Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #1

Nightclub photography

Hi guys.
Tomorrow I'll go on my first job as a photographer in a nightclub. I'll go with my pentax K-30, a 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens, and a Metz 50 AF external flash.
Do any of you guys have any tips to create great shots in this kind of environment? What kind of settings should I use? I'm thinking ISO ~800, aperture ~f4 but I'm not sure about shutter speed. The nightclub has the biggest system of light/lasers which I personally think I should use to create some interesting ambient light. Anything in particular I should be aware of?

By the way, do any of you guys know how to make sure i have rear curtain sync on my flash with K-30?

Last edited by krissow; 12-13-2013 at 02:43 AM.
12-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are you taking pictures of? The punters? If so you really, really, really need a decent flash. A much faster lens would be good too. I know neither of these suggestions probably help you right now, but something that maybe should have been thought about prior to taking the job.
12-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dancing In The Dark?

Hello krissow,
Unless that club is lit up brighter than any I've ever seen, your ISO's will be much higher, like 3,200-5,000 or so. Even the strobe lights won't help much, you can't really time them to your exposure. The lights in clubs and concerts SEEM bright, because....we're standing in the dark.
But the camera sees it much differently.
Did you ever get that fast fifty prime you asked about on another thread? If so, bring that and anything else you can find that's f/2.8 or faster.
If flash is allowed (it rarely is, most music venues will kick you out for using any flash larger than a cellphone) I'd say try that, but overall you're looking at your fastest lenses, 4-digit ISO's and shutter speeds below 1/200s, maybe below 1/100s. A monopod would help, too.
Good luck!
Ron
12-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you try taking some test photos before you go. In a basement or dark room or something. I think you want second courtain flash (um, slow sync?), lens pre-focused, and just get really close to people (always the same distance from them, so the focus and flash exposure will be consistent). Use the lens at widest angle and aperture wide open or maybe stopped down just a little to avoid CA. If you use wide angle and flash (flash should freeze motion) you can get away with pretty long exposures, too, up to a second or so.
In such dark places, AF is often unreliable anyway.
Oh, and don't be afraid to interact with people, smile at them, give them a thumbs up, that way they will pose for you instead of getting shy or angry.
I would also suggest you shoot raw, so you can post process the photos in photoshop or something (there are even free raw photo editors). Even if you just hit "auto" in the raw converters with minimal manual work, you will probably get better noise performance, more contrasts, and you can adjust brightness.

12-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Some of the discussion here may be useful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/244145-nightlife...k5-540fgz.html
12-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not shoot natural light. Maybe natural is the wrong word, ambient light may be better.

If you are interested in the atmosphere, ambient light shots would be better. Just my$0.02
12-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #7

There is a lot of info about night club photography in this other forum

Night Club Photography Tips and Techniques - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Dance Club Lighting Technique - Canon Digital Photography Forums

night club photos (NWS) - Canon Digital Photography Forums

night club photos (NWS) (2) - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Last edited by jrafael; 12-13-2013 at 10:27 AM.
12-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Lasers destroy sensors, so beware of where you point the lens!
12-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This video is a few years old but has some good basics. There is a part 2 after this one.
12-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

..and maybe post a photo when you're done!
12-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Awesome exactly the info needed, very tired of all the dodgy shots i was getting.
12-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers guys. I did however have a bit of a problem whenever there was smoke from the machine. Seemed like I couldn't get any clear shots..

I made some decent shots and experienced a bit with longer shutter speeds and rear curtain sync and ss you can see in the images below the shutter speed and ambient light creates quite a different feeling
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Those are good shots. 18mm was the right choice, and yep, rear curtain makes that effect. Lots of people like it, as it makes the photograph look more "crazy". I mean, parties are supposed to be a haze, a blur, a chaos of lights and movement
I suggest you get closer to your subjects, though. Makes the viewer feel more like they are "there"
12-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it next time
I've also considered buying a wide angle fish eye lens. I'm thinking it might give an extra special touch but I'm not sure..
06-06-2014, 03:01 AM   #15

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you use an external flash in the end? If so, did you get the rear curtain sync working from the camera body or did you have to set it via the flash itself? I have a Metz 58 AF2 and a K5-II and I find the flash tends to ignore anything I try to dial into it from the camera body (such as exposure compensation, rear curtain sync mode, etc).