Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
People usually dont pay much attention to the tourists sitting there, drinking their coffee and eating their ice cream. You can take your time and maybe capture a nice photo or two.
That's what I usually do, just sit somewhere and "blend in". I can snap away and no one notices.

Phil.

12-20-2013, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #17

I love them both, Horuk! The biker one especially. You and I share a bit of the same taste, it appears. Keep on shooting!
02-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
I'm shooting people here in Southeast Asia currently. While in the US, I can be fine with a 55mm or so. However, being in Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang currently, I'm finding that having a little more stand-off like with a 135mm is giving me better results at least in getting folks to be natural. With the 55mm, people notice you clearly standing there shooting them. See attached, first 3 at 55, last 2 at 135.

When folks notice me pointing at them, I wave and toss a hello there way. If the person catches me beforehand, I'll point at the camera and ask for permission. I'd say about half the time, they nod no and I move on.

Also, on the more candid folks with a bit more cheer in them, I'll step in to them and share the picture. Good laughs or thumbs up usually. No pressure now to have taken a good shot. However, thanks to Facebook, crap shots are acceptable these days.

Next, I'm finding that I get more leeway acting as a friendly photographer that belongs. If I was doing the tourist thing, I don't think I'd get as much access to places or people. As an example, yesterday morning, after the train left, I wanted to catch the cleanup activities. I walked out on the platform and soon had a security dude coming over to send me on. As soon as I lifted the camera and mimed shooting, he went from frowns to smiles and headed back his way. Then, others left me alone as well.

Lastly, I don't look like a bum when shooting. My K-5 II is on a sling, my kit in a belt pack, and I'm wearing long pants and button-down shirts to help give myself more authenticity for being there taking photos.

Anyone have other recommendations on getting noticed, but being able to keep shooting them?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by comprock; 02-17-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: photo distances
02-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
. However, thanks to Facebook, crap shots are acceptable these days. that's why the wedding photography industry is in the state it is in .

02-18-2014, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spectral Quote
I have seen a lot of photos of people walking down sideways and such in urban settings, clearly in the field of view of the photographer but seemingly unphased by being photographed. I am a big fan of this kind of candid street photography that shows people in the midst of action/hustle bustle but can't imagine just walking around town snapping photos of people. Is there a good approach to this? Are these photos usually staged or are people generally open to being photographed?
Just smile, if people look amenable have a quick chat with them and show them some of your work. I keep a few cheapo business cards in my back pocket if I'm out and about, which just have my website address and nothing else on them. Some people are flattered that you want to take their photo.

Some are not so amenable though, at which point a little conciliatory wave and a quick shuffle off into the crowd is the best option. It's a bit long in the tooth, but the adage concerning forgiveness and permission rings true for street photography. Of course, it's far easier to just not be noticed in the first place, but it's hard not to stand out when using a whacking great tele lens.

I think the key is just knowing that you have a right to be out taking pictures on the street, and that 99% of people don't question that. Just have some confidence and move with purpose.

Last edited by Woolcott; 02-18-2014 at 01:54 AM.
03-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #21

Imo, in the states at least, people don't like to look stupid. So if you snap a photo of someone and they suspect you're deliberately trying to get them in the shot, they will be a little avert to that. If you look like a tourist, or are "focusing" on some obvious landscape object around the area, i.e. not looking like you're targeting any specific person, people are less suspicious imo. When people are put on the spot, you also kind of freeze and don't act normal, so it helps that too.

Unfortunately, I don't have any candid street shots as I haven't gone out and shot street with the cam for awhile, but I just got back from two conference events that helped remind me of some etiquette/people skills when I have a camera in hand. Tried to stay discreet and limit my shot volume; holding your cam hip-level with your finger on the shutter and a wide-angle at hyperfocal focus helps too!
03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #22
Forum Member

People are used to photographers and very often ignore them completely, unless photographers start to target them directly. Then situation becomes tense. To ease the nerves and create comfortable conditions for candid street photography, both for shooters and their targets, the use of a mirror tube is advised!
Adorama Mirror Scope Spyscope, Fits 58mm Filter Threads LNMS58