Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
What version of Linux are you using?
Fedora 10 x-64 for the daily driver. Day job, big rack servers and little embedded industrials for numerical work run Fedora 14 x-64.
I often do photo crunching on one of the racks, starting to use Cinepaint which is like Gimp but 48 bit.

Apologies to Wild Hog, And I didn't know it got that cold in Japan but it was -5 F, -20 C here today with bright sun and blue sky. Even in the setting sun the snow is still EV15.

01-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Fedora 10 x-64 for the daily driver. Day job
Thank you for sharing. I have heard good things about Fedora.

Cheers!
01-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Snow shooting is a good time to haul out that old incident light meter....
The way to go if you have one. The alternative is to carry a grey card or meter on something other than the snow (unless snow texture is the whole point).

One other item is snow will bounce a lot of blue light. You might want to slightly bump up the color temp on your white balance to warm exposed faces. That or do what I do, shoot RAW (DNG) and use the white balance tool in Adobe Camera RAW (ACR). Point at a clean patch of snow and click - done.
01-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The way to go if you have one. The alternative is to carry a grey card or meter on something other than the snow (unless snow texture is the whole point).

One other item is snow will bounce a lot of blue light. You might want to slightly bump up the color temp on your white balance to warm exposed faces. That or do what I do, shoot RAW (DNG) and use the white balance tool in Adobe Camera RAW (ACR). Point at a clean patch of snow and click - done.
Thanks Jim, I'll pass this info on to my mate.

Cheers Ian

01-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

An easy way to get correct exposure with snowy landscape is to take an exposure reading off the palm of your hand, lock exposure, then take your picture. This method work properly if you are in a location with the same lighting as the landscape.

When you're used to use the AE-L button, it's real quick, and almost foolproof.