Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Candid street photography

I have seen a lot of photos of people walking down sideways and such in urban settings, clearly in the field of view of the photographer but seemingly unphased by being photographed. I am a big fan of this kind of candid street photography that shows people in the midst of action/hustle bustle but can't imagine just walking around town snapping photos of people. Is there a good approach to this? Are these photos usually staged or are people generally open to being photographed?

12-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This used to be a very popular genre of photography back when privacy laws were not as strict (or at least didn't catch up to the technology yet). These days, taking photos where you can recognize a person can be risky (depends on the local laws, of course).
One thing is definitely the culture. In some cultures, people don't worry about photographers, they just go about their business. This is usually typical for regions that are not as developed.
In more "modern" (for lack of a better word) countries people are incredibly suspicious of photographers and will frown, turn away, or even come up to you and start talking crap. Of course, this is more likely to happen if you are a male with a big black "pro looking" camera.

I know that back in the day, some street photographers would hide their camera in a prop. Some would set up a "trap" where a sensor would basically trigger a flash from one direction and the camera from another when the person stepped into focus. Another famous mantra is "shooting from the hip" where you simple set camera to MF, pre-focus (use zone focusing) a wide angle prime, and then hit the shutter when you are near a person. Without looking at them. With some practice, you can get quite good. And the last technique: Some photographers just take a lot of photos and only show the ones where the subject remained oblivious A photographer is "good" only when he doesn't show his bad/unsuccessful photographs
But again, these days, this kind of photography is not hassle-free. Read up on local laws.
12-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you use a long lens then you can snap away and most people don’t notice you.
Usually it’s better if you do not ask, as people tend to “pose” for you rather than look natural. It also depends on that what you are after in your street photography. I also find that most people will let you take their picture, if you do want to ask.

Phil.
12-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spectral Quote
I have seen a lot of photos of people walking down sideways and such in urban settings, ... Is there a good approach to this? Are these photos usually staged or are people generally open to being photographed?
Neither. They usually don't know they're the central subject, or, perhaps, guess they might be, but don't fuss about it.
If you were walking downtown and saw someone pointing a camera in your general direction, what would you do?
A) Keep walking?
B) Act extremely differently, change your behavior, because of the camera?
C) Run up to the photographer and demand that they delete the photo?
D) Duck into an alley?
Unless you are a bad-tempered movie star or perhaps in the witness protection program, most folks choose 'A'.
So, you, the photographer, move on, and so do they.
Having said that, I have a few 'moves' that keep the possible drama down to a minimum. Use a fairly wide angle prime, learn to focus, compose and shoot quickly, and only point the camera directly at the subject just before the actual shot. You're waving the camera around, pointing out the skyline, turning this way and that. As you sweep past their position, click. How could they know WHEN you actually took the photo?
Shoulder Shot. Wearing the camera on a strap, over your shoulder, you're resting your hand atop the camera, to stop it from swinging. Fairly high shutter speed, thumb on top of the shutter release. Camera pointing sideways. Walk past something (or, someone) interesting, click. Takes a bit of practice, you must angle the camera slightly upwards.
Table Top. You've stopped to rest, coffee, camera on a table or bench. Remote enabled, you've palmed the remote. Aim the camera at the sidewalk, then try a test shot with the remote. Look at the LCD screen as the preview flashes on. Got a good field of view? Background OK, composition good? OK, wait for someone interesting to walk by. Click.
You can aim at someone, wave, smile, say 'Hello' in a friendly way. That works more than you might expect, but not always.
But generally, I don't ask, don't make it obvious exactly when and where I click, and keep moving.
Never had a problem so far!
Ron

12-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
*Sorry I meant sidewalks not sideways.
12-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The key is not to act like a photographer; act like a normal old person and try to blend in.

Use the viewfinder instead of liveview and if someone that you were photographing looks at you, keep your eye to the viewfinder after you take the photo and pretend that you were taking a photo of something behind them or next to them. I haven't had any problems using this method. I pack light; only my blue K-30 and small DA 40 Limited, so not a too intimidating street set-up...
12-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Candid street photography is exciting and interesting.
People are mostly ok with being photographed but you do run into some that don't like to be the subjects.
I have deleted pictures on request.
I prefer to use wide angle lenses to be up close.
Some prefer to use longer lenses to keep some distance.
There are lots of opinions on how it should be done.
Personally I avoid pictures of the homeless and other peoples kids.

12-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
You've stopped to rest, coffee, camera on a table or bench. Remote enabled, you've palmed the remote. Aim the camera at the sidewalk, then try a test shot with the remote. Look at the LCD screen as the preview flashes on. Got a good field of view? Background OK, composition good? OK, wait for someone interesting to walk by. Click.
Remember to turn off you auto focus assist beam or your subject will be alerted!
When I have been harassed by a subject, or threatened, I employ a very aggressive defence. I had a rather mean, large man get pissed off and threaten me, I shot back,'who the f do you think you are, what are you paranoid? ", or I have in other cases used the comeback " why the hell would I want your photo, you some star or something?' These have worked for me countless times when I have been physically threatened. It's rare, but be prepared.
12-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
If you were walking downtown and saw someone pointing a camera in your general direction, what would you do?
I always strike a pose! It totally unnerves the photog!

I like Javier's approach (jgredline). He is upfront and uses 50mm lens or shorter, sometimes much shorter. He engages most of the people he shoots. Is there risk? Sure! Is it worth it? To tell you the truth, I am not sure, but I do like Javier's work.

Street Vision LA

For me personally, I tend to use one of my film cameras (people find them amusing) or if shooting digital, act like a tourist! As far as people in wretched misery...I see nothing desirable in exploiting them, even for art.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.
12-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
you do run into some that don't like to be the subjects.

...was really quite ticked...suspect that he was not where he was supposed to be or some-such...

Steve
12-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Don't be afraid of the throw-away shot...

Steve
12-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wide is good...

Steve
12-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
have look at and read about thomas to find out about his way of handling street photography. Flickr: Thomas Leuthard's Photostream

and my occasional efforts are here people and faces - a set on Flickr

alistair
12-16-2013, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Sometimes people even get shy over someone taking photographs of their dog! This man literally extended his hand and stepped in front of me. Then he jokingly told me I should pay him. I laughed and went on my jolly way. For some reason, some people think that the street photographer is making all sorts of money, in effect cheating them
Used the DA 35mm for this shot. And yes, you should turn off all camera sounds, assist beam, and probably even AF - for this kind of photos ,you need to have the lens in MF, pre-focused, and then snap away. Maybe even use Catch in focus, if your lens allows it (DA 35mm f2.4 doesnt, unfortunately)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 09:04 AM.
12-16-2013, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Ha, started looking at my older street type photographs. Here is one I took while sitting at a cafe, with the DA L 50-200mm and live view. People usually dont pay much attention to the tourists sitting there, drinking their coffee and eating their ice cream. You can take your time and maybe capture a nice photo or two. I really like the one I attached. Its not technically good (sharpness is poor, it was hand held with kit lens), but its just that odd moment.. where a young couple walks around the corner and sees the heavily tattooed man, wearing black leather and shiny metal rings. I caught the young man's expression just before he realized he was staring at the man and corrected it. And from the back, we can also see that the badass dude is balding, has a bit of a slump in his posture.. he didnt mean to be threatening, he was just standing there, perhaps the young couple made him think of his own youth. Its exactly this that I like to capture. The natural expressions of people, a study of their relationships and their emotional state. A slice of their history This can never be caught if people pose. But I haven't done this kind of photography in.. well, probably over a year. Now I only photography landscapes, monuments, wild animals,.. less hassle

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 09:04 AM.