters is fairly low, so anything that much cheaper than Tiffen would be dubious, at best.
Why put cheap filters with dubious optical quality in front of a expensive lens? If want to test and not spend money go buy a piece of welding helmet dark glass you might just be surprised how well that will work..

12-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

@mictadlo use his method but start by metering the background with a shutter speed of say 1/60 which you should be able to hand hold. That speed will allow you to increase the speed to 1/180 and darken the background with our a filter.

Last edited by adwb; 12-07-2013 at 04:36 AM.
12-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for all responses.

I found here
review about fotga Variable Neutral Density Filter. I am a newbie so I am not quite sure about it.
12-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you for all responses.

I found here
review about fotga Variable Neutral Density Filter. I am a newbie so I am not quite sure about it.