Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know????

What info goes on the back of a photo if it is to be hung in a gallery or museum? Or does any info go on the front? Such as a sig and copyright?
thanks for any advise. I need some help before friday morning.

04-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm, my first guess would be to ask the museum/gallery curater.
04-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
I need some help before friday morning.
OK - I have to ask - does this mean that one of your photos is going into a gallery?
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
OK - I have to ask - does this mean that one of your photos is going into a gallery?
I am almost afraid to say, don't want to jinx things. My impressionist style pics will be considered for not a gallery but a museum! I will know Friday morning when I have my review if my pic is accepted for their reception & auction next Friday the 18th. If accepted this could turn out to be a huge deal for me with lots of exposure and who knows what else might come of it. So while I am very excited I am also a little scared too. Keeping my fingers crossed right about now and trying to breath, lol

Last edited by rmtagg; 04-09-2008 at 08:29 PM.
04-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Good luck on that, Rosemary! I second Buddha's advice to ask the museum curator regarding the what and where of attached info.
04-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Good luck on that, Rosemary! I second Buddha's advice to ask the museum curator regarding the what and where of attached info.
Thanks much. I have done so well up until now.....now am a ball of nerves! Am just working on getting everything as perfect as I can for friday morning.
04-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

On the photos that I have seen, Curtis, Adams, HCB, Weston etc., hanging in galleries and some museums the information is very basic. On the Adams, it was just signed - no year, no camera information - just the signature of the artist in the margin (not the mat) in PENCIL. Not the Caps - ink will fade - use pencil. (The Adams image was Moonrise over Hernandez - 10,000 USD - unmounted. The HBC I do not remember which one - but the price was 100,000 USD and they would throw in the frame - the customer provided shipping)

When my wife and I went to SAM (Seattle Art Museum) there were some post WWII silver images. All there was on the image was the artists signature and the date - again in pencil. If I were you I would not worry about any camera information and I would not put anything on the back of the image. Depending on how you are producing the prints (inkjet, laser, laser on photopaper) inks have a tendence to bleed through the image.

So here is what I would think of doing. Printing the images with a boarder on real archive quality photopaper. Sign the image and put the date of printing. Put a series number if it is a limited number of prints. As a add on, I would find some good rag acid free paper and write all the techno stuff on it (say about the size of a business card) and include it with the image. When the image is framed I would mount card either under the mat or archived glued to the back of the backer board. It has been my experience that people who buy images do not give a rip about camera, lens, exposure etc. ---- it's all about the image.

Also, don't get carried away with the size of your signature. The people are purchasing your image - not how you endorse checks.

I also agree with Budda, talk to several museum curator's and gallery owners. If the gallery owner/manager is interested, they just might ask to see more of your work, which would be very cool.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

04-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
On the photos that I have seen, Curtis, Adams, HCB, Weston etc., hanging in galleries and some museums the information is very basic. On the Adams, it was just signed - no year, no camera information - just the signature of the artist in the margin (not the mat) in PENCIL. Not the Caps - ink will fade - use pencil. (The Adams image was Moonrise over Hernandez - 10,000 USD - unmounted. The HBC I do not remember which one - but the price was 100,000 USD and they would throw in the frame - the customer provided shipping)

When my wife and I went to SAM (Seattle Art Museum) there were some post WWII silver images. All there was on the image was the artists signature and the date - again in pencil. If I were you I would not worry about any camera information and I would not put anything on the back of the image. Depending on how you are producing the prints (inkjet, laser, laser on photopaper) inks have a tendence to bleed through the image.

So here is what I would think of doing. Printing the images with a boarder on real archive quality photopaper. Sign the image and put the date of printing. Put a series number if it is a limited number of prints. As a add on, I would find some good rag acid free paper and write all the techno stuff on it (say about the size of a business card) and include it with the image. When the image is framed I would mount card either under the mat or archived glued to the back of the backer board. It has been my experience that people who buy images do not give a rip about camera, lens, exposure etc. ---- it's all about the image.

Also, don't get carried away with the size of your signature. The people are purchasing your image - not how you endorse checks.

I also agree with Budda, talk to several museum curator's and gallery owners. If the gallery owner/manager is interested, they just might ask to see more of your work, which would be very cool.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Oh, thank you for this info! I have my prints printed by a company that works with professional photographers so that I know the quality is excellent and I don't have to worry about bleeding and such. I like the idea of attaching something to the back. I am thinking more on the lines of the date and my name. I agree, don't think buyers are interested in camera info. I do think I will do the limited print numbering with these photos. I feel so blessed to have an opportunity to have several of my photos up for consideration, this experience is almost dream like right now
04-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What ever happens Rosemary be sure to let us know. Good luck and congratulations for even being considered!

NaCl(you go girl!)H2O
04-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #10

Congrats on getting considered! I would love to see some of the work that is being looked at.
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

As far as signing, titling, or dating the front of your print, do what you want. If there is a way to do it, it's been done. I've seen no signatures, sigs on the mat, sigs on the mount, sigs on the print border, sigs in the image; all hanging in the same museum. Same with titles, dates, and series info. Do what you want.
04-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Exciting news congrats !
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
As far as signing, titling, or dating the front of your print, do what you want. If there is a way to do it, it's been done. I've seen no signatures, sigs on the mat, sigs on the mount, sigs on the print border, sigs in the image; all hanging in the same museum. Same with titles, dates, and series info. Do what you want.
At the level that you are talking about here, I agree with Matt. It isn't a photograph, it's a piece of photographic art. You are the artist. I would suggest not getting carried away with it. You're new to the scene, so stay humble and let the image do the work. Until you become famous, your signature doesn't add to the art work. Even the likes of Ansel Adams signed, dated, and numbered a lot of his images on the reverse side.

Best of luck,
Brian
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rosemary-

You do nice work. I especially like photo #3 in your impressionist folder.

Good luck; I'll be waiting for the good news tomorrow...
04-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. It is very exciting and I am nervous. My prints cam in today and I am beyond happy with them. But now I will have to reprint them because I want them for my wall, lol he he he. I decided to use an archival fine pen and sign my name as small as I can with the copyright symbol and year on the front in the bottom right corner. I can't tell you how exciting it was to do this I have a lot to learn and a long way to go with this but I feel I have been so blessed to have a shot like this. In a way I can't wait for 9:30 tomorrow to get here, lol but a part of me is a bit afraid too. What if they don't like my photos? How will I feel about that? So it is a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I have them matted and framed, all ready to go I think. I am thinking I should take pics of them all completed like this. this is a first of what would be great to be many times experience. I will post tomorrow either way it goes. But it should be encouraging to others to get out there and see what you can do and where you might be able to go You don't know unless you try