Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go and make a premium picture.

What it takes to make a good photo? Many things, but sometimes it's enough to go to an atractive location (national park etc) and snap away (or so it seems)

04-11-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

And of course get it technically correct.
04-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Did somebody paint the left rock for Peter Lik?

And what location is it, btw?

EDIT
found it:

North Coyote Buttes
Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness
UT/AZ border, USA
04-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Did somebody paint the left rock for Peter Lik?
It looks like Peter waited until later (or earlier) in the day

04-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately "The Wave" is one of the most over-photographed locations on the entire planet. Every well traveled landscape photographer has this same shot, and I've seen it on dozens of websites. If I ever get out there I'm sure I'll add yet another shot to the mix, but I will be working overtime to do something different. LOL
04-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing by the condition of the sandstone, that ou're not allowed to walk in there. The 'floor' of the 'bowl' doesn't appear to have a worn footpath. As you said Mike, this is a much overworked spot to shoot from. Kinda like the Empire state building, Golden Gate bridge, Eiffel tower, Niagra falls and more local to me Peggy's Cove Lighthouse.

Funny that 10's of thousands of shots are taken of that lighthouse every year. It's on governement brochures and web sites all the time. I've been there myself about 50 times and never once taken a picture of it. Just too overworked.
04-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like Julies version over Peters, Peters seems like it was painted because it is not consistent, especially when you put it next to Julies. But I could be wrong.

04-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I like Julie's version because it was shot with a Pentax.

I always shoot the typical shots, but I'll also (usually unsuccessfully) look for alternate angles. If the alternates were that obvious, they would've already been shot. I call these "trophy" shots, as in, "I went here, and here is my trophy".
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Funny that 10's of thousands of shots are taken of that lighthouse every year. It's on governement brochures and web sites all the time. I've been there myself about 50 times and never once taken a picture of it. Just too overworked.
Though I wish I could get there again just to take photos of the rocks with my Pentax. Some cool rocks there.

And I remember some amazing lobster sandwiches for cheap. But that was in the seventies and times have changed.
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Well, I like Julie's version because it was shot with a Pentax.
HAHAHA!!! I like where your head is at.

Last edited by Buddha Jones; 04-12-2008 at 06:00 AM.
04-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've seen shots of people standing in it so I don't think there are (or at least were) any restrictions. It evidently a strenuous 3 mile hike (6 miles round trip), there are few marked trails and it is NOT specifically marked on maps so you have to have a GPS to find it. They limit hiking permits as well. These factors could explain why there is no obvious "trail".
04-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The exact spot is here...

I wanted to record the exact location for everybody else here, esp. as it is a position one has to find by wandering around, i.e., is not evident.

To the exact meter, it is this: http://www.livis.de/download/pub/photo/TheWave.kmz

You may have to download, make sure it is named .kmz (rather than .zip!), and then click on it (will open in Google Earth). Or just click on the link. Depending which browser you are on. Or open as ZIP and click on the embedded .kml.

Once in Google Earth, you not only see 2 other shots of "The Wave", but also a lot of neighborhood shots, some great.

Enjoy.

Last edited by falconeye; 04-12-2008 at 02:58 AM.
04-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I've seen shots of people standing in it so I don't think there are (or at least were) any restrictions. It evidently a strenuous 3 mile hike (6 miles round trip), there are few marked trails and it is NOT specifically marked on maps so you have to have a GPS to find it. They limit hiking permits as well. These factors could explain why there is no obvious "trail".
Mike,

I don't think there are any restrictions as to using common sense in this particular park. There are very strict criteria for getting to shoot in this particular park in the first place. From memory, which can be a problem at times, I recall that this park only allows 40 people per days to enter the park. If i recall correctly, 1/2 of them are by reeservation and the rest are by lottery on the day by those that are present.

While the WAVE is the standard image scene here, there are many other more creative images that are capable of being made at this park. There are some places capable of producing stunning and complex panos or graphics from the varied rock formations that exist in the park besides the layered sandstone of the WAVE type.

Stephen
04-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
there are many other more creative images that are capable of being made at this park.
Yes exactly.
For those interested, click on my link above into Google Earth and there are 2 articles and maybe hundreds of additional shots.

It is also said in one of the linked articles that permits are limited to only 10 per day!
04-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

Take a look here - it has Longitude and Latitude without having to unzip anything.
The Wave, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spring appears to be the most common time to go there. It would be interesting to see it in winter, if you have a vehicle that will get you to the trail heads. At 5,225 feet and winter snows - it would be a real challenge to get there. It is interesting that most shots are around noon, so there are few shadows - during the summer that would be really difficult to do.

I have seen hundreds of images of this formation, especially when you spend some time in the SW USA. Images of this formation and Antelope Canyon Antelope Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are in nearly every SW photographers portfolio at some point.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL