Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Need help with PSE5 Camera Raw Plug in

I've downloaded the 3.6 plug in which supports the K100D.

When I try to open a raw file , .pef extension, the editor tells me it can't open the file because it is the wrong kind of file.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Help!!!!!

01-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of the top, I'd say, you didn't install it in the right spot. Or that you failed to remove the existing ACR plug-in.

I'm not on a machine with Elements, but under the help menu of Photoshop you can view details about plug-ins---if Elements has a similar feature, you should check there first to see what the program loaded when it launched. Then return to the installation instructs and try again.
01-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Eddy,
make sure the Camera Raw.8BI file is copied to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

At least that is where it goes in PSE3
01-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Eddy,
make sure the Camera Raw.8BI file is copied to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

At least that is where it goes in PSE3
I went back and checked the location of the file. It was where it was supposed to be which was in the file you referenced above.

I ended up unloading PSE5 from my computer then reloading it. After doing so, it opened the RAW files OK.

Not sure exactly what happened, but it seems to work now.

"Things that go "bump" in the night

01-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right location!

<RANT>
But why a duplicate answer? Perhaps I just awoke with a testy attitude this morning, but...

By going through the menu Eddy can learn a new trick--he can check on all his loaded plug-ins, not just ACR.

By suggesting he return to the instructions, he is pointed at the fundamental concept of RTFM--someplace we all should visit and visit often.

On the surface, your answer is shorter; well, at least until he tries to explore version numbers. If he goes through properties its about six clicks longer.

I understand the need to be conversant-to communicate, to interact; I'm no stranger to forums; perhaps Eddy has me blocked--my loss. But here and in several other threads on this forum there seems to be an overriding need to repeat answers---already good answers, nice short answers, completee and informative answers---with repetitive material, several times from several different POV. Simply for the sake of repetition, not for new information, not to clarify (here at least, I actually did access a copy of Elements 5, unlike the follower-upper) as soon as that machine came on-line.

I'm not picking on you in particular; not trying to stir-up trouble. I'm just puzzled and confused. One of the first things I learned in elementary school was that when one helper was sufficient, everybody else needed to keep quiet and avoid cluttering the situation--ahhh, the benefits of a catholic school education.
</RANT>
01-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Although "About Plug Ins" will tell the version installed, it still does not show the location. I happened to be at a PCwith PSE loaded (albeit an earlier version) and could verify the location.

You may rant to your hearts content Sir John
We all do it once in awhile. Doesn't bother me.

Cheers
-Alan
01-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Of the top, I'd say, you didn't install it in the right spot. Or that you failed to remove the existing ACR plug-in.

I'm not on a machine with Elements, but under the help menu of Photoshop you can view details about plug-ins---if Elements has a similar feature, you should check there first to see what the program loaded when it launched. Then return to the installation instructs and try again.
Thanks,

I went back and checked the location to which I loaded the file and it was in the right place.

I checked the Help menu and did not find it to be very helpful. I appreciate all of the help from everyone one here and, between all of the phone calls, am trying to respond to everyones help.

As I mentioned in another post. I unloaded PSE5 and reloaded it and can now open the RAW files.

Unfortunately, I'm not a real smart guy and it takes me a bit longer to comprehend what may seem easy to others.

BTW, I am familiar with RTFM and I did give it a shot before posting my original question.

Thanks

Ed

Last edited by Ed in GA; 01-22-2007 at 09:31 AM.
01-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Eddie,
I saw this post this morning before I went to work and I had responded and I also wanted to know if you had the file for he camera RAW in the right place. but when I went to post it something happened and I lost my answer to you. I'm glad to see the situation has been resolved and you can now process your RAW files. and Thanks Alan for giving some great information.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 01-23-2007 at 01:21 PM.
01-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Right location!

<RANT>
But why a duplicate answer? Perhaps I just awoke with a testy attitude this morning, but...

By going through the menu Eddy can learn a new trick--he can check on all his loaded plug-ins, not just ACR.

By suggesting he return to the instructions, he is pointed at the fundamental concept of RTFM--someplace we all should visit and visit often.

On the surface, your answer is shorter; well, at least until he tries to explore version numbers. If he goes through properties its about six clicks longer.

I understand the need to be conversant-to communicate, to interact; I'm no stranger to forums; perhaps Eddy has me blocked--my loss. But here and in several other threads on this forum there seems to be an overriding need to repeat answers---already good answers, nice short answers, completee and informative answers---with repetitive material, several times from several different POV. Simply for the sake of repetition, not for new information, not to clarify (here at least, I actually did access a copy of Elements 5, unlike the follower-upper) as soon as that machine came on-line.

I'm not picking on you in particular; not trying to stir-up trouble. I'm just puzzled and confused. One of the first things I learned in elementary school was that when one helper was sufficient, everybody else needed to keep quiet and avoid cluttering the situation--ahhh, the benefits of a catholic school education.
</RANT>
"When all else fails, read the instuction manual." (Repeat)
Much of the stuff that I read in the several fora to which I contribute is generated by people who seem to have a total aversion to doing their own homework.

Is it laziness, lack of self security, fear of the written word, expectation that others exist solely for their benefit and convenience, or maybe just a need to be chatty? Or any combination of the above (and more.)

Like you, I get a bit irritated by the repeated questions especially when the topic has been adequately dealt with in previous threads. I often find that "beginners" questions could have been resolved without resort to the forum if the enquirer had taken the trouble to undertake a little self-education.
There is a mass of material available 'out there' and it really is mostly a matter of "beginning at the beginning."
It's "back to basics" every time.

And don't be ashamed to read material intended for children; it is often better written than many of the 'grown up' editions.

Life is mostly about persistence. Don't expect things to come easy, they rarely do. 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration is about as good as it gets.

Treat every bit of help that any one may give you as a privilege. You're not entitled to it. It's some one else's generosity, not some god given right.

End of my Rant.
01-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
"When all else fails, read the instuction manual." (Repeat)
Much of the stuff that I read in the several fora to which I contribute is generated by people who seem to have a total aversion to doing their own homework.

Is it laziness, lack of self security, fear of the written word, expectation that others exist solely for their benefit and convenience, or maybe just a need to be chatty? Or any combination of the above (and more.)

Like you, I get a bit irritated by the repeated questions especially when the topic has been adequately dealt with in previous threads. I often find that "beginners" questions could have been resolved without resort to the forum if the enquirer had taken the trouble to undertake a little self-education.
There is a mass of material available 'out there' and it really is mostly a matter of "beginning at the beginning."
It's "back to basics" every time.

And don't be ashamed to read material intended for children; it is often better written than many of the 'grown up' editions.

Life is mostly about persistence. Don't expect things to come easy, they rarely do. 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration is about as good as it gets.

Treat every bit of help that any one may give you as a privilege. You're not entitled to it. It's some one else's generosity, not some god given right.

End of my Rant.
Well, that settles it.

Thanks to those of you who were kind enough to help me with a problem. After further review, the answer I was seeking was not in the instructions and I termendously appreciate your help.

For those who took exception to my query and consider it being "lazy", God forbid you should ever have a question.

It is settled though. It will be a cold day in H*ll before I ask a question on this forum again.

Y'all have a nice day.

Ed
01-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Hi Eddie,
I saw this post this morning before I went to work and I had responded and I also wanted to know if you had the file for he camera RAW in the right place. but when I went to post it something happened and I lost my answer to you. I'm glad to see the situation has been resolved and you can now process your RAW files. and Thanks Jeff & Alan for giving some great information.

Good Shooting.
Thanks David,

When I first downloaded the plug in, I was unsure what the .dng coverter was/is and did not download it. Even after inquiring on another forum I was told that I probably didn't need it. Well, I'm learning and not having the .dng converter downloaded was, indeed, the problem. Your help, along with the others who were kind enough to offer suggestions, helped me solve the problem. And, after playing with it, I now have enough basic knowledge to continue. Thanks again.

Ed
01-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
Inactive Account

You're welcome Eddie,

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and that goes for every one here on the forum. I don't know why there are people out there that think the only way to get information is to RTFM How about the people who read the manual and still have trouble. Not everyone is a computer wizard or even knows what questions to look up in a help screen. If it bothers you to help some one out then don't respond to the post.

Eddie is a long time member here compared to the two members who just can't stand to give information without telling some one they are lazy or not worth answering them because they didn't read the manual. Now for their information the answer Eddie was looking for was not in the help menu so he could read the manual all day and chase his tail getting no where.

Now thanks to you two a very good member and a good friend to the forum feels he can no longer ask questions of any kind here. I hope this makes you feel very big and proud of your selves.

Why in Gods name couldn't you just either answer the question or just never bother to answer the post. Neither one of you had it right but you sure did make a big stink over nothing. And then to belittle another member that did try and help, And another senior member to boot.

for your information this forum is intended for members to share information related to our hobby or profession. No one has to RTFM to exchange ideas or ask for information.

Good Shooting.
01-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #13

My <<rant>> was not directed at any one individual in particular!

It always amazes me that some folks are so ready to take offence when clearly none is intended.

Offence can rarely be given; generally it can only be taken: And more often than not by the people to which, if at all, it was directed.

As for 'spitting the dummy' simply because you percieve some unintended slight; it smacks of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.

Sorry Mo, but I just can't let this puerile behavior pass me by.

It's so patently obvious at times that the time and effort contributed by so many is being abused by a minority who can't, or won't, take the trouble to research past postings, where the question that they are posing has been previously discussed in detail.

That said, the problem seems to occur much less frequently on this forum than it does on many others.

If my direct approach comes across as unacceptable to the majority of members, I will desist and resort to being merely a 'lurker'. Always supposing, of course, that I don't get banned completely

Please accept this<<rant>> in the way in which it is intended: i.e. to help to maintain the high quality of the site.

Ciao 4 Nao

Rolly