Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Extreme macro photography.

I have been reading about reversing lenses for extreme macro photography, and I'm very interested in trying it. I have been reading other threads concerning this issue, but I'm still having a hard time understanding. Please talk to me in as plain of english as you can because I'm a little slow on the uptake . I own a Pentax K 100D and a Pentax Kr. The lenses I'v purchased with these cameras are as follows....Pentax 50/100, Pentax 18/55, and a Tamron 70/300. The lenses I own from my old Pentax 35mm are as follows...Kiron 28mm F/2, Kiron 80-200mm F/4.5 and a Pentax 1:1.7 50mm. What type of coupling rings do I need (male or female) and does size of the rings matter? Does any ring fit a Pentax camera. Any information you can give me so I can be successful would be appreciated. Thank you!

01-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PentaxForums.com → Camera Help Central → Pentax Articles → Pentax Lens Articles → CHEAP MACRO -- Buying or exploiting a lens for ultraclose work

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...#ixzz2pGjPvcFy
01-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

Considering your equipment I would put the Pentax 50/100 or the Tamron on the camera. The Tamron should give you the biggest versatility in magnification.
Then you need thread-reversal rings as in the Link posted by gmans. Each has two thread diameters. One has to match the filter thread of your lens on the camera. The other diameter has to match the lens you want to mount reversed.
For the reversing lens you should take one of your older prime lenses because you can manually stop them down. The Kiron 28 mm should give the greatest magnification. The Pentax 50 mm is worth a try too.

Did not use this technique a lot so far, but this should give you a good start.
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How extreme do you want to go? You can,
1. Use a diopter lens
2. Use a reverse adapter
3. Use extension tubes
4. Use a macro lens
5. Use a bellows
6. Use an adapter and microscope
7. Use these solutions in various combinations

You can go very, very small if you want but as you get smaller things become more and more complex, you get shallower and shallower depth of field, and you will need more and more light direct on the subject.