Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Northern Lights

Can someone post their technique to photograph aurora borealis?

I'd be curious to try, there are favorable observation conditions now:

Incoming Coronal Mass Ejection could trigger G3 (Minor) Geomagnetic Storm conditions

You can eventually observe a live broadcast of Northern lights here

Hoping I am not too late for this one as I got the info in the news this AM...

01-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My concern is the page refers to 'tonight' as the 9th which was yesterday. Incidentally I went out yesterday evening to try my luck after UK news channels went overboard about auroras; I got sod all and I haven't seen much evidence of anyone having any more luck than me.
So alas I cannot offer advice on successfully capturing the Northern Lights - here's a shot taken at night waiting for the non appearance 500px / This is what happens when the aurora doesn't turn up by John Davis
01-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, unfortunately they talk about probability, not certainty with such phenomenon.

Your picture is nice anyway!
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

In terms of technique there are a lot of aurora shots on 500px and most shots note the camera settings so you can check what aperture, shutter and iso settings worked for the pictures that impressed.
One other thing - buried in the menu on my K-r is noise reduction on time exposures, but be aware this can put the camera out of action for some time after the exposure; certainly with the K-r the noise reduction takes about as long as the exposure.

01-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exposure is not very difficult, I did a bit of research prior to a Norwegian holiday, and the first (and only good) night on land produced fairly good images: K5 Sigma 10-20 iso1600 f/4.5 20s. This combination was very close to what was recommended EV for aurora. A goood wide angle or ultra wide angle is handy for the vast sky views.

Later shots from ship were challenging because of foreground horizon blur from ships motion (my bad luck). Both at 10mm FL
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A nice couple of shots. We are able to see them here in northern NY from time to time but not last night or at least not the several times I went outside. While I have seen them many times, usually at work when I worked nights, I have never got a picture.
01-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We didn't see any aurora borealis here in Ottawa last night (9 January). Despite the scientific predictions and media hype, the show didn't materialize, and the sky clouded over at 21:00 local time. Unfortunate, because the evening started out with clear skies, a relatively warm temperature (-8 C) and no wind.

Rather than driving out of the city and waiting in a cold, lonely field, I monitored several web sites for a indication of possible activity. I had all of my gear and winter clothing ready to go.

These sites are useful for monitoring current auroral conditions and predictions:

Aurora Forecast | Geophysical Institute

Forecast - Map (zones)

OVATION Aurora

http://www.irf.se//Observatory/?link=Magnetometers

- Craig

01-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This reminded me of some photos Duplo posted nearly 5 years ago. They must have left a lasting impression!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/12678-aurora-borealis...ght-4-img.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/14863-aurora-playground-2-img.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/12581-aurora-borealis...ued-5-img.html

He certainly did them justice. Nice to be able to step out of your nice warm loungeroom and see this spectacle!