Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The DA 55-300mm is one of my worst lenses for focus hunting. A little trick I've learned is to reset focus to infinity after each series of shots. I do this because the camera invariably starts looking for a target by racking inwards. If the subject is beyond the starting point, it's a long way to minimum focus and back. Even then, it will often miss focus while racking out, and you're on the way to infinity focus.

When focus locks, you needs to confirm that your intended subject has been acquired before squeezing off the shot. Sometimes you will not be able to lock focus on a low contrast bird, or the camera may find other things more appealing, like a branch or feeder detail and focus there.

If auto-focus is hunting, or focussing on a distraction, switch to manual focus. Hopefully you have a DA version with quick-shift, so you can switch to MF quickly. I have to say though, I have to use Q-S far less frequently with the K-3 than I did with the K20D and K-x.

Wildman, the detail in your nuthatch is stunning.
Sorry, this is probably a dumb question, but how do I reset the focus to infinity?

01-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Sorry, this is probably a dumb question, but how do I reset the focus to infinity?
Turn the focus ring clockwise, all the way (lens is minimum length at infinity focus and 55mm).

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-09-2014 at 11:04 AM.
01-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Focus on an object that is very, very far away .
Or manually do it.
01-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Turn the focus ring clockwise, all the way (lens is minimum length at infinity focus and 55mm).
If you have the DA L hold down the lens release button or switch to MF first.

01-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you have the DA L hold down the lens release button or switch to MF first.
Good point. My advice refers to a lens with quick-shift.